What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the Official FAA designator?

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
For filing purposes, what's the official designator for RV's. I've looked at the AOPA's website link to the FAA publication, http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/acdesig.html and it doesn't have Vans on it. One FAA link to 7110.65 Contractions, http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/CNT/5-1-V.htm shows RV8 as the designator, but the AOPA online flight planner won't accept this. Shows invalid aircraft type.
What do you guys put in the A/C TYPE blank on your flight plans?

Try ICAO website:

http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm

Manufacturer Model Type Designator Description Engine Type Engine Count WTC Photo
VAN'S RV-10 RV10 Landplane Piston 1 L
VAN'S RV-9 RV9 Landplane Piston 1 L -
VAN'S RV-8 RV8 Landplane Piston 1 L
VAN'S RV-7 RV7 Landplane Piston 1 L -
VAN'S RV-6 RV6 Landplane Piston 1 L
VAN'S RV-4T RV4T Landplane Turboprop 1 L -
VAN'S RV-4 RV4 Landplane Piston 1 L
VAN'S RV-3 RV3 Landplane Piston 1 L -

I use RV9 for my RV9A and never had any problem.

Last edited:
Just beat me to it.....

Make sure you put the apostrophe in Van's...... Otherwise it won't come up.

Phil

OK, but..

Has anybody got the new AOPA online flight planner to accept RV8 or RV-8 as a type designator. It will not let you use apostrophe's in the "Make and Model" line, hence can't put VAN'S and does not recognize VANS or RV8, or RV-8.
Just wondering if anybody else has figured out how to make it work without getting an error message say unrecognized type.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
FAA Order 7110.65 Appendix C

could this be the information you are looking for?? The type designator starts with H, i.e. HXA for a/c with indicated air speed of 100 knots or less.

FAA Order 7110.65, Air Traffic Control
Effective February 14, 2008
Includes Change 1 Effective July 31, 2008

Appendix A: Fixed-Wing Aircraft | Appendix B: Helicopters/Rotorcrafts

Appendix C.

Aircraft Information

Specific Homebuilt/Experimental Aircraft

Homebuilt and Experimental Aircraft*

Designator Criteria
Type
Designator
Performance Information**

Climb Rate
(fpm)
Descent Rate (fpm)
SRS Cat.

Aircraft with cruise (indicated) airspeeds of 100 knots or less
HXA
I

Aircraft with cruise (indicated) airspeeds of greater than 100 knots, up to and including 200 knots
HXB
I

Aircraft with cruise (indicated) airspeeds greater than 200 knots
HXC
I

NOTE-
*Configuration diversity and the fact that airworthiness certificates are issued to aircraft builders, vice manufacturers, necessitates the assignment of generic aircraft type designators based on cruise performance, rather than specific manufacturer and normal descriptive/performance information.

**All performance criteria has been estimated because configuration diversity precludes determining precise aircraft-specific information.

aopa internet flight planner

I see what you meant. Just tried the new AOPA Internet Flight Planner and encountered the same error message. I added HXB as the FAA designator and kept RV9 as the make and model and it worked.

On fltplan.com and AOPA real-time flight planner there is no FAA Designator field and I was able to file just as before.

Last edited:
I've seen both of these designations in various documents...online I can understand using HXB, but when I call up for flight following and say type aircraft, am I "supposed" to say HXB or RV_ ?

I say the latter and haven't gotten any complaints so far, but this is mostly in RV-dense California.

Designators

I have an inquiry into the FAA on this and they have responded twice that they are still researching! :cool:

In my research I finally got an answer from a center controller that they prefer the more accurate designators vs. the simple three. I too have used accurate designators all over the country with no problem. Never tried one of the 3 before. In the AOPA application it's just a matter of programming and that issue wasn't a priority in getting it out of Beta testing. Took some getting used to but I really like it now.

...In the AOPA application it's just a matter of programming and that issue wasn't a priority in getting it out of Beta testing. Took some getting used to but I really like it now.
The AOPA web flight planner will take RV6. It gives a warning about validity but does take it.

Aircraft type/Special Equipment

I may be missing something here, but it should be like any other airplane: RV-9/(equipment code), just like any other airplane; B-727/A, or Archer/G

Enter your aircraft type and special equipment. The equipment codes are as follow:

No DME
/X No transponder
/T Transponder with no Mode C
/U Transponder with Mode C

DME
/D No transponder
/B Transponder with no Mode C
/A Transponder with Mode C

TACAN only [/B]
/M No transponder
/N Transponder with no Mode C
/P Transponder with Mode C

Area navigation (RNAV with LORAN, VOR/DME, or INS) [/B]
/Y No transponder
/C Transponder with no Mode C
/I Transponder with Mode C

Advanced RNAV with transponder and Mode C
/E Flight Management System (FMS) with DME/DME and IRU positioning update
/F FMS with DME/DME position updating
/G Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)
/R Required Navigational Performance (RNP)

Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum (RVSM)
/J /E with RVSM
/K /F with RVSM
/L /G with RVSM
/Q /R with RVSM
/W RVSM

No Dash

Last time I checked, RV# (ie: RV3, RV4, RV6, etc...) was the official designator. No dash is to be used. Leave the "A" off even if a nose dragger. RV7/U, RV7/G, etc...

I haven't had the luxury yet since I'm at the 23 hour mark but can't wait. My honey do list has turned into my honey go list and is growing.

I am more confused now

So far only (for what I have tried) AOPA Online Flight Planner flag for the "FAA Designator". If you ignore the warning, it will take your RVx designator. In the aircraft information page, the first line is "Make and Model". Of course, it should be RVx. The second line is FAA designator. Based on http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/acdesig_c.htmlFAA Order 7110.65, Air Traffic Control, Effective February 14, 2008, Includes Change 1 Effective July 31, 2008 you should put HXB as the designator. The reason is stated at the bottom of Appendix C as

NOTE-
*Configuration diversity and the fact that airworthiness certificates are issued to aircraft builders, vice manufacturers, necessitates the assignment of generic aircraft type designators based on cruise performance, rather than specific manufacturer and normal descriptive/performance information

However, on page 5-1-65 (and 5-2-41) of Order JO 7340.2, Contractions, June 5, 2008, RVx is listed as official designators. The last page of this document does list HXA, HXB, and HXC as designators for homebuilt.

Why does FAA give experimental aircarfts specific designators then say not to use specific manufacturer information?
Of course ICAO does list RVx style designator for RVs.

Last edited:
what identifier to use when filing a flight plan?

What is the 4 letter identifier for a Vans RV-7 to use for aircraft type when filing a flight plan?

According tothe latest FAA/ICAO aircraftvtype code list, the Vans Aircraft are:

RV3
RV4
RV6
RV7
RV8
RV9
RV10

Also, when filing a flight plan, you are required to indicate "experimental" in the comment box.

Also, when filing a flight plan, you are required to indicate "experimental" in the comment box.

Interesting. I had not seen that requirement before. Do you have an official reference?

Check your OPERATING LIMITATIONS. The later versions of the OpLims will say:

"The pilot in command of this aircraft must notify air traffic control of the experimental nature of this aircraft when operating into or out of airports with an operational control tower. When filing instrument flight rules (IFR), the experimental nature of this aircraft must be listed in the remarks section of the flight plan."

The above is in the latest release of FAA Order 8130.2.

Yep!

Like Gary says, It's been in the operating limitations since at least before the turn of the century.

Back