What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

solid state instrumentation

andrsnj

Anybody who has any experience on the new instruments from Dynon and others please let me know what you know. I'm getting ready to buy my instruments and I want to get it right the first time if that's possible.

Look in the clasified section there is an entire Blue Mountain EFIS One for sale

Electronic Instrumentation

andrsnj said:
Anybody who has any experience on the new instruments from Dynon and others please let me know what you know. I'm getting ready to buy my instruments and I want to get it right the first time if that's possible.
I have the Dynon DA10 and the Garmin 296 in my airplane and have been totally satisfied, The DA-10 does not quite keep up in loop but does in roll, but then I dont normally do aerobatics in the soup. I would not waste the extra money on the Garmin 396 as I feel this aircraft should be on the ground if the WX reqires a 396. I personally would not bother with the angle of atack option on the Dynon. The units are light ,very reliable, and easy to install. Roger Moore [email protected]

I have a Dynon D-10 and the I-K 2000 engine moniter in My RV-4 with the SL40 and SL 70. I'm very happy with it. Marv

What kind of flying and how much money do you have

andrsnj said:
You left out a lot of info about yourself: type of flying and most important, how much CASH do you have to spend. Do you want an autopilot? IFR? Day time aerobatics only?

Experimental aircraft have a selection of lower cost experimental EFIS displays available. The popular experimental units Dynon, GRT and BMA are the choices. If you want certified standards Chelton has some systems under $30,000. VFR I think Dynon has the edge in value (which I have), but the GRT offers a lot for the money, especially if you want a higher end integrated IFR application (able to display glide slope and CDI). GRT now has a "sport model" that has less features but lower cost. I know Greg at GRT from using the EIS, and it is a good company. I don't know enough about BMA to comment, but they do have integrated autopilot systems with their EFIS. As far as avionics I would stick to full size units vs. small 2.25" round units. Again Garmin is a good choice, but for economy I am happy with my Icom A200 comm.

For the record I have a Dynon EFIS-10, GRT EIS4000 (engine monitor), hand held Garmin GPS, one Comm (icom A200), transponder (Collins), intercom (DRE 244e) and that is it. I do also have single axis autopilot, but that is not necessary for basic flight/nav/comm equipment. I would call my panel a deluxe VFR day/night cross-country panel. G

Last edited:
pilot profile

To answer your question about my experience and how much money I have the answer to both is not much. I have about 250 hours in a Cesna 172 that I used to be a part owner in. I have flown very little since selling that quite a while back. I had partner problems the eventually ruined the "club". There was too much partnership selling going on and you lose control when that happens. I don't think I would do another partnership which is why I am building my RV4. It hasn't been a smooth road though, there have been some diversions but I am on track now and hope to complete it before too much more time passes. I am finishing up my canopy now, I used my own design that utilizes 37 clamps that I made along with Sikaflex sealant, there are no holes drilled in my plexiglas. I am a vfr pilot and I'm not interested in bells and whistles, just the stuff I really need with some safety margins. I also don't want anything that is going to break down. I want to install something and be able to depend on it for years down the road. Along that same philosophy I don't want something that some company is going to hold me over a barrel for to keep it running. The less propietary stuff the better.

I am a vfr pilot and I'm not interested in bells and whistles, just the stuff I really need with some safety margins.

If I was building your VFR RV-4, it would have a Dynon along with a few analog engine gages. But if having an EFIS is too many bells and whistles, then you could get by with analog pitot instruments and a turn coordinator.

I also don't want anything that is going to break down. I want to install something and be able to depend on it for years down the road.

Uh oh, guess that eliminates the turn coordinator. :)

Along that same philosophy I don't want something that some company is going to hold me over a barrel for to keep it running. The less propietary stuff the better.

Well, guess that eliminates the EFIS. Looks like its going to be a conventional panel with no electronic stuff. :D

However, if you change your mind and decide to go with solid-state flight instruments, an EFIS from Dynon or Grand Rapids will serve your needs very nicely. Both units are building a solid service history and the companies are first class.

Sam Buchanan (RV-6, 700 hrs; Trio, Dynon, RMI, TruTrak, and Lowrance electronic stuff)

Dynon/RV-4 panel

I've modified my RV-4 panel to take the Dynon EFIS D-10A, and moved my Garmin 296 to the panel below it. It's still a VFR panel, as I planned, but fits great on the RV-4 real estate, with room to spare. The only other flight instrument I have is an analog G-meter, since the Dynon G-meter is small and it allows me to put true airspeed in that spot. I did not buy the backup battery for the EFIS, since I'm flying a VFR operation, besides, you could fly all day on the Garmin panel page as a backup. Now, I've got an attitude indicator and much more than my old VFR round gauges. ...been flying it for four months and the Dynon works great. Dave Dollarhide
newcockpit2hh.jpg

My vote would be for a GRT EIS 4000 - great space saver in a -4, and not that expensive at $1000. If you're really trying to save money I would stick with round gauges, ASI, Alt, compass, etc, and a T&B. A good GPS is always useful - used Garmin 196 are available for $600 right now. If I had some spare cash I would get a Trutrak Pictorial Pilot T&B with roll channel autopilot. After that I would get a Dynon or similar. If you decide to get a Blue Mountain EFIS, do bum a ride with someome who has one before you order.

Pete

Back