What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plexiglass repair

dekky111

Well Known Member
Am having issues with a few stress cracks in the plexiglass on my 7A tip-up around a couple screws. Great article in Sport Aviation last mo. by Scott Bixler, who used PlastiFix for some amazingly rotten plexi. Anyone out there used PlastiFix for stress cracks in plexiglass??

Yes, Scott Bixler did. In that same artical he mentioned stress cracks developing as he worked on the turret.

Plastifix

I've had a crack in my canopy for four years, that I've had to stop drill twice. After reading Scott's article, I dropped him an email and he provided with some great advice. I'd accumulated several discussions strings on canopy repair over the years, none of which looked viable to me. After talking to Scott, who is in product development at the company who sells PlastiFix, I bought his product.

Scott sent me some pix of the B-25 turret canopy repair, to show me that they were not really clear, but the best you can do in a bad situation. I used their clear product in making a repair on my RV-4, but tiny bubbles form in the chemical and still prevent it from being clear. However, it seems to have made a strong repair, which I hope will stop any further problems.

I used a Dremel tool to cut a V-groove along the crack, which is the recommended method. I wasn't certain from their directions but cut it all the way through, with just a small opening along the crack on the outside. This allowed the chemical to fill in the opening down to the tape I placed on the outside along the crack, to prevent dripping. Fortunately, the crack was on the right side of my tip over canopy, allowing gravity to work for me, as I filled from the inside. A repair on a vertical surface would be more difficult.

PlastiFix comes in two bottles. One is a powder and the other a clear liquid. I poured a thin layer of powder in the groove, followed by a layer of the clear catalyst. I used a needle applicator to control the application. PlastiFix sets up in less than a minute as I used it and I applied about 5 coats to fill slightly above the surface. Several sandingings, using progressively finer grit, smoothed the finish. A final rubbing with auto rubbing compound polished it out and it was done.

The repair is opaque, but if it stops the problem, I'm happy with the repair and see it as a battle scar on my faithful "flyer."

The PlastiFix kit cost around $30 and I've got plenty for other plastic repairs.

I'm going to give Plastifix a try. Does anyone have some scrap plexi they can send me to test the Plastifix with? If so, drop me a note.

I was going to buy some at the hardware store but I wanted to make sure I had the correct plexi.

Thanks!

Bill...I have a bunch of canopy scraps...

...in my hangar at Siler City (5W8). I also have a cracked front canopy (tip up) at the hangar I sometimes use as a monster face / body shield that can be "experimented" with.

Back