What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snorkle for 390EXP119 Fitment

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I started fitting the fiberglass intake snorkel and find that when connected to the front of the servo the rectangular upper portion that meets the baffle is about 3/4" too far to port.

I don't see any way to get the snorkel to move to starboard this amount without cutting a 3/4" section out of the center and epoxying it back together.

Is this what others have done to get this to fit? Seems drastic, but.....

I wasted tons of time trying to fit the snorkel on my RV7 IO 360 M1B. I did end up cutting it in half. Attached one end to the engine, the other end to the baffle and fiberglass the middle back together. It has 600 hrs and is doing fine.

I started fitting the fiberglass intake snorkel and find that when connected to the front of the servo the rectangular upper portion that meets the baffle is about 3/4" too far to port.

I don't see any way to get the snorkel to move to starboard this amount without cutting a 3/4" section out of the center and epoxying it back together.

How much clearance is there between the snorkel and starter when you have it in position? It shouldn't be very much.
The snorkel is not supplied trimmed to final length at the top. It needs to be properly positioned and then marked for final trimming (covered in the build manual I think). When rotating so the inlet portion moves upward, it will also move inboard.

I wasted tons of time trying to fit the snorkel on my RV7 IO 360 M1B. I did end up cutting it in half. Attached one end to the engine, the other end to the baffle and fiberglass the middle back together. It has 600 hrs and is doing fine.

I wouldn't recommend that for the 390EXP119.
The snorkel was specifically engineered to fit the 119 on RV-14 baffling.

Frankensnorkel

I would think the 14 Snorkel would fit perfect. :D

I did as Wiley on my 7A, IO-360-M1B. Cut in half. Fit either end then glassed the split. Fits perfect. Clears the starter no problem.
Before modification, the filter rectangular section was at least 1/2" to Port.

Last edited:

I needed to cut mine in 1/2 on a non-ex 390 RV-14. I did not have clearance around the starter and the top really did not line up well to the filter area. Worked out well cutting the top of the snorkel off and mounting to the filter area and the fuel servo and then glassing the 2 halves together.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4321.jpg
    IMG_4321.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 205
snorkle cut

Larry,

We have the same set up and I just started on the snorkle. Where did you cut it in half, horizontally at the top end or vertically in the middle? Did you have to cut a section out?

Thanks,

John

Here's what I finally did

So, I couldn't figure out any other way, so I cut my snorkle in half at about the midpoint, mounted it to the filter baffle and servo and glued it back together. Worked out fine. This is on my -14A with 119EXP motor.

Bodywork completed and primed:

Snorkel Primed.jpg

Painted:

Snorkel Painted.jpg

And, mounted:

Snorkel Mounted Front.jpg

Back