What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Colorado RV Pilots

Hello, first post here. I have been lurking and researching RVs for a while now and am getting pretty serious about the RV 7 or 9. I would love the opportunity to talk to, sit in and ideally fly with owners of both models to help me decide which one to focus on. Particularly ones in the high density altitude in Colorado.

A little about me and my mission.

I live on a 4500' dirt/ pasture grass strip at 6500' elevation (Pine View) in Elizabeth, CO between Denver and Colorado Springs. I currently fly my Cherokee six, Cessna 150/150 and my Dads Cessna 182 out of there. All now have larger tires to make the runway a little smoother. I could improve the surface and have flown many stock aircraft in and out with care without a problem. Tall Trees and rising terrain on Both ends shortens the available runway for takeoff and landing. I fly the six and 182 over the mountains regularly around 14,500'.

I have worked on pretty major Certificated aircraft rebuilds and maintenance most of my life but have had little exposure to Experimental Aircraft. I am a little torn on the idea of building an experimental from a practical standpoint. It seems as though fixing up certificated aircraft requires a lot less time and possibly a greater financial benefit. However, the RV does speak to me.

Looking at the numbers it is difficult if not impossible to find a certificated aircraft that has the performance, simplicity, and economy of an RV. The family is growing up and the reality is a two seat airplane will probably suit my needs in the coming years.

I am really attracted by the published speed, economy, takeoff and altitude performance of both models. No exposure to acrobatics and no real pull that direction but I keep hearing about the RV Grin and handling of the line. I have flown aircraft big and small, fast and slow but always Utility type of aircraft and I cant help but wonder if this RV thing is something for me.

If there are any RV 7-9 or other owners on the front range or in Colorado. I would really love the opportunity to see, feel and hear about your airplanes and your opinions
My questions are:

1.Real performance at this altitude at gross weight. If your from Colorado you know why I'm asking. Generally up here a 4 place airplane is really a 2 place and still not a performer at that.

2.What model and engine choice to make. The Vans numbers all look great but are a bit vague. I haven't been able to find performance charts and its unclear if the ceilings listed are service or absolute. The RV 9 says great climb at altitude and better glide but its hard to quantify those statements. They both appear to climb great and up pretty high. From what I can find it looks like the 7 glides about like my Cherokee six and the 9 lands and glides like a Cessna wing?

3.Is this a good aircraft for my strip and of course tricycle or conventional gear? Another tough one to research. From reading opinions vary and contradict. It would be great if someone was local with experience to take a look at my strip and say no problem or no way.

Thank you very much for your time in reading this and if you or someone you know can help I would really appreciate it. This is a great site and you all have built a wonderful community here. Every RV I have seen on the ramp looks beautifully constructed and I wish I had looked harder and taken the time to ask more questions when I have had the opportunity.

Ash

There are a bunch of RV's on the front range and Colorado Springs area. There is a CO builders group you can check with wirejock about becoming involved.
Best of luck. I loved Colorado when we lived there.

Can't go wrong with either

1. Performance not an issue. I'm at 5700 feet like you and weight to thrust ratio of these RV's makes it a non issue.
Go with a 7 if you want the occasional roll or mild aerobatics, great x country, a 9 if you want the efficient Roncz airfoil at altitude and the lower cub type stall speed with almost no cruise speed tradeoff, and want to utilize IFR w/autopilot.

2. 180-160 HP

3. 4500 ft dirt? Shouldn't be an issue, especially now that Vans has beefed up their nosewheel aircraft. Tailwheel if you're a real man (uh oh here we go... smile)

Last edited:
Flying Colorado in an RV....

Hello, first post here. I have been lurking and researching RVs for a while now and am getting pretty serious about the RV 7 or 9. I would love the opportunity to talk to, sit in and ideally fly with owners of both models to help me decide which one to focus on. Particularly ones in the high density altitude in Colorado.

If you fly down (or drive; it's a short trip either way) to Kelly Airpark just South of Pine View I believe there is at least one RV-8 there....and a good group of pilots. They can probably give you some ideas about what to consider. ALL the RV's are good high-altitude airplanes.

Colorado RVs

There are a bunch of RV's on the front range and Colorado Springs area. There is a CO builders group you can check with wirejock about becoming involved.
Best of luck. I loved Colorado when we lived there.

Yep. We are about 35 members. It's not a public group. If you want to join, shoot me an e-mail with the following.
First, last name
Cell #
City
RV model of interest

Thank you all for your reply and insight.

If you fly down (or drive; it's a short trip either way) to Kelly Airpark just South of Pine View I believe there is at least one RV-8 there....and a good group of pilots. They can probably give you some ideas about what to consider. ALL the RV's are good high-altitude airplanes.

Long ago I actually lived at Kelly airpark! I never really fit in there unfortunately but lots of great people. Its a tight knit community but they used to have a fly in pancake breakfast once a year. I don't see it advertised on there website anymore so it must be by invite only.
I like the quote on your signature roadjunkie! I have read all of Glens books and he inspired me to get a BMW 650gs that I had many adventures on!

1. Performance not an issue. I'm at 5700 feet like you and weight to thrust ratio of these RV's makes it a non issue.
Go with a 7 if you want the occasional roll or mild aerobatics, great x country, a 9 if you want the efficient Roncz airfoil at altitude and the lower cub type stall speed with almost no cruise speed tradeoff, and want to utilize IFR w/autopilot.

2. 180-160 HP

3. 4500 ft dirt? Shouldn't be an issue, especially now that Vans has beefed up their nosewheel aircraft. Tailwheel if you're a real man (uh oh here we go... smile)

I am leaning towards the 9 if the takeoff performance is equal up here with the lower hp. Traveling is the mission and some lite IFR would be on the radar.
I was thinking of the conventional gear due after reading about the nosewheel accidents. But I have been informed about the nose gear improvement. That might be the way to go as I don't have a x-wind runway. But the tailwheel looks cool and a lot of fun! I have an endorsement but never really felt comfortable. All my tail wheel time is in a Helio courier and a Maule Rocket and I hear the RV is much friendlier than both of those!

Thank you Rockwoodrv9 and Wirejock. I am set up on the Colorado builders group. Ill try on there to see if I can find any local RVers. I would really like to even sit in one with my wife to assess. I showed my wife a few rv6 at the airport and she thought they looked small. From the specs the 7 and 9 are wider than the old C182 we fly so I think we should fit just fine (both are average size people). But I would rather find out before I order a kit.

Ash

Back