What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12iS Heat Muff Coming Loose

Bob Y

Well Known Member
After receiving a link to Rob Carsey‘s YouTube video on this subject from a fellow iS builder, I thought I’d reach out to the VAF community to see how many others are experiencing this issue…

I think I’ve found my Heat muff loose every time I’ve done an oil change, but to a lesser degree after safety wiring the heat muff hose clamp screws the first time it occurred. My friend has had the same issue with around 50 hours on his iS. Rob makes three of us, so wondering how many more are out there?

I sent the attached photo to Van’s Support when I found it as shown in the photo during my 200-hr CI. They seemed surprised it was still working loose with the hose clamp screw safety wired. They had no issue with me adding two more FF-00090L threaded rods, 90 degrees from the original, to help hold the heat muff end rings in place. I intended to install them at my next oil change.

So, again, how many other silent majorities are there out there with this issue?

Attachments

• DE53DEB9-9669-4717-BD7F-91E286AF76DF.jpg
    DE53DEB9-9669-4717-BD7F-91E286AF76DF.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 275
  • DFCAA790-86D2-4AC0-A566-E8578B5CC4E8.jpg
    DFCAA790-86D2-4AC0-A566-E8578B5CC4E8.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 223
I asked that same question when I saw all the worm hose clamps used on the 12iS fuel pump filter rack. Someone from Vans said not to worry, worm clamps don’t back off on the own. I would safety wire every worm clamp just on principle…..
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 2.54.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 2.54.57 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 219
Same issue here. Safety wire seems to have fixed mine. Will be glad when Van's comes out with a better solution. Sounds like it might be in the works.

Thanks for the tips! My muffler is still waiting to be installed, but am ordering the rods and hardware. Also thanks for tip on safety wiring the worm clamps. Trying to figure out How you do that?

I had to re-do the muffler shroud after my first oil change - 25hrs. I thought we had it on right, nothing seems to have come loose. My guess is the expansion from the exhaust and then the different materials (stainless steel and Al) makes it hard to get this set just right.

Interested if Vans has an update in the works.

Robert

After receiving a link to Rob Carsey‘s YouTube video on this subject from a fellow iS builder, I thought I’d reach out to the VAF community to see how many others are experiencing this issue…

I, too, discovered this when doing my first annual inspection. I just loosened up the clamps, re-positioned correctly, then tightened up clamps. That was in April and I will be performing an oil change in a few more flight hours (probably two weeks from now) and will recheck.

Jayson

Back