What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can an RV8 fly with the canopy removed?

Last week, 13*C, no wind, blue skies !!!
I had to burn some 100LL... and test the newly installed wheel pants...
During run-up, the canopy was only half closed.
1800 RPM makes a lot of wind while not moving. I closed the canopy as it was pretty annoying.
Outside of any unknown and unwanted structural/aerodynamic/flight caracteristic problems, I don't get why someone would want fly without a canopy in a RV8 ??? Just because ???...

Last edited:
Last week, 13*C, no wind, blue skies !!!
I had to burn some 100LL... and test the newly installed wheel pants...
During run-up, the canopy was only half closed.
1800 RPM makes a lot of wind while not moving. I closed the canopy as it was pretty annoying.
Outside of any unknown and unwanted structural/aerodynamic/flight caracteristic problems, I don't get why someone would want fly without a canopy ??? Just because ???...

Perhaps he’s got a skydiver who wants to jump? If that’s the case, let me know and I want to be next to jump it! It would be cool to hang inverted from the roll bar!

Removed or open?

I have seen a photo on the forums of a guy who flew his -8 with no canopy installed - just the front windscreen. If I recall correctly he reported no ill flight characteristics, but it was "D*** breezy!"

I'm sure it can be done without the canopy and flight characteristics will most likely change. But the airplane has enough power to fly even with the disrupted airflow. I would never advocate it and I certainly have not done this myself or in any model but the question is being asked... I remember many a couple of years ago many people were discussing the possibility of flying a -7 without the canopy and some were saying that it could or would disrupt the airflow to the tail but low and behold someone posted a video of 2 guys flying a -7 without a canopy and one of them jumping out (with a chute of cours). Was it smart? I Would not have done it, but I don't judge people. Did they do it? Yup.:rolleyes:

It seems to have been done in a 3:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=114678

and I think I read somewhere about an 8 where the builder extended the tail section up to behind his head for a one seat open cockpit RV-8 (was removable extension so it would be a one seat open cockpit RV-8 or a 2 seat closed cockpit RV-8. I can't find the reference right now so maybe I was just dreaming it... .

Oliver

Flight without canopy

An RV-3 in Hawaii was configured open cockpit.

Regarding jumping out , "intentional parachute jumps" are prohibited by the more modern Operating Limitations. If you had a problem, you'd have troubles with the FAA and your insurance company.

An RV-3 in Hawaii was configured open cockpit.

Regarding jumping out , "intentional parachute jumps" are prohibited by the more modern Operating Limitations.
I can see this being discouraged in a single-seat aircraft. :eek:

Friend made this replacement frame covering the back seat.
Keep head down! Get above the windscreen and the slipstream is significant. Tuft testing here.
Reported no real changes in speeds or behaviors, but did keep it under 130.

Attachments

• open cockpit.jpg
    open cockpit.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 180
I was just curious. My crazy pastor is a skydiver and asked if it

Could be done. I never even entertained the idea, but it did make me wonder if flying without it was possible. No real reason, just curious.

Friend made this replacement frame covering the back seat.
Keep head down! Get above the windscreen and the slipstream is significant. Tuft testing here.
Reported no real changes in speeds or behaviors, but did keep it under 130.

That's got to be the crazy canadian crop duster, recognize the blue helmet :)

Back