What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing Brakes

Manchu16

Partner on an RV-9 and we replacing the brake pads for the first time. These are Cleveland brakes (30-9).

I have searched the site and have read through the Parker maintenance manual, but I am stuck.

I removed the two bolts that hold the back plate on. The outer pad and back plate come out easily. Is there a trick to get the pressure plate and pad off?

I can not slide the anchor bolts (Pins) out of the torque plate. The rigid brake line is routed similar to the Vans plans and the caliper hits the line and would require a bend right where it exits the gear leg faring.

Can I remove the nuts on the anchor bolts to get the pressure plate off that way? As an aside, If they are pins, what prevents them from spinning as you tighten or loosen the nut?

Last edited:
Pic from the plans

Figure I would add a picture from the plans as to what I am talking about. Even if I remove the hard line from the caliper, I am still going to hit the tube coming off the gear leg.

Attachments

• B5282C35-8206-4C29-A80D-392E8100B4DD.jpeg
    B5282C35-8206-4C29-A80D-392E8100B4DD.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 83
I just changed my pads Friday ... my brakes are Matco but maybe Cleaveland is similar....

After removing the bolts to liberate the outer caliper, I next removed the inner slide bearings which allow the brakes to float and adjust themselves over time. The Matco's have two hex head bolts/nuts that secure holding the inner bearing sleeve to the brake body with the plunger (see red arrows in the photo)

Removing these hex bolts and sleeves will allow the push-plate with the pad (marked R in the photo) to drop out without disturbing the main brake body connected to the hydraulic line. I used a piece of scrap wood and a c-clamp to gently push the plunger back in and held it there until I was ready to reassemble; no point in encouraging a oily mess if the plunger comes out

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 98
Calipers

Brake line is more flexible than you think. Gently move it out of the way of the caliper. That’s one of the benefits of the big service loop in the line.

Back