What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 curved stick in an RV-8

ccoady454

Does anyone know if the control stick for an RV-14 can be used in an RV-8? I'd much rather have a nicely pre-bent stick than buying a RV-8 stick and pay someone to have it bent. When I fitted the current stick in my RV-8 I shortened to clear under the panel and now it is probably too short to be bent, so I'll be buying a new one anyway. I've seen that Tosten has a rv-14 stick on their site for $50

https://tostenmanufacturing.com/product/rv-14-control-shaft/

I'm just wondering if anyone has retrofitted the 14 stick into the 8 or if anyone knows IF the RV-14 mounting points match up with the RV-8 mounting points.

My dad isn't as tall as me and would like the stick back further and up higher like the 14.

Thanks!!

I’m surprised no one has chimed in.
I was about to ask the same question in the Rocket forum.
The stick is perfect in the -4 but is awkwardly forward for me in the HRII.
For $50 I’ll roll the ergonomic dice but I’d first like to know if the base weldment and bushing is compatible.

The RV8 forward stick is identical to the RV4 front stick, and I’ve used the RV14 stick on my RV4. I cut off the upper part of the RV4 (same as RV8) stick and inserted the RV14 stick into the the lower cut off portion. It doesn’t fit snugly, so I made a shim out of 4130 chromoly. I used a permatex product that is meant to be used in a situation like this - without the need to use any solid fastener, but I didn’t trust it completely, so I also drilled holes for two #10 bolts. On both of my RV8’s I’ve made an offset stick using the cut and weld technique, and that worked, but wasn’t as elegant or quite as good ergonomically in my opinion as using the RV14 curved stick.

5F36BF98-1D80-4A91-BCF7-D2D80BD311FF.jpg

CAE594A9-5944-4073-890B-A8DA18A6D790.jpg

FDAA7CCA-576D-46C1-8ADD-1344C523D82D.jpg

You can order the RV14 stick from Vans, or from Tosten Manufacturing, and maybe others. Make sure you order it with no holes drilled in it.

That aluminum ‘pointer’ is the manual roll trim lever. Shortly after that picture was taken, I bent the pointer to lay parallel to the stick. Looks nicer, but works the same.
I think the stick offset is about 3”. I moved the front seatback aft 2.75”, and this setup with the bent stick was perfect for me - very comfortable.

The RV8 forward stick is identical to the RV4 front stick, and I’ve used the RV14 stick on my RV4. I cut off the upper part of the RV4 (same as RV8) stick and inserted the RV14 stick into the the lower cut off portion. It doesn’t fit snugly, so I made a shim out of 4130 chromoly. I used a permatex product that is meant to be used in a situation like this - without the need to use any solid fastener, but I didn’t trust it completely, so I also drilled holes for two #10 bolts. On both of my RV8’s I’ve made an offset stick using the cut and weld technique, and that worked, but wasn’t as elegant or quite as good ergonomically in my opinion as using the RV14 curved stick.

View attachment 25405

View attachment 25406

View attachment 25407

You can order the RV14 stick from Vans, or from Tosten Manufacturing, and maybe others. Make sure you order it with no holes drilled in it.

Thanks for posting this. I was going to do something similar. But, was going to use a threaded taper pin instead of the 2 bolts.

When I brought this up on the FB group, it was thoroughly panned. You’re post is encouraging!

I can’t find the RV-14 stick in the Vans web store; can someone post a part number please?

I would love to use them!

Bruce,
I could really use them. I can pick them up. Just sent you a direct email.
Thanks!
Steve ASHBY

Bent stick for RV8

I have a Vice mounted tube bender that works great and have modified many 7, 8 & 9 sticks for pilots to accommodate the Tosten and infinity Grips along with pilots size ( if you get my drift 😄).

An update;

So I finally got around to ordering and installing the RV-14 bent stick in my -8. The verdict? It doesn’t work. With the stick grip I’m using, the stick bend is too low and bumps into the seat cushion and the aluminum seat base, limiting up elevator travel.

Next step? I’ll be off to a metal shop to have a new stick cut and welded so it’ll clear both the seat and the panel.

I used Mike Cingari for the front seat on my 8. i need to cut the stick down because of the grip i am using. a little spendy at 260 for the front and 130 for the back.
The bend is pretty nice.
i am buying the back one today.
his email is [email protected]

my cell is 8176835831 if you have any questions.

An update;

So I finally got around to ordering and installing the RV-14 bent stick in my -8. The verdict? It doesn’t work. With the stick grip I’m using, the stick bend is too low and bumps into the seat cushion and the aluminum seat base, limiting up elevator travel.

Next step? I’ll be off to a metal shop to have a new stick cut and welded so it’ll clear both the seat and the panel.

I went the same journey you did, ended up having my local A&P bend a stick for me for a six pack beers on Friday afternoon. Used pvc pipe I heated and bent to shape as a template. I also had to cut some of the foam away in the seat crotch area to allow the curve of the stick to come back. I struggle a little in large cross wind landings keeping the left or right roll input after landing cause the stick is up against my inner thigh crotch area with little room, so I have get my legs spread before landings and have feet on the pedals in the right place.

Will be cutting a curve out of the instrument panel to allow a taller stick without as much curve to go under the panel and not have to come all the way back over the seat cushion when pulling aft.

Here's what I have today and works great, much prefer it to the straight stick.
https://youtu.be/Ceekiwi4r8g?t=164

Back