What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone done the Angel Flight thing?

N5916R

All the flying I have done this year has been to accumulate 25 hours in a Citabria. That has been a lot of fun, but I need to do an IPC at some point. I have been thinking a lot about volunteering for Angel Flight once I have gotten back instrument current. I was wondering what that kind of flying is really like. Is is rewarding? Heartbreaking? How do you deal with the liability part? Any opinions are appreciated.

I thought about it. Until I found out no experimentals allowed - so my RV wasn't an option. :(

I did some in my Bonanza. It was mostly very rewarding. You are the PIC so you always have the option to go or not and all other PIC options.

I thought about it. Until I found out no experimentals allowed - so my RV wasn't an option. :(

Really bummed me out to find his out also. Makes you wonder about Young Eagles flights :confused:

Let's not get into an argument about the FAA waiver for YE flights. It's BS to allow one waiver and not allow another for a very worthwhile and humanitarian cause. Flying ungrateful brats around is okay, but flying people in need to get hospital care is not? BS

JMHO

Last edited:
I have mentioned previously that angelflight southeast allows experimentals to fly angel flights. I think it is up to the individual area. Here is their website
http://www.angelflightsoars.org/
Vic has done many angel flights in his rv-10. Some were disaster relief after hurricane Katrina, but most are transporting patients to hospitals for treatment. He finds it very rewarding. It is a way to give back for all the joy that flying has given.

I flew for Air Life Line for many years in my Bonanza & Baron. Yes it was heart breaking. It was very difficult seeing the pain and suffering that many of them went through but they all had a fantastic attitude and were so appreciative of your help. I always came away feeling that I recieved more from the flight than they did. I would often take one of my small children with me and they still talk about those flights. I don't belive there is any more liability than carrying any passenger, maybe less since they must sign a release. Ride along with someone to get the feel of it if you like. Just do it!

Yes, very rewarding and very good for someone trying to build time for a professional job. It's tax deductible.

Last time I flew, which was a number of years, the South Central region only allowed (experimental) flight of materials. Obviously, that varies by region. But who says you/we/experimental airplane owners can't set up their own org and fly people? Or lobby the director of the regional org to change their mind? There's no voodoo magic here. Just networking and establishing proper IRS status.

Last edited:
Larry;

I take exception to your ungrateful brat Young Eagle comment. I have flown close to 150 Young Eagles and not one of them was ungrateful! If we don't get on the band wagon with Young Eagles and Eagle flights your RV is going to be an expensive flower planter in a few years because there will be no one left to fly it.

On your other point, I totally agree the experimentals should be allowed for Angel Flight.

John Morgan

Yes AF missions are rewarding. I was the first to get approval for experimentals for the SE office. Only took a little educating. Missions vary of course. I have taken burn patients for treatment, infants, and other missions to include taking a homeless veteran to his sons funeral who died in a car crash. Some as mentioned are disaster relief mission support. There are many opportunities in AF to give.

Living just south of Savannah, GA, this is wonderful news. What a great way to turn my passion into something for the greater good - I'm gonna burn the 100LL regardless. Similar to my job for the greater portion of my military career as a DUSTOFF pilot... combining two great things - aviaition and helping people. Doesn't get much better!

I am an active Angel Flight pilot

I do fly several Angel Flights a year. Sometimes I'm just "in the mood" to do something good, sometimes I'm taking a trip empty somewhere and it doesn't cost me anything to take someone with me. Every Angel Flight I do is tax deductible, too.

I'm in California and Angel Flight West does not allow experimentals. There are other region around the country that do allow experimentals and even LSAs. Check with your local wing.

I have done several Angel Flights on IFR flight plans, in IMC. Again, this might vary by what region you are in, but our wing does not require an IFR rating, only 250 hours total time and liability insurance. An IFR rating is very helpful since many flights have to be cancelled at the last minute if you don't have it. Of course, I've cancelled a couple of IFR flights because I just didn't like the weather.

It's a very worthwhile organization and I love supporting it. Check with your local group and see what their requirements are. It's very rewarding.

I do fly several Angel Flights a year. Sometimes I'm just "in the mood" to do something good, sometimes I'm taking a trip empty somewhere and it doesn't cost me anything to take someone with me. Every Angel Flight I do is tax deductible, too.

I'm in California and Angel Flight West does not allow experimentals. There are other region around the country that do allow experimentals and even LSAs. Check with your local wing.

I have done several Angel Flights on IFR flight plans, in IMC. Again, this might vary by what region you are in, but our wing does not require an IFR rating, only 250 hours total time and liability insurance. An IFR rating is very helpful since many flights have to be cancelled at the last minute if you don't have it. Of course, I've cancelled a couple of IFR flights because I just didn't like the weather.

It's a very worthwhile organization and I love supporting it. Check with your local group and see what their requirements are. It's very rewarding.

Thanks for the education.
I've been either mis-informed or I misunderstood the IFR thing. Most likely the latter of the two.

Thanks for the education.
I've been either mis-informed or I misunderstood the IFR thing. Most likely the latter of the two.

From their webpage FAQ:

Q. What are the pilot requirements?

A. An instrument rating is necessary to fly P.I.C. on ALL Angel Flight missions. The minimum number of hours for pilot participation is 250 logged time. It is also required that you attend a pilot orientation session within sixty days of application. Pilot documentation such as license, medical, insurance and current bi-annual reviews will also be needed.

From their webpage FAQ:

Q. What are the pilot requirements?

A. An instrument rating is necessary to fly P.I.C. on ALL Angel Flight missions. The minimum number of hours for pilot participation is 250 logged time. It is also required that you attend a pilot orientation session within sixty days of application. Pilot documentation such as license, medical, insurance and current bi-annual reviews will also be needed.

It appears that Angel Flight West and Angel Flight Southeast are the only regions that do not require an instrument rating, and allow participation with as little as 250 hours total time. The other regions require an instrument rating and 500 hours total time.

Yes it's good to do

I did some angel flights back when I had a Cherokee and enjoyed it vey much. I was worried about a lot of things but their operations staff really made it easy. I liked being cleared straight in to busy airports too.

It was a rewarding personal experience.

I flew for Angel Flight Central, for several years, and considered those adventures to be the most rewarding flying I have ever done. Met some very wonderful people. Good luck.

Thanks to all who replied. After I get an IPC I am going to look into doing some of this flying. It has always seemed like a good way to give back and keep the skills current at the same time.

Back