What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don Oberlander Impresses the Army

Mark12A

Don flew his RV-8 into Madison County Executive today for a short visit. Beautiful airplane! However, as he was leaving, there was a large group of Army aviators and contract instructors who got pretty excited about the airplane. Here...a bunch of rotary wing pilots, working on the most advanced scout helicopter in the Army inventory, standing around watching the white and red RV-8 launch to the east from KMDQ runway 18. A great visit, and a bunch more RV-8 enthusiasts.

+1 I enjoyed my 1 RV-8 test flight more than most of my OH-58D flights. Just wish we could strap guns and rockets to the RV. Still though, I'd take an hour in an RV over an hour in any Army aircraft any day.

RV over just about anything

One day many years ago, I was flying an OH-58 in Bosnia down some railroad tracks on a MTF. Yes... the weapons were nice along with the worlds most expensive VCR mounted on top of the rotor head, but at the speed we were going... well... it felt like we were a big target. I'll take my Blackhawk anyday but If I gotta go somewhere... The RV-3 is THE way to go! Don's a pretty cool guy... He was in the Marines a long time ago and flew -53's.
Best
Brian

Back