What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Insurance

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
The 10 has completed its inspection and will soon make its first flight. I just wanted to check and see what experience others have had finding the most reasoanble insurance.

Pat

I did a lot of searching/learning/research, ended up with Sky Smith.

Use the search function, lots of info on insurance.

Congrats on getting to that point in the project :D

Just got mine. For reference, I'm paying $4572 for the first year (Chartis via NationAir), $200k hull value. I'm private w/ instrument and 200 hrs.

Come to think of it, that $200k is probably a little high.

-Rob

Last edited:
My buddy, Ray Lawrence insures mine....

$2,700/year for $170K. I do have 15,000+ hours and Commercial, CFI, instrument.

478 2329560.

Best,

$2950 per year $200K hull 18K TT ATP CFII with Chartis through Marc Lepage at Northstar Aviation Insurance. Great guy to work with.

Nationair

I am paying $2917 for $150k hull, $1 million liability, and no deductible as a 4,000 hour ATP rated pilot from Global Aerospace purchased through Nationair.

insurance

I am paying $2570, 200k hull with 7k hours, with atp and about 800 single engine 200 of which are in the 10.

Glad to help if I can, I quote RV10s all day long, well at least I did a few of them this week.

Best I found on a 10 with $150k hull was $2213.
They ranged from $2213 to a bit over $3200.

If you need the Fly-off period covered you have to make sure that is included.
Chartis just made a change to their experimental program and now there is no change in deductible or liability limits during the fly-off. Thats a nice change.

Tj
www.airpowerinsurance.com

Skysmith

I use Skysmith and have enjoyed their service.
Ask for high deductible options. Sometimes they have options that lower the premium.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback and will start making contact with those recomended. I expect to fly next weekend so I need to get this done next week.

Pat

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect to fly next weekend so I need to get this done next week.

Pat

That is great news, fantastic!!

One thing that has not been mentioned yet-------airplane insurance is not like car insurance where there are a lot of different companies actually underwriting the various policies that the many brokers sell.

Once a broker puts your plane N number out there, it may lock out other brokers, if they go to the same underwriter.

Jeff Rhodes, who is a member here was very good at explaining the process, you might search for posts by him, he uses JDRhodes as a log in name. He is in the aviation insurance industry.

Once a broker puts your plane N number out there, it may lock out other brokers, if they go to the same underwriter.

Years ago that was the rule.
Anymore the companies are totally computerized and all of us brokers can obtain multiple quotes on the same airplane over and over.

In the past it was just a capacity issue.
How many faxes can one man or woman sitting at a desk process.

Now the bulk are automated on "normal" airplanes and they don't "Block" markets anymore.

For real specialty stuff, or with new pilots this is still a factor.
For a well qualified pilot in any Rv? Quote away.

But the truth is its still a small industry.
Pick a broker you can live with and reach by phone on a Sunday morning.

I am an aviation insurance broker / pilot / airplane owner for sake of disclosure.

Tj

TJ, no arguing from me, just a statement of facts, but I had 3 agents (brokers?) in the last 6 months tell me that the first contact for an "N" number will lock out other agents.

TJ, no arguing from me, just a statement of facts, but I had 3 agents (brokers?) in the last 6 months tell me that the first contact for an "N" number will lock out other agents.

For sure some companies still do. SAU does, USSIC does, LAU and some others.

I think that will change in the next year or two because all the others have online automated clearance and quoting systems.

We can always run a test... :)

TJ

Back