What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Purchased RV-10 Kit

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
Thanks to Scott Schmidt's ride in his beautifully finished RV, and after 6 months of deliberation I have finally taken the plunge and ordered an RV-10 QB from Vans. I did find a completed tail section that will be here next week. I am trying to sort out a lot of things that I need to get in order before I begin construction. Vans quoted me an October shipment, so the focus has been finishing/insulating/drywalling my 3 car garage, installing HVAC, and building benches. Then relocating all of my tools from my hanger to my garage etc etc.

The good news is that I have a plane to fly that I have owned for 18 years and don't need to rush. The better news is I retired last month, so I have plenty of time to devote to getting the project under way.

I am looking for resources to purchase kit builders insurance, and would appreciated any recommendations and experience with pricing etc.

I am sure over the next several years there will be a lot of questions and help requested.

Bill Peyton

RE:Insurance Info

Give the folks at Skysmith a call for a data point on builders insurance...

http://www.skysmith.com/

Scott's RV10 was a great ride for me also!!!:DBut alas the 7 was just about done $$$$$$$$$$$ .:eek:

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A ... Flying and Tracken (MT-RTG)

I have had very good luck with Jenny at NationAir. I carried 100k of builder risk when the pile of parts was getting pretty expensive. It was $600 for the year and that also included movement to the airport. Considering it covered almost all of the parts in the garage I figured it was fair enough cost. I also had my alarm company install a wireless door switch on the overhead door.

Don't count on your homeowners to protect your plane, and yea I remember the argument on when it becomes a plane but policies in the last few years have been revised to exclude not just aircraft but they have lumped in aircraft "parts" as well, which I think the kit is pretty close to that.

Nationair

Add me to the list of supporter of Jenny at Nationair. Excellent customer service, and competitive rates. She worked with me throughout the years as I would change the coverage when additional kits were purchased, or the engine and avionics were added to the pile of parts.

Eric Kallio
Trying to turn the pile of parts into one big one... however I am being outwitted, outsmarted, and frankly outmanned by the freakin doors!!!

Thanks for all who have sent the info. I will start the calls on Monday. The Guy that does my currect AC insurance quoted me $500 for 50K plus some amount of liability. It sounded high for 50K of stuff.

Hi Bill

Hi Bill, it is great that you and your wife took the plunge. It sure is a fun adventure.
I have used Scott Skysmith for all my insurance and have been very happy with them. I am not sure about builders insurance though.

Always feel free to call or e-mail if you have any questions.

Scott,
Thanks for the ride, it was great hooking up with you. Maybe next time I see you I will have a completed -10! I decided to go ahead and order the remaining kit packages rather than wait. Vans had a QB set of wings coming in that had built for inventory, so I took them and ordered the finishing kit. This should save some shipping and give me an incentive to get it done.
Bill

Back