What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10A link to Garmin 296?

Hello All,
I am in the process of trying to wire my D10A to my 296. While I am an A&P, I don't get into much avionics work.
So, here is the question,
On the Garmin data cable, there are 2 ports out(blue&violet wires) and 2 ports in(yellow&green wires). I am assuming that I pick an output for terminal 22 on the Dynon. Does it matter which one?

Another thing I noticed, is that it has a "voice out" + and - set of wires.
I do have the AOA pitot tube, and would also like to have the GPS voice through my intercom(which is a new sigtronics S200). Any advice on that connection?
These are probably silly, and easy questions for many of you.............but I'm not sure. I DO know that when you "let the smoke out", electronics just don't function the same! :eek:. I'd rather NOT do that to my panel!

Thank you for the replies, and advice!!
Jason Edwards
RV-4 "Dream Chaser"
Richland Center, WI.
Installing new S200 intercom, OAT probe, linking 296 to D10A.:confused:

Both

Both (either) the blue or the purple will work there is an output setting in the 296 menus that will need to be setup properly also. I don't have it in front of me but someone will tell you.

Last edited:
You only need the blue wire - and it can be split to provide a GPS signal to other units.

Special note: You MUST also ground the x96 black wire to your common ground or the signal will not work (e.g. if operating off battery power and not grounded to the aircraft, one wire is not enough for a circuit).

See the Dynon Wiki for settings.

Just an FYI, there is no reason to connect the voice wires to anything when using the 296. The 296 has no voice alerts while in airplane mode and you won't get nuttin out of those wires if you try to use em....to further the case for not using these wires, they are "speaker" level output and might smoke your input on your intercom.....

Last edited:
Just an FYI, there is no reason to connect the voice wires to anything when using the 296. The 296 has no voice alerts while in airplane mode and you won't get nuttin out of those wires if you try to use em....to further the case for not using these wires, they are "speaker" level output and might smoke your input on your intercom.....

Correct, and also true for the 396, 496, and 696. Those units which have audio alerts and/or XM Stereo music useful for us aviators have a 1/8th inch audio jack you must tap into, and usually must also put at least a resistor in line to keep the audio at levels suitable for listening.

I had -- basically -- this same question when Mike Hilger, ace cable maker and all-around smart guy from SteinAir -- pulled up. He said just use the blue cable. "But I'm using that to talk to the TruTrak?" I said.

"Just use a butt splice," he said. I did. It works.

I'm lucky to have smart people on the field.

Hello All,
I am in the process of trying to wire my D10A to my 296. While I am an A&P, I don't get into much avionics work.
So, here is the question,
On the Garmin data cable, there are 2 ports out(blue&violet wires) and 2 ports in(yellow&green wires). I am assuming that I pick an output for terminal 22 on the Dynon. Does it matter which one?

Another thing I noticed, is that it has a "voice out" + and - set of wires.
I do have the AOA pitot tube, and would also like to have the GPS voice through my intercom(which is a new sigtronics S200). Any advice on that connection?
These are probably silly, and easy questions for many of you.............but I'm not sure. I DO know that when you "let the smoke out", electronics just don't function the same! :eek:. I'd rather NOT do that to my panel!

Thank you for the replies, and advice!!
Jason Edwards
RV-4 "Dream Chaser"
Richland Center, WI.
Installing new S200 intercom, OAT probe, linking 296 to D10A.:confused:

As others have said, use the blue wire (only). That will allow a simple upgrade one day to a 396 or 496, which only supports one GPS output.

As for the Sigtronics/Dynon interface, I used an AMX-1A from Vx Aviation (my company) which allows the passive mixing of several audio sources, including a variable input for the Dynon AoA. There are other ways as well, if you want more sophisticated mixing (see the website).

Vern

As others have said, use the blue wire (only). That will allow a simple upgrade one day to a 396 or 496, which only supports one GPS output.

As for the Sigtronics/Dynon interface, I used an AMX-1A from Vx Aviation (my company) which allows the passive mixing of several audio sources, including a variable input for the Dynon AoA. There are other ways as well, if you want more sophisticated mixing (see the website).

Vern

Allow me to prod Vern once again - and special note to all those with a Sport 200S (stereo)...

This device is mono. It would be awesome if Vern came out with a variant handling stereo inputs, and which also "automagically" handled mono-into-stereo for things like audio alerts.

Still a great widget, Vern, making life easier for lots of folks!

:D

Allow me to prod Vern once again - and special note to all those with a Sport 200S (stereo)...

This device is mono. It would be awesome if Vern came out with a variant handling stereo inputs, and which also "automagically" handled mono-into-stereo for things like audio alerts.

Still a great widget, Vern, making life easier for lots of folks!

:D

Actually, the AMX-1A will do that with the Sport 200S. It will mix all of the mono audio inputs for the 200S.

In this application, the headphones are not connected to the AMX-1A, but are instead connected to the J2 jack on the intercom as shown in the Sigtronics installation guide. The intercom then combines the mixed mono signals available from the AMX-1A with the stereo music input on J2.

Automagic!

V

Actually, the AMX-1A will do that with the Sport 200S. It will mix all of the mono audio inputs for the 200S.

In this application, the headphones are not connected to the AMX-1A, but are instead connected to the J2 jack on the intercom as shown in the Sigtronics installation guide. The intercom then combines the mixed mono signals available from the AMX-1A with the stereo music input on J2.

Automagic!

V

That's great news, Vern! Does your widget then accept both Stereo and mono inputs? Do you have some illustrations about how someone might use your device to wire, say,
- A stereo MP2 input
- Stereo input from a 496 with XM Wx and terrain alerts
- Mono input from one or more EFIS / other widgets

all into a 200S? I asked you about this 2 yrs ago, and you told me at that time that this device was mono...

:)

My final solution involved multiple resistors and potentiometers. I've found that the resistors are difficult to wire in without the connections sometimes coming loose...

:(

That's great news, Vern! Does your widget then accept both Stereo and mono inputs? Do you have some illustrations about how someone might use your device to wire, say,
- A stereo MP2 input
- Stereo input from a 496 with XM Wx and terrain alerts
- Mono input from one or more EFIS / other widgets

all into a 200S? I asked you about this 2 yrs ago, and you told me at that time that this device was mono...

:)

My final solution involved multiple resistors and potentiometers. I've found that the resistors are difficult to wire in without the connections sometimes coming loose...

:(

It may sing, but it doesn't dance. To add stereo inputs as well requires a different solution. The mono inputs are easily handled with the AMX-1A passive mixer (or your discrete resistor mixer), but the Stereo inputs are more sophisticated

The stereo inputs can be mixed into the music input on the 200S using a similar technique for each of the left and right stereo channels. Adds up to a bunch of wires.

Others have adapted one of my ASX-2A/2B stereo adapters for this, but you can also build a fairly robust passive mixer by soldering your resistor networks to a D-sub connector as a convenient hardpoint. The only problem with the passive mixer is that it attenuates the audio levels for each input... which could be ok in your application.

Something I've said before... The audio system in an aircraft is the most complex wiring that you will experience. Try the simple way first, and if that doesn't work, we sell the active devices that work like a charm.

Thanks, V

It may sing, but it doesn't dance. To add stereo inputs as well requires a different solution. The mono inputs are easily handled with the AMX-1A passive mixer (or your discrete resistor mixer), but the Stereo inputs are more sophisticated

The stereo inputs can be mixed into the music input on the 200S using a similar technique for each of the left and right stereo channels. Adds up to a bunch of wires.

Others have adapted one of my ASX-2A/2B stereo adapters for this, but you can also build a fairly robust passive mixer by soldering your resistor networks to a D-sub connector as a convenient hardpoint. The only problem with the passive mixer is that it attenuates the audio levels for each input... which could be ok in your application.

Something I've said before... The audio system in an aircraft is the most complex wiring that you will experience. Try the simple way first, and if that doesn't work, we sell the active devices that work like a charm.

Thanks, V

What I ended up with was cumbersome, not hard - as I said, my biggest challenge was that the resistors have hard wires and I had to try different things to get the connections to be resiliant. I don't remember who finally gave me a visual, but I adapted it and got the diagram below (image probably won't work in a few months, pm me if you want the schematic). Green shaded areas - imagine a volume knob mounted in the dash for each.

IntercomAudioInputs.jpg

That should work, although the HS34 alarm will be muted by comms traffic.
Try mounting the resistors on a dsub connector like I suggested if you are having trouble with mechanical integrity.

V

Back