What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Silpruf Windsheild Installation Pics

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I just glued the last of the 4 side windows in using the Silpruf method. I'm now starting to getting the windshield trimmed to fit and am thinking ahead about how to attach it to the fuselage.

My plan is to use Silpruf on the fiberglass joggle, and glass in the front per Van's plans. Where I am struggling a bit is on the transition. How did you transition from Silpruf to fiberglass? I'd love to see any pics you might have of this transition and what the finish product looks like.

Thanks,
Jason

Windshield Install with Silpruf and FG

We finished the windshield using this process just a few weeks ago. I looked for pics, but did not have any that would be helpful. When you finish the top and sides with silpruf, it will become obvious how to glass the front edge transition. We plan to leave the final bead of silpruf across the top until after paint.
Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Don’t worry about the joggle until after the plane is painted. Paint the joggle areas then you can fillet the joggle in with Silpruf after. I flew the 10 for a year before it was painted and the joggles filled. Regarding the windscreen. I did this the same way, but I used an aluminum fairing instead. ML Skunkworks (not around anymore) made a fairing and I finished the shaping. Turned out nice, but not much of an option anymore. The problem with the windscreen is that Vans does not incorporate a bottom flange for it. If I had to do it again I would temporarily set the windscreen and make a form to create and shape a bottom flange that would permanently mount where the bottom of the windscreen would set. Then you could set the windscreen like all the others.

One thing to note is that Silpruf allows for lots of movement to accommodate expansion and contraction so don’t glass over Silpruf, would be ok up to it.

Last edited:
Back