What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Availability of "smooth" limits on insurance

erich weaver

Well Known Member
I am due for renewal on my insurance coverage that is currently through Falcon. The current liability coverage is for $1,000,000 but with a limitation of $100,000/passenger. That isn't much in the event of a significant medical injury, so I inquired about changing to "smooth" coverage, to make that limitation go away. Falcon's response was that after checking with their providers, no one is offering this option.

If anyone has such coverage, can you share with it with me and the contact information?

thanks

erich

Not "smooth" but Old Republic just quoted me for $200k per passenger and $1M total, through Gallagher.

I am due for renewal on my insurance coverage that is currently through Falcon. The current liability coverage is for $1,000,000 but with a limitation of $100,000/passenger. That isn't much in the event of a significant medical injury, so I inquired about changing to "smooth" coverage, to make that limitation go away. Falcon's response was that after checking with their providers, no one is offering this option.

If anyone has such coverage, can you share with it with me and the contact information?

thanks

erich

It may depend on pilot qualifications or other stuff, but for my -10 Jenny and crew at Gallagher got me $1 M CSL ("smooth") last July. It cost $400 more than the usual $1M/$100k per passenger, well worth it IMHO.

Smooth

Had a conversation with Gallagher today about my renewal. Due to the fact that I am based at a private grass strip, only two companies offered coverage. Neither offered a "smooth" policy.

So essentially, availability is determined by which company offers coverage.

Last edited:
Had a conversation with Gallagher today about my renewal. Due to the fact that I am based at a private grass strip, only two companies offered coverage. Neither offered a "smooth" policy.

So essentially, availability is determined by which company offers coverage.

That's always been the case. The grass strip might not be the limiting factor though - I have a private paved strip, and also had only two companies offer coverage.

Follow up report:
After talking with Gallagher, I was not able to get smooth coverage due to the relatively low total time my partner has in Make and Model, but my search still paid off, as I was able to get the per passenger limitation increased from $100k to $200k while decreasing my premium by approximately $200. Total annual premium is now below $1000. WooHoo!

Erich

Follow up report:
After talking with Gallagher, I was not able to get smooth coverage due to the relatively low total time my partner has in Make and Model, but my search still paid off, as I was able to get the per passenger limitation increased from $100k to $200k while decreasing my premium by approximately $200. Total annual premium is now below $1000. WooHoo!

Erich

Glad I could help Erich, let me know if you need anything else!

Follow up report:

Erich

Curious as to what the low time was qualified at?

I used Gallagher and had some issues with the first provider but they found me another that worked out well, I was no time in type and low total time at under 200 hours.

I'm happy with what they did for me.

I believe they wanted 350 hours minimum in make and model. My partner has around 2000 hrs in a -6, but that wouldn't satisfy them with respect to a -7A.

erich

I believe they wanted 350 hours minimum in make and model. My partner has around 2000 hrs in a -6, but that wouldn't satisfy them with respect to a -7A.

erich

I find that very surprising, given the obvious similarity, except the A is arguably less demanding to fly. Usually insurance rates are higher on TW airplanes. I can see if you went from a -6 to a Pitts, but a 6 to a 7A? Really? 2000 hrs is a solid chunk of time.

Back