What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FIRST SPLAT!! (and you know what THAT means...)

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Now why on Earth would my RV-7A project, one that never traveled faster than what Tony Partain's truck could carry it, have a bug splat on its wing leading edge?

A33%2BIMG_2372.JPG

Because RV-7A N260KM flew her maiden flight yesterday! Actually, it was a 2-hop. The first flight was very brief, because I had no airspeed and because my SkyView EMS triggered a high CHT warning for my #3 cylinder. I climbed and turned directly into the downwind and landed using GPS ground speed.

I figured out that I hadn't loaded the correct CHT scales into the SkyView EMS configuration, and that I had crossed my pitot and AOA lines :rolleyes:, I corrected those and launched again. This time, everything was picture perfect. No roll/pitch/yaw problems, no heavy wing, no cautions or warnings...just one really happy and eager airplane.

A1%2BDSC_0090_zpsp6ur8zbp.jpg

Prebriefing the flight. Blake and Monica Graham (left) flew chase in their RV-7. Tony Malley (my brother-in-law, to my right) ran the ground crew. I wore my USAF Nomex because it was, after all, an EAB first flight.

A6%2BIMG_0261.JPG

My son Houston helping me get strapped in.

A8%2BIMG_0494.JPG

Ready for engine start.

A15%2BDSC_0111_zpscneww1nl.jpg

Run-ups complete. Blake and Monica are ready on the right.

A19A%2BDSC_0116_zpsrfhuuxcc.jpg

She wants to fly!

A27%2BDSC_0125_zpsbxvrgmg7.jpg

She floated a bit on landing, no thanks to my extra few knots for Kelli and the boys.

A30%2BIMG_0253.JPG

Need I say more? My face still hurts from the non-stop RV grin.

Thanks a million to all who helped with this build. Joe, Kent, Bugsy, Rich, Steve, Gen Hostage and Gen Rew, Doug, Randy and Tony, Gary, Clayton, Terry, Erkle, Chris, Blake and Monica, TJ, Brandon, Juando, Glen and the Two Daves and the MarcAir crew, Mel, and so many others.

Now, to knock out that Phase I and turn KELLI GIRL into the Magical Memory Machine. To all you lurkers out there....JUST DO IT!! :D

Last edited:
Many congrats Scroll! Now I need a write-up for the web page - you know what I mean...;)

Bug splats are a better Christening of a new plane than a bottle of champagne... which is a waste of perfectly good alchoholic beverage when poured on a vessel.

Congrats!

Congratulations

Congratulations Sir, to you and to all who helped you complete the build! Looks like a great first flight!

- Rich

Flaps?

Could the float on landing have been partially attributed to what appears to be only about 10 degrees or so of flap deployment?

Love the plane, wish I could get my 7A done a little faster. And a big roger on the bug allowing the champagne to be used for a higher purpose.

Well done. If you are like me, sometimes I wish I was still building instead of constantly cleaning off the bugs!!! (NOT)

Sid,

Congrats on the 1st flight! Looks like a lot of work has transpired since your 6/25/10 demo ride! Well done! Now the fun really starts... ;)

Congrats

Thanks for posting. It helps motivate us who are still busy building to share in your joy of first flight!

Have fun with Phase 1!

Thank you all very kindly. Now if I can get work and weather out of the way, I'll keep the splats coming.

Could the float on landing have been partially attributed to what appears to be only about 10 degrees or so of flap deployment?

Sam,
This was definitely flaps 20 (half), but I agree it looks like less in the photo. I was carrying a little extra smash expecting a little float, and I used full runway on a reasonably calm day.

Congrats!

Congrats Sid!!! I know you will have as much fun with her as I am with mine. Glad I got to help you get started and achieve your dream!
Kent

Great splat

Now why on Earth would my RV-7A project, one that never traveled faster than what Tony Partain's truck could carry it, have a bug splat on its wing leading edge?

A33%2BIMG_2372.JPG

Because RV-7A N260KM flew her maiden flight yesterday! Actually, it was a 2-hop. The first flight was very brief, because I had no airspeed and because my SkyView EMS triggered a high CHT warning for my #3 cylinder. I climbed and turned directly into the downwind and landed using GPS ground speed.

I figured out that I hadn't loaded the correct CHT scales into the SkyView EMS configuration, and that I had crossed my pitot and AOA lines :rolleyes:, I corrected those and launched again. This time, everything was picture perfect. No roll/pitch/yaw problems, no heavy wing, no cautions or warnings...just one really happy and eager airplane.

A1%2BDSC_0090_zpsp6ur8zbp.jpg

Prebriefing the flight. Blake and Monica Graham (left) flew chase in their RV-7. Tony Malley (my brother-in-law, to my right) ran the ground crew. I wore my USAF Nomex because it was, after all, an EAB first flight.

A6%2BIMG_0261.JPG

My son Houston helping me get strapped in.

A8%2BIMG_0494.JPG

Ready for engine start.

A15%2BDSC_0111_zpscneww1nl.jpg

Run-ups complete. Blake and Monica are ready on the right.

A19A%2BDSC_0116_zpsrfhuuxcc.jpg

She wants to fly!

A27%2BDSC_0125_zpsbxvrgmg7.jpg

She floated a bit on landing, no thanks to my extra few knots for Kelli and the boys.

A30%2BIMG_0253.JPG

Need I say more? My face still hurts from the non-stop RV grin.

Thanks a million to all who helped with this build. Joe, Kent, Bugsy, Rich, Steve, Gen Hostage and Gen Rew, Doug, Randy and Tony, Gary, Clayton, Terry, Erkle, Chris, Blake and Monica, TJ, Brandon, Juando, Glen and the Two Daves and the MarcAir crew, Mel, and so many others.

Now, to knock out that Phase I and turn KELLI GIRL into the Magical Memory Machine. To all you lurkers out there....JUST DO IT!! :D

Great to notice the little things, like bug guts.
Great to also share your achievements.
Congrats.
Where did you get your helmet?
I'm looking for one now.
Daddyman

Thanks, Gents.

Daddyman,
That's my helmet from the USAF. I sent it to Gibson & Barnes who restored it, rewired it for 12v GA audio and added a boom mike. I think they sell helmets too.

Thanks, Gents.

Daddyman,
That's my helmet from the USAF. I sent it to Gibson & Barnes who restored it, rewired it for 12v GA audio and added a boom mike. I think they sell helmets too.

Sid, Could you give more info on this Gibson & Barnes? I've got a Navy helmet I'd like to restore.

Sid, Could you give more info on this Gibson & Barnes? I've got a Navy helmet I'd like to restore.

Google up Gibson & Barnes, then look at the "Products" menu on the left and click on 'Helmet service and repair.' Then give them a call.

I learned about G&B from Doug Reeves, who bought his helmet from them. There are other options like Oregon Aero, and they're pretty competitive. I went with G&B because, hey, if DR likes 'em, I like 'em too.

For that matter, they did a fantastic job on my helmet.

How is flight testing going Sid? Are you still in "the box"? :)

Vlad,
I'm sorry I didn't see your question. It's going well, slowly and steadily. I've got 11 hours left, but I've made a couple of tweaks. Randy Richmond installed a control door on my oil cooler to help get the oil temps up (yep, I said UP). Walt Aranow dynamically balanced my prop...WHOLE NEW airplane. Today I change the oil for the first time, and will have Blackstone Labs burn the sample. She's flying sweet, Vlad. I'm flying to the Stephenville fly-in in 2 weeks.

Back