What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alton Bay NH Winter Carnival

Vlad

Well Known Member
Fierce February here in the North East. Winter storms rolling one after another. Snow and snow and more snow every week. Flying conditions are very unique but there is some GA activity even during this harsh winter. Couple stoic RVators decided to go to Alton Bay B18 for their annual Winter Carnival. I had another plan and was about to launch in opposite direction to VA but somebody persuaded me to go his way :D

Idling for about 10 minutes at my home base Princeton Airport 39N. Airport owners are doing excellent job clearing miles of runway and taxiway for a single Russian to depart. You don't see the plough on the runway but it's there. Moving with a speed of light.

And there is a second one.

Ready to roll.

Picking up the Persuador at a Class Charlie airport on Long Island NY. From here I will sleep all the way to Alton Bay. He will manipulate and do all the rest. Here he is - an Army Spetsnaz.

We flew to Hartford KHFD to pick up Agent Orange. His airport was in worse shape. We waited in subzero temps for about 15 minutes. The wait paid off.

So I was all set. I had a lead who knows where to go and I had a PIC who can follow that lead.

I snored for an hour or so...

Last edited:
I slept till we arrived at our destination. There was a bit of turbulence but not much. Just enough for right stick to disengage. I woke up, hold my stick for a second while Spetsnaz inserted his back where it belongs.

Wow a lot of slush. And a lot of people too. Freezing cold and windy...

We parked and went to a restaurant ashore. Had a nice meal, warmed up and headed back to the airplanes. Holly Cow where is my RV?

Here she is safe and sound. The public was actually very nice. Nobody even touched the airplane.

Fired up and began to move but... had to wait at least 10 minutes. A Cessna got stuck in slush and maintenance crew went to rescue it. All clear RVs you can depart.

Refueled at Parlin Field 2B3. Do you know by any chance what's in there in the snow?

On the way back my cable driven tachometer turned a milestone.

My PIC left and I was chased out of his airport by this big boy with sharp winglets.

Winter Carnival was a definite success.

Last edited:
Vlad, looks like another successful mission!

An RV-4 is under that snow at Parlin Field!

Soon I will be with you guys in the -7!

I didnt know they gave Russki's Presidents day off!?!

Lol

;). CJ

Great story and photos, as usual. I think I'll stay South until it hits 50F and no snow in Ohio. That may not be until June. :)

I have to get my butt in gear and post my summer adventures.

Carnival?

Couldn't have been much of a carnival Vlad....no ferris wheel or bumper cars that I could see......just a few clowns in RV's....dooooohhh! :D:D

Congrats on the 1,000 hour Milestone!

It's been fun sharing your adventures. Can you imagine now what your life would be like without this machine?
By the way, one interior photo shows something that looks like a part of a deer antler. looking forward to your explanation.
Best,
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

It's been fun sharing your adventures. Can you imagine now what your life would be like without this machine?
By the way, one interior photo shows something that looks like a part of a deer antler. looking forward to your explanation.
Best,
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Terry it's a road of fun for sure. I couldn't imaging myself without this machine you are right.

Antler grab handle was made by Rockwood9 he found the right buck in Colorado for it. He may share the details. I love that handle when flying from the right. I made two custom bushings from aluminum leftovers and attached it to the panel with two AN3 bolts. Now every right seater has something to talk about... :D

On the way back my cable driven tachometer turned a milestone.

Soon you will catch up with me. When you have fun time passes by fast!
You always have great adventures to report and report them in such a fun style.

Great shot

That's a great shot on the front page as if I were coming out of the snowpile. :D As everyone does, I always enjoy Vlad's awesome pictures and storyline!

A fun time was had by all, thanks again for stopping by and waiting for the payloader to remove the large ice pile at the end of my hangar row! CJ, we missed you!

Vlad left out what happened after our 10 minute idle stabilization:

Extended upwind
IMG_3921_zps2d2edbf2.jpg

Further extended upwind
IMG_3924_zps7500ff6b.jpg

Autopilot with autothrottle
IMG_3939_zps0d62b91c.jpg

Perhaps somewhere near the 1000 tach hour mark? Still looking great!
IMG_3948a_zps385f4d3b.jpg

I have some video, too, whenever I get around to processing.

AO

AO, Great pix!

I will be there soon!

The plan is to move the -7 to KPYM in May!

At that time I will be ready to plug in the wings and get all in order for first flight this summer!

I am all registered and need my DAR, Jon Ross to give it the "thumbs up and I am good to go!

:) CJ

Back