What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Successful Hanging Party

Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I know that it only takes two people and about an hour to hang an engine. However, the significance of that event far outstretches the task performed. I have enjoyed every step of the journey constructing my 8A, better known as "Sweet Baby" (named after my wonderful wife, Elaine). There are certain milestones that should be recognized and celebrated. Giving Sweet Baby (the airplane, not the wife) her engine (coincidentally, I also named the engine: Constance, which is, of course, aspirational) is one of them.

Sweet Baby (the wife, not the airplane) did not really understand why I was going to have so many guys over and yet the only thing to be accomplished was the actual bolting of the engine to the mount. She was baffled that I was doing so much prep work when there were others showing up ready to help. It was hard to explain, but I told her that it was sort of like a bris (Jewish circumcision gathering) where just a little important work is done, then everyone celebrates and eats finger food.

So, I invited a dozen of my closest flying buds to an old fashioned hanging party. Not being a total idiot, I made sure to invite two of them, Jamie Painter and Jerry Fischer, who had actually done this before on their 7s. I sent everyone a copy of the Vans Airforce Article on Hanging Engines (an excellent reference, by the way) and everyone who was invited showed up.

Slemp_140518__MG_1400_zps881e7ac5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Although we had a lot of hands on deck, everyone participated. Jamie Painter in the maroon shirt and Jerry Fischer in the VAF hat led the charge, utilizing their experience. Everyone else pushed here, pulled there and fetched wrenches when necessary.

Slemp_140518__MG_1406_zpseff7d9c7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here, (L to R) Jamie, Frank Settle, me, John Morgan and Jerry fiddled and cajoled a bolt into the left upper mount.

Surprisingly, no cursing was needed, but one prayer was spoken, "Dear God, please don't let John Morgan f*** up my engine." By following the instructions in the VAF engine hanging article, we tightened the last nut down after what seemed about two hours. A great shout went up in the shop. During the Civil War, it would have been a Huzzah, but no one there really knew what that means, so we settled for a yee haw. Jim Anderson, my best bud, flying buddy and best man at my wedding, announced that the entire process had taken only 40 minutes.

Slemp_140518__MG_1451_zps41f269dd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The usual suspects: Back Row L to R, John Slemp, Jerry Fischer, Jim Anderson, Mikela Hicks, John Morgan, Frank Settle, Dakota Neilson; Front Row L to R, Jamie Painter, me, Peter DiTomaso, Jordan Brown and Doug Wagner

As a fortunate coincidence, one of my dear friends just happens to be world renown aviation photographer John Slemp (museum exhibits, Air & Space Magazine, etc.). Unbidden, John memorialized our sacred event with his jillion dollar camera, although Sweet Baby clicked the group photo above. John did his share of tugging and wheedling the bolts in, but his photographic skills were a bit out of our league. It is sort of like having Michelangelo paint your bathroom.

After the triumphant achievement of aviation engineering, we all repaired to the house, where Sweet Baby (the wife) laid on a feast of BBQ chicken, all the fixins, sweet tea and key lime pie. To our amazement, she had also decorated the dining room with the most expensive table decoration I could ever imagine. God, I love that girl.

Slemp_140518__MG_1461_zpsb6a33d5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As long as I live, and as much as I will fly in Sweet Baby (with Sweet Baby!) when construction is finished, I will never forget this day and the love, support and help I have received from my dear friends and family.

Wow, Steve. Looks like it was a terrific and successful event! Thanks for sharing.

Doug
Seattle area
-4, wings

Congrats Steve! Hanging the engine is a big accomplishment and makes you finally feel like you got yourself an airplane!

Keep that momentum going.

Congratulations on the milestone, Steve, and what a cool post! It ought to dispel any remnant notions that all this RV stuff is just about airplanes.

Congrats

Congratulations Steve. I remember that day about 1 year ago. It feels great to have the engine sitting on it. Then in no time it flys. Just finished my phase I 15 days ago and have already made 2 trips to south florida. Keep pounding those rivets.... Or turning the bolts as the case is now, and sanding the fiberglass

Steve,
Sorry I wasn't able to make it, I had to go to Florida to celebrate with some very long time drinking buddies. So very long time, in fact, that the only difference between then and now is that now we don't need the fake id's.

Vlad, one reason that this hanging party was happier than others was that at most hanging parties, the guest of honor is very unhappy.

Great writeup Steve, wish I coulda been there. Maybe for the prop installation.

Dang Sam!

The only bummer of the evening was your absence. Together, you and I set just about every rivet in the wings and most of the rivets in the fuse. I wouldn't even think of bolting that prop onto Constance without you. Besides, I kind of like the prop as a table decoration for now.

Michaelangelo...?

Hey Steve!

Thanks so much for the kind mention. It might be a stretch to compare me to the Italian master, but I'll take it as a very kind complement nonetheless.

It was a wonderful evening, and everything that EAA is supposed to be about...

All Best,

John

Congrats Steve. How great is it to have such fantastic friends that come out to help and share your success. What an awesome crew!

LOL

Your write-up of your hanging party is priceless! Thank you! :D

(I'm the crazy woman who flagged you down at Triple Tree last year just to meet the one with the great "avatar"!)

Now its...

Just a matter of time to first flight, it goes pretty quickly from here Steve.
It has been my pleasure to help on your project. You and Elaine are the best.:p

Never have so many enjoyed so much, while doing so little, as hanging an engine! It looks like a great time was had by all. It is a wonderful time to get some pointing and grunting by the brain trust at all your work too.

Congratulations!

Great times Steve. Congrats on the hanging! Great to see the EAA 690 crew supporting. Also noticed Dakota Nelson in there. I gave him his first Young Eagles ride years ago.

Congratulations Steve! I know it must feel good to have it mounted. It sounds like you all had a good time in the process.

Back