What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Move

seattleworm

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After a week's of planning and coordination, my RV-7 finally arrived its new home at airport. Big thanks to Richard and Chris. The only challenge was the trailer is about 3' shorter than the distance from the main wheels to tail wheel. We had to bolt in a 2"x10" to support the tail. The 2"x10" extending 3' out doesn't look very strong due to the amount of deflection with loads. Since there is only about 40 lbs of weight on the tail, it is good enough for that. Just so glad this is done, and I am one step closer to the first flight.

n3uiaf.jpg

2rxfs7m.jpg

bz908.jpg

Move

Congrats Shawn! I bet it was a great sight seeing your airplane going down the highway. :) Turned a few heads?

Thanks!

An airplane driven down the road only turned a few heads, but I definitely enjoyed the view :)

Russ, the airplane is at KPAE, I will be there most of the weekends, so feel free to stop by.

With VS and HS attached it really looks like an airplane on the road. How far is the airport from the house? At what speed were you driving?

Vlad,
It was a 30 mile drive to the airport, at 60 mph most of the time. I guess if I put wings on it will want to fly. Actually, I think the speed may have helped some on reducing the weight on the 2"x10" lumber that I had to bolted on the trailer to support the tail wheel :) I was a little nervous about that even I did some calculation showing it should fine.

Jeff,
I still go down to KPLU every weekend to fly that J-3. I got my tailwheel endorsement at 3.8 hrs, but I have to get total 20 hrs dual on taildragger (10 hrs will be from Mike Seager) for insurance purpose. Not sure if that's an typical requirement. I don't mind flying more, especially I will possibly do the first flight myself. It is just a little hard to accumulate time during winter season here at NW.

Shawn,
I remember my big move. You are almost ready for the first engine start and then first flight. I figure about 10 good evenings of work. Congratulations.

Do you need to be at the hanger for 1st engine start? How about in the driveway in front of one's garage, feeding the engine fuel from a gas can?

My only concern would be the fuselage flipping over from the engine/prop torque without the inertia of the wings. But that might be a non issue.

I thought I read somewhere (on this forum??) that Van recommends Not to run an engine until AFTER the wings are attached.:confused:

Back