What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR cert

eric.kallio

Well Known Member
I have seen some stuff in the archives, but figured I would throw out another question. My 24 hour is due (actually was in October but forgot...oops). Question relates to who can do the actual inspection. I am the maintenance officer of an Army aviation maintenance facility so I have access, and permission, to use the equipment that meets, and normally exceeds the specs set forth in the FARs. I do hold an A&P and have military avionics technicians who perform the same inspections (at 12 month intervals) on our helicopters. So, since we are not an FAA repair station, what is the legality of conducting my 24 month IFR cert at my facility?

Eric

Copied and pasted from my website FAQ section:
(bottom line is you still can't do it)

Who can perform these inspections?
With few exceptions, only an FAA Certified Repair Station (CRS) with the appropriate ratings may perform the inspections required by CFR 91.411 and 91.413.

Can a builder with a repairman certificate for the aircraft he built perform his own altimeter, static or transponder certifications?
The FAR’s authorize the "manufacturer" of the aircraft to conduct the tests However, the builder of an amateur-built aircraft does not meet the FAA’s definition of a manufacturer. The FAA, in Order 8130.2, defines a manufacturer as a Production Approval Holder (PAH). Some examples of a PAH would be the holder of a Production Certificate (PC), a Parts Manufacturing Authority (PMA), and Technical Standards Order Authorization (TSOA). An amateur builder does not fit this definition. Thus, the amateur-builder cannot perform the transponder and pitot/static tests on his/her homebuilt.

I have seen some stuff in the archives, but figured I would throw out another question. My 24 hour is due (actually was in October but forgot...oops). Question relates to who can do the actual inspection. I am the maintenance officer of an Army aviation maintenance facility so I have access, and permission, to use the equipment that meets, and normally exceeds the specs set forth in the FARs. I do hold an A&P and have military avionics technicians who perform the same inspections (at 12 month intervals) on our helicopters. So, since we are not an FAA repair station, what is the legality of conducting my 24 month IFR cert at my facility?

Eric

You can do all the checks you want, but since you are not an FAA Certified Repair Station (CRS) with the appropriate ratings (CFR 91.411 and 91.413) you can't sign any of them off.

:cool:

Oh well

Unfortunately, this is what I knew after searching the FARs and your site and prevous posts Walt. But, I was still hoping to find a way to be more efficient about getting it done. We even have 4 EC-145 helicopters that we maintain IAW the FARs and not Army manuals, and have FAA approval to conduct the IFR cert on these aircraft. However, our authorization is limited to only these aircraft because I went down that road too. Just hurts to have to pay $400 to a shop to do it, when I have better equipment, and in this case techs who are as good, if not better in some areas, than the ones at the repair station. At least I can bring the plane in when I have duty Friday and and check it out and fix any leaks or issues here, and not paying someone else to do it.

Eric

perhaps

Maybe you could find someone who would watch you do it and sign you off at a reduced price?

There is only 1 repair station around and they are ok to work with. I have used them once and did not have an issue and they were actually pretty helpful, but I have had some mixed reviews from others. I am just going to do the work Friday at my facility and complete the exact same Inspection Report that they use, and we use for our military aircraft, and hang on to it for when I go. That way when/if I am told, well you have a leak that is going to take a few hours to fix, I can pull out what I came up with adn compare notes. If nothing else it is good practice for my guys to get some time on something other than helicopters.

Eric

There is only 1 repair station around and they are ok to work with. I have used them once and did not have an issue and they were actually pretty helpful, but I have had some mixed reviews from others. I am just going to do the work Friday at my facility and complete the exact same Inspection Report that they use, and we use for our military aircraft, and hang on to it for when I go. That way when/if I am told, well you have a leak that is going to take a few hours to fix, I can pull out what I came up with adn compare notes. If nothing else it is good practice for my guys to get some time on something other than helicopters.

Eric

Remember you might not have a leak today and one crop up a few days later, there are no guarantees. That is why you have to do the check every few years.

"Feces occurs."

:cool:

Last edited:
Back