What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument size

TerryWighs

Well Known Member
This may be an odd thread, however I shall continue. I am presently designing my instrument panel (center portion) in the RV-8. I drew in flight instruments that are the standard 3 1/8 size. As I sat in the cockpit, because of that "up and personal feeling" this size of instruments seem "unusually large". I am now pondering putting in 2 1/4 inch size? Comments welcomed.

Last edited:
I can't speak much to the -8, but for design, the larger instruments are 3 1/8". I would put primaries at 3 1/8 and maybe less used instruments at 2 1/4".

.... Over the years of flying, I have been told many times that I have a very large primary instrument and must say it has always served me well, never ever letting me down. I have never had any complaints from anyone viewing or having occasion to use my primary instrument! If I were you I would go with the biggie. Thanks, Allan..:rolleyes:

Terry, I like your post. Most panels that you see people using are boring!! You walk up to an RV 4 or 8 and look in and see a black screen and a couple of switches. What drew you to the cockpit was many gauges, switches and levers.

Here's my opinion of a great panel for an eight.....

Start off with a basic (no AHRS) MLG XTreme and engine probes and RDAC... http://www.mglavionics.com/html/xtreme_efis.html right in the center top of the panel. But, just above and centered is a slip and skid ball..... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/winterslipindicator.php?clickkey=148873

On the left, Van's airspeed 3 1/8th. On the right, Van's 3000fpm VSI.

Centered under the XTreme, Van's tach and manifold pressure.
On each side of the tach and MP, Van's fuel gauges.
Then fit in your transponder and a MGL V6 comm radio and A/P head. Toss in a GPS and you have a vfr panel with some character.

Paint the panel a medium dark grey.

Consider

Terry, I started flying a "Glass" panel at your age. I'm now 68 and wouldn't go back to 'steam' for anything. Having all the flight instruments AND an HSI, plus localizer and glideslope on one screen is awesome!

Gasman has a good suggestion.

Best,

Thanks Pierre, and Gasman,
After years of steam, this will be an interesting transition. Was your IFR transition to glass a handful?

My transition from steam to glass wasn't hard. I transitioned with a Dynon D series, which is much more basic than some of the options, which might have been a benefit. Unless you have a huge screen, the scan will be tighter and easier to see the necessary info (less interpretation needed, IMHO), and bugs are very nice as well.

Terry, my -10 has steam backup gauges and that made it really easy to transition to the glass and IFR is so simple with my ADI 2 autopilot as well.
Here's my dash:

Dash-10.jpg

Besides, you can remove the vacuum pump and save weight overall.

Best,

The weight for the vacuum system helps, but the maintenance and complexity it adds to the system is a bigger issue yet.

Pierre, nice clean panel.

Back