What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traffic warning while flying IFR with ADS-B on board

tc1234c

Well Known Member
Last night while flying IFR (in mostly VFR weather) Lousville Approach asked me whether I had two transponders on board. He saw both my IFR transponder code and a 1200 code from my radar return. After I told him the 1200 must came from my ADS-B OUT he asked me to IDENT. He must have seen the traffic conflict warning on his screen just like I did on mine. In my previous IFR flights ATC never raised this issue.

I have NavWorx ADS600B, GRT H1 WS, and Garmin GTX 327. Other than using a terminal emulator to set the Flight ID to the transponder code, I don't see any easy way to eliminate this problem. Anyone have similar experience?

How do you send the squawk code assigned to the ADS600B?

Here is some info from the Advanced forums that talks about this interface, sounds like you need to do the same thing with the 327 so both units are sending the same code to ATC. I'd be curious to see the install manual for the Navworks unit if someone has it available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NavWorx ADS-B Connections
I installed the Navworx ADSB box this week end. The traffic is amazing, up to 28 targets on Sunday evening while flying over the top of Atlanta Hartsfield. However, the one problem I noticed was that if you looked carefully you would see a yellow target right underneath your airplane, colored yellow. It always matched my altitude, and since I wasn't getting an audio traffic warning, I concluded that it was being presented by the ADSB and not the TIS from the Garmin 330. I spoke with Bill Moffit and ran another wire last night, and configured the ADSB to accept the squawk codes from the Garmin 330 and on this morning's flight the ghost target was gone.
So here is the fix:

Run a single conductor shielded wire from either RS232 1 or RS232 2 of the 330 transponder to pin 33 of the ADSB box. Pin 33 is not documented for this purpose yet, but it works. We are already using pin 7 for the AFS serial altitude out to the ADSB, so pin 7 is unavailable. Configure the 330 for REMOTE + TIS. Then, using the PC attached to the maintenance port of the ADSB send the command TXCP GTX330. You can verify it is working by putting in a code other than 1200 in the 330 and then use the READ ALL command to the ADSB and see the new Squawk code in the ADSB box.

It was NOT fun getting upside down to install this wire to the back of the 330! Hopefully, this will help those who are still in the wiring phases.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ted,
Got the manual, thanks. I don't see anything in it about remote setting of the flight ID, I would contact Navworks and ask the question about remote setting the flight ID from the 327 or perhaps a seperate head to set the squawk code like Freeflight does.

If the ADS-B and Xpdr are transmitting different Flight ID numbers that would seem to be an issue for ATC (with a 330 you will have a "ghost" target conflict continuously) :confused:

Squalk Code

I have having a similar problem, here is what I have learned. I am using the NavWorx with the Chartflier software on a tablet PC. The Chartflier software had an area where you can enter your squalk code and it is supposed to change it in the ADS-600B. Unfortunately, it does not work for some reason. Using the Transponder fix above seems like the best option, but I don't have a 330 or any transponder that can output its code.

Skyvision xtreme also has software to change the code, but I don't know if it actually works (the trial version does not have that feature).

The PC Avionics software (Mountain Scope) does not even have the feature, Todd says that NavWorx will not provide the format.

Note that the FAA regs on ADS-B require that the squalk code 1) be the same between the transponder and ADS-B transmitter, and that 2) any new code be entered in a single location an simultaneously affect both transmitters. So for now I am religated to turning off my ADS-600B whenever I am asked to change my squalk.

I am really glad that the Garmin 330 connection is working... but I'd hate to have to upgrade my transponder just because I went to ADS-B, I had held off dishing out the $$$ because I was waiting for traffic from ADS-B. Perhaps someone will come up with a device (for use by those of us with older transponders) that will sense the transponder's squalk code then program the ASD-600B.

All that said, it is simply awesome to now have Traffic and Weather!!

You should have the following connection:

GTX-327 -> ADSB 600

20 -> 33
13 -> 32

This should enable your GTX327 to set the transponder code in the ADS-B unit.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Last edited:
Thanks. I finally connected GTX-327 p20 -> ADS600-B p33 according to Walt. Unfortunately I was not able to configure ADS600-B (not sure whether it is my USB-serial adapter problem). Is it necessary to connect GTX-327 p13 to ADS600-B p32? Do I still need to enter "TXCP GTX330" on ADS600-B? I configured the GTX-327 serial out as "remote".

Installing a pin to the back of GTX-327 was not fun. But, the second time won't be as hard as the first.

I see, p13 of GTX327 is power ground and the pin32 of ADS600-B is also ground.

By the way, the pin out for ADS600-B has been changed S/N number 851.

13 - 32 are ground connections, shouldn't be an issue if they are not hooked up.

The latest Navworx manual has the wiring and configuration for the 327 and 330 remote tuning.

Send the following command to the ADS600- B: TXCP GTX327.

Last edited:
Send the following command to the ADS600- B: TXCP GTX327.

Something else to note. All the commands have 'SET' in front, except this one. Don't send 'SET TXCP GTX327', just send 'TXCP GTX327'

With the pin-outs mentioned above and this command set properly, you should communicate.

Just received an email from Bill and I need to send my unit back for upgrade before this feature will work.

no joy

I was told a 2 day turn around so right away I sent my unit back for upgrade. After acknowledging received of my unit, I have not heard from them again. My phone message and emails were not returned. Just wonder what is going on.

UAT Console PC application for NavWorx.

I got my unit back in February. However, after I got it back I can no longer use Tera Term to configure ADS600-B. I was told that they have changed to use their own UAT Console PC application for configuration. Bill mentioned that he would send me a copy on Feb 27. So far I have not received it. Several of my emails to their customer service were not answered neither. Just wonder whether any of you have of copy that you can send to me. Thanks.

adsb

I have a 327 xponder and Extreme Vision Navwork box. I was told the 327 had to be sent back to Garmin for an update before it would control the Navwork code output. I now have to set the 327 code and set the code in the BenQ that Extreme Vision is using. Anyone been able to work around this inconvenience?

What version is your firmware in the 327? The latest which has been out for some time is suppose to have this ability. Getting your firmware updated is a fairly painless process. Some avionics shops can do it while you wait.

Last edited:
Ted,
That is a bummer. That makes me decide not to upgrade my unit until I get their controller software in hand. There seem to be a bunch of issues that are taking a really long time to get resolved....
I still have not way to change the output code on my navworx box in flight. So when I get a different transponder code I just live with the red target on my screen. The guys at Chartflier and also Todd at PC avionics say that Navworx will not provide them with the protocol. hmmm. I also cannot get the ADS-600 to accept the serialized encoder output from my altimiter.. this I also blame on the Navworx unit but the problem may lie with my encoder.

Still, I really love having weather and traffic. I upgraded to a Pixel Qi screen and it is ultra clear and bright in the sunlight.

Navworx control and issues, Is Navworx still in business?

I have a Navworx unit working great in our RV6 operated by a MGL Odyssey Efis. The Odyssey will let you change your ADSB code to match the Transponder Code if like in our case we have a old KT76A XPDR. I have seen the dual track on both my G430 and Efis when I forget to change the Adsb code. But the ghost target goes away pretty quick after its changed to match the transponder. I also have the Navworx SW that lets me connect into the mntc port and control or monitor the unit with a small net book computer. It would work as a backup way for setting changing your Navworx code if you don't have a direct way through what ever display you are using.

But I also have a big issue with Navworx. I sent a 2nd Navworx unit into Bill Moffett last September to have its RS422 interface fixed. Well Navworx won't send the fixed unit back. It's been almost 9 months now and they won't even answer the phone when I call anymore. Bill is a nice guy but I don't know what's going on their anymore? Is Navworx still in business? Has anybody else received anything from Navworx lately? I do have to recommend you be careful buying anything from Navworx right now, I'm out $2600. I would like to get my $$ back until they can actually deliver me a working unit but that seems unlikely with no contact from them for a month now? Anybody else having problems with Navworx?

Cecil

I received my ADS600B about a month ago. Took @4 months to get after I ordered it. I was only able to get Bill on the phone once after I received it to ask for the manual. I tried calling a few times during the 4 month wait and was only able to talk to the receptionist twice, who unfortunately couldn't really answer any questions. I've tried multiple of times to email, but never got a response.
I haven't installed mine yet, although it's been wired for it for months. I just hope I don't have any issues because I'm not looking forward to trying to get support from bill given his lack of availability.

I got my GTX327 firmware updated for $100. I configured serial out to be REMOTE. At this point I can only hope it works since I can not check it. With the configuration software at least I will be able to verify whether this works.

I have similar experience with NavWorx. Apparently, Bill is overwhelmed with FAA/FCC certification issues. I've had a Navworx unit, of one model or another, in my -6 for over two years. I have upgraded the unit several times. Bill was reasonably responsive until the last one, which took almost three months. But he finally came through and I am very pleased with the current unit. I have the ARINC 429 traffic on the 430 and weather on Wing
X. Squawk code is controlled from the GTX327. It works great and I am a happy camper! But it shouldn't have been so difficult. Bill should definitely pay more attention to customer support.

For those with similar issues related to MGL systems, please select "Slave ADSB <-> transponder" in the ADSB or Transponder setup menu on the EFIS.
Once done, any code entered on one will be echoed on the other.

This is for systems using ADSB-out and transponders (Garrecht mode-s or Sandia mode-c) controlled from the EFIS.

Similar functionality is provided by iEFIS - but you need to tell the EFIS if you want the two two follow each other as there may be cases where you do not want that.

Rainier

Navworx provides my unit

Navworx (Bill Moffitt) provided me my missing UAT today. So I should be back fully operational soon! So if anyone needs a little help with your UAT setup let me know and I will see if I can help.

Cecil

Back