What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Creating a T-intersection in 22ga from ADSB

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
What is the acceptable method for making a T in 22 ga? I have to split the receive and transmit signals from my ADSB receiver to the PFD and MFD.

I had to splice the power and ground wires cuz the harness that comes with the Dynon ADSB is about 3' too short when mounted in the tail, near the antenna, as I have done. I did this using dSubs, crimping them slightly to keep them together, then double heat shrinking over the splice.

I'm not sure inserting two 22ga wires in a standard dSub will fit, but haven't tried it, yet.

Is this acceptable? If not, what is the alternative?

Just strip a small section say 1/4”. Then wrap the stripped section of the other wire around the exposed wire. Solder the wires together and cover with heat shrink tubing. Simple. It does require that you have a good stripper. I usually do it 2-3 inches from the end of the wire.

As discussed in above posts, one RS-232 OUT signal may be spliced into two wires, each going to an RS232-IN port. (Vice versa doesn’t work.) But do you need to do this at all? For example, my MFD and PFD are a pair of GRT Hx units, with a high speed ethernet connection between them. I just feed adsb-in data to one Hx, and it shares it with the other Hx over the ethernet connection. What brand are your MFD and PFD, and can they similarly share this data between them?
PS. To answer the original question, using d-sub connectors for splicing (where you have no intention of ever unplugging the wires) is both overkill and not the best solution. Use good quality butt (crimp) splices and move on.

Last edited:
As discussed in above posts, one RS-232 OUT signal may be spliced into two wires, each going to an RS232-IN port. (Vice versa doesn’t work.) But do you need to do this at all? For example, my MFD and PFD are a pair of GRT Hx units, with a high speed ethernet connection between them. I just feed adsb-in data to one Hx, and it shares it with the other Hx over the ethernet connection. What brand are your MFD and PFD, and can they similarly share this data between them?
PS. To answer the original question, using d-sub connectors for splicing (where you have no intention of ever unplugging the wires) is both overkill and not the best solution. Use good quality butt (crimp) splices and move on.

Good question. I'm using Dynon D1000's and they do have a network connection. So, I need to look to see if I need to split the signal. Might be, yes, if the PFD goes down. I would still have ADSB on the MFD since it has it's own signal.

Back