What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Training With Bruce Bohannon

KCMI Pilot

I'm New Here
I'm totally new to the RV world and very intrigued by the RV8. For a personal plane, I'd rather buy a sports car than a big sedan but I had never flown an 8 so I needed to figure out how to get some time in one. Decided to get a hold of BB in Angleton, TX (south of Houston) and visit for an intro to the 8 while in the area. All I can say is....money well spent. Bruce is a great instructor and will make you a better pilot no matter what you fly or how much experience you have. His RV and tailwheel experience is extensive and he tries to pass on the lessons he's learned to those he works with. I tried to absorb everything I could and I know I left a better pilot for the experience. Now the search begins for a good RV8 then back the Bruce for some additional training so I don't pile it up! Go see him, it is a treat to fly with a legend!

RV8 Training with Bruce Bohannon

+1 for Bruce Bohannon, I just flew with him a week ago and it was money well spent. I am building an RV8 and I will go back and fly with Bruce again just before my 8 is finished.

Hey All,

I'm new to the forum as well as the general aviation community. After 30+ years as an airline pilot I've finally been bit by the small airplane bug. I was told by friends that an RV-8 may fit my bill. Boy were they right! One of the coolest most well balanced airplanes I've ever flown.

I just finished training with Bruce Bohannon down in Angleton @ 81D. We spent 1.5 hours in his cub to finish up my tailwheel endorsement and then we went to work in his RV-8 for 10 hours. His pace, timing and demeanor make for an awesome learning environment. His experience and knowledge make for great instruction. We spent much time on takeoffs, landings, simulated engine out landings as well as air work. His ability to catch me off guard with abnormal scenarios amused me. I was surprised how quickly controlling the aircraft started to feel so natural and comfortable. Good job Van's! We did do a fair amount of aerobatics while traveling between fields. He will let you do as much or as little as you like dealing with traffic/radio work. After day one, I wanted to do it all since he won't always be my back seater. For me, it was an outstanding experience.

The only thing I will warn some about is that he likes his smokes. Didn't bother me at all, but I'm aware that this may be more of a nuisance for others. He does focus heavy on 3 point landings and tends to spend little time on wheel landings. On day 3&4 I expressed interest in doing more wheel landings for exposure. I intend to practice both types, become very proficient and use them accordingly.

If your looking for an RV-8 checkout, go see Bruce. I doubt very much you'll be disappointed. Also if aerobatics interest you, then he's also your guy. Truly awesome experience.

Eric Koreski

The only thing I will warn some about is that he likes his smokes. Didn't bother me at all, but I'm aware that this may be more of a nuisance for others.

I smoked for a couple of years after my wife passed. As Bruce and I were heading back to his field on the last day of transition training I commented “ Boy I could use a smoke right now!” A couple of seconds later over my left shoulder appeared a freshly lit cigarette. A great ending to a great experience.

Bruce is not only an exemplary pilot and instructor, but also a gentleman.

Back