What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wrench for fuel tank fittings

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hi all, has anyone found a wrench that works on the &$#@& fuel tank fittings? Its almost impossible to get a wrench in there.

Attachments

• 2C711493-0658-445C-8BE3-9F57DC71FF75.jpeg
    2C711493-0658-445C-8BE3-9F57DC71FF75.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 234
Definitely wasn’t easy. I believe my final tool was a crow’s foot with a 12” extension.

I've done it two ways.. The first time was open end wrenches with my XXL hands wedged through the inspection hole. Not fun at all. The second time was with crows foot wrenches and a LONG extension as Bob Y said. Much, much, easier.

wrench solution

Time to get out the torch and get creative. I have been a mechanic for 55 years and have a bunch of wrenches that have experienced the torch. Bend them to the shape you want and go to work. No more cussing and pinching fingers. I have drawer in my tool box just for those special wrenches. I have bunch.
Sure they cost money but so do cuts and cussing your way to damaged parts. Fire it up.
Depending on the quality of the wrench, it will probably be just as strong if you cool it properly. I've never actually broken a bent wrench yet.

Last edited:
I cut don some box end wrenches for brakelline fittings and fuel fittings to supplement my crow’s feet wrenches. Every time I alter a tool for a specific job I label it and bag it with the other tools involved. I also bag and tag unaltered tools for things like changing tires and tubes. Leads to duplication in my tool inventory, but it makes life easier when the infrequent task comes up so you aren’t trying to figure out what size socket or Allen wrench is needed.

Crows Foot wrench

After over 50 years of wrenching I discovered the value of a good crows foot wrench while working on a riding lawn mower last summer. With a twelve-inch long 3/8-inch drive extension, I couldn't believe how easy it was. I'm agreeing with the posts above...looks like your situation could benefit from a 6 pt flare nut crows foot wrench and extension.

If it will only be used on flair fitting "B" nuts Like on the bottom of the RV-12 tank) , the torque is relatively low and a standard cheapy set from Harbor Freight will work just fine.
If you need a tool for a hose end on to a steel fitting than a flair crows foot is probably a good idea.

Back