What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco breaks issues

Did you install the Marco breaks on your RV10

• Yes, over 50hrs and so far happy with the them

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yes, over 250hrs and so far happy them

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • yes, over 250hrs, no issues but wouldnt install them if had to again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, had issues almost immediately and regret installing them

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • yes, had issues after ~200 hours or more and regret installing them

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hello all,
Following a thread on Facebook, I believe this issue should be also discussed here, and I suggest a pole.
It seems like that many are experiencing issues with the Matco breaks , cracking pads to be specific.
Since this is an "upgarde" many have done or considering ( I have) , I wonder how many indeed suffer from this issue, how many are not, and weather its a good idea to recommend RV10 builders to avoid purchasing them in the future?

(and forgot to add an option: "No, I installed Van's stock". Doesn't seem to be an option to revise it.
So lets keep this pole for the ones who did install them and their experience with it

Last edited:
I've definitely seen issues with the linings cracking. Replaced the steel lining plates and the sliding pins/bushings at Matco's recommendation. Maybe this is better but it's not clear that's the case.

Marco

As I hate to say it but the master cylinders go bad and cause your brakes to drag. I’ve personally replaced them with Grove masters In 6 Rvs and 2 Glastar’s. Rebuilding does no good. Only thing I’ve seen that helps completely release the brakes is installing a external spring on the shaft.

I have the Matco brakes. 32 months/240 hours, no issues. Did a lot of short field emergency landing practice this year with maximum braking. Just did my condition and have enough Brake left for one more year (if I lay off the short field heavy braking training for a while). I plan to recheck them at six months. Been very satisfied. Lots of braking power. Worth the money to me.

One add on. To prevent the peddle’s brake cylinders from failing to fully extend after pressure is applied, you can slide Springs over the cylinder rods. They need to be Long enough where the springs have enough load to push the cylinder out. This will help prevent drag issues caused by the cylinders not fully extending.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in a picture of how springs are installed

Thread post about it here https://vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1363600&postcount=24

brake-mod-parts.jpg

brake-piston-assembled.jpg

Mine is basically the same but not as fancy. The spring rests against the cylinder body on the bottom and a washer at the top. I can snap a picture when I’m out at the airplane this week.

I just ordered springs and collars for my brakes too.
McMaster parts: 9657K115 and 9946K13

Back