What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emergency Level on a Tru Trak gemini auto pilot

donaziza

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. I've got a Tru Trak Gemini autopilot installed. Its got one of those "Emergency Level" buttons for guys who accidentally get in the soup, and don't know how to fly instruments. So I thought, Ok, let me give this thing the acid test. So I rolled my 8 inverted, and then hit the emergency level button. Did it recover??:rolleyes: Oh yeah--------------by doing a split S. So if you try this, make sure you're only doing 95 KIAS, and have your throttle back to idle, (per Vans recommendations---------------------and have tons of altitude.:p:D

If you actually get in the soup as you say why not just engage the A/P in any normal mode? Why wait till you are hopelessly disorientated when the unit is just sitting there available? I don't get that? I use my TT A/P all the time, best thing ever:)

I dunno----I didn't design it. Other than my split S experience, I guess if one is within 45* of bank, and 30* of pitch, and you get in the soup, and panic, hitting this button will automatically right the airplane for you. You then hit the roll control knob, and dial in 180* from your present heading, and one should fly out of the soup. I don't know, but I'm guessing most small airplane autopilots now have this feature. Makes sense to me.:cool:

You don't say "soup" in Australia?

I use that button all the time. I use it to activate the auto pilot, it levels off and holds a track. Then I hand off to the AFS. I find this to be the easiest method to engage the autopilot, least button presses and easier to press than the joystick. I've never tried it in an unusual attitude.

Hi everyone. I've got a Tru Trak Gemini autopilot installed. Its got one of those "Emergency Level" buttons for guys who accidentally get in the soup, and don't know how to fly instruments. So I thought, Ok, let me give this thing the acid test. So I rolled my 8 inverted, and then hit the emergency level button. Did it recover??:rolleyes: Oh yeah--------------by doing a split S. So if you try this, make sure you're only doing 95 KIAS, and have your throttle back to idle, (per Vans recommendations---------------------and have tons of altitude.:p:D

Thats a great bit of safety advice. I will update my emergency checklists accordingly. Lol! ;)

Last edited:
I use that button all the time. I use it to activate the auto pilot, it levels off and holds a track. Then I hand off to the AFS. I find this to be the easiest method to engage the autopilot, least button presses and easier to press than the joystick. I've never tried it in an unusual attitude.

Very good idea, I never thought of that but much easier to engage the system if bouncing around a bit, a quick left click on the joystick after that and you are in GPS track mode. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip.
Fig

Back