What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Practicing Rolling [Half] Circles

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
My first few attempts at rolling circles in the RV. I've done a few in the Laser as well, and it's definitely more work and harder doing it in the RV.

For the non-aerobatic crowd, rolling circles are continuous rolls done around a circle on the horizontal plane. It's challenging coordination and orientation-wise, but it's fun!

Edit: The original Youtube link had problems, so here's another video I did from before. You can tell that I'm a newbie at this. I'll use all the tips I got from you guys to try to improve and post another video in a few weeks. With camera facing forward for better critiquing.
https://youtu.be/kV3c5LxEEuY

Last edited:
Hey Brian, great to see you being branching out with the RV! Though the IAC judge in me must mention that you are doing a whole lot of turning under positive G, but almost no turning under negative G. The nose moves very little across the horizon from each inverted position to upright position. Reset your G meter before practicing each one and try to make the G meter register equal pos/neg G - 2-2.5G will do it. That will at least tell you you're in the ballpark with equal pos/neg turn rates. Also be sure to use lots of rudder during the wings level (upright and inverted) phases to keep that nose moving through the horizon. You wanna try to evenly integrate all the turning with the rolling and keep the nose moving through the turn regardless of attitude. RVs of course have much less rudder authority than dedicated acro ships, but the more challenging it is, the more fun it is right? :)

I appreciate the tips, Eric. Yes, I realized that (about pulling more positive than negative). I was cheating b/c it's not comfortable for me to push too much negative - especially the switching back and forth between negative and positive is really uncomfortable. But I'm getting better at tolerating it. And the rudder authority is horrible in the RV compared to aerobatic mounts like my Laser (which is sold as of today) or a Pitts. These planes also handle more neutrally, whether you're on the negative or positive portions of the maneuver. For the RV, when positive, very little stick force is required, but while negative, I almost have to use both hands to push and the rudder requires so much force, I feel like my legs are getting a work out, and still the nose hardly moves (while moving through the level portions, inverted or upright).

I know I have LOTS to work on - roller are pretty new to me. I don't plan on ever competing at that level anyway. I'm just having fun and seeing what I can do with an RV. :)

On another note, do you guys feel comfortable snapping in the RV? I feel like it's abusing the plane and I'm afraid something might break if it's done too often. How about snaps on the down-line (like right after a hammer when airspeed is low)?

Hey Brian, great to see you being branching out with the RV! Though the IAC judge in me must mention that you are doing a whole lot of turning under positive G, but almost no turning under negative G. The nose moves very little across the horizon from each inverted position to upright position. Reset your G meter before practicing each one and try to make the G meter register equal pos/neg G - 2-2.5G will do it. That will at least tell you you're in the ballpark with equal pos/neg turn rates. Also be sure to use lots of rudder during the wings level (upright and inverted) phases to keep that nose moving through the horizon. You wanna try to evenly integrate all the turning with the rolling and keep the nose moving through the turn regardless of attitude. RVs of course have much less rudder authority than dedicated acro ships, but the more challenging it is, the more fun it is right? :)

The RV takes lots of forward stick to maintain inverted or negative G flight and the rudder isn't big enough to maintain knife edge flight. That makes it a difficult airplane to do competition aerobatics with, but that makes it that much more of a challenge! Get the rolling circles and snap rolls down and you will be able to compete at the intermediate level of IAC competition. Beating pilots who fly Pitts and Extras is super rewarding! Keep it up.

I appreciate the tips, Eric. Yes, I realized that (about pulling more positive than negative). I was cheating b/c it's not comfortable for me to push too much negative - especially the switching back and forth between negative and positive is really uncomfortable. But I'm getting better at tolerating it. And the rudder authority is horrible in the RV compared to aerobatic mounts like my Laser (which is sold as of today) or a Pitts. These planes also handle more neutrally, whether you're on the negative or positive portions of the maneuver. For the RV, when positive, very little stick force is required, but while negative, I almost have to use both hands to push and the rudder requires so much force, I feel like my legs are getting a work out, and still the nose hardly moves (while moving through the level portions, inverted or upright).

I know I have LOTS to work on - roller are pretty new to me. I don't plan on ever competing at that level anyway. I'm just having fun and seeing what I can do with an RV. :)

On another note, do you guys feel comfortable snapping in the RV? I feel like it's abusing the plane and I'm afraid something might break if it's done too often. How about snaps on the down-line (like right after a hammer when airspeed is low)?

Hi Brian,

Everything you wrote above is absolutely correct. It takes considerably more push than pull to do a good roller which I never quite got. I also used all of the rudder I could get. Like you, I initially didn’t feel comfortable pushing that hard on the stick. I would cheat as well trying to get the majority of the turn done while pulling. Sometimes I would get 50-60 degrees of turn while positive only to get another 20 degrees while negative.

I finally started getting better at them by practicing inverted 45 and 60 bank level turns to the cardinal headings. Once I got comfortable with the 60 bank level inverted turn, my rollers began to improve. They weren’t great by any stretch, but they were improving.

Also, part of my discomfort was that I hadn’t yet installed a dual ratcheting seatbelt. I was in the process of doing so, but then I too felt like I was abusing my airplane practicing for Intermediate. I developed a few loose rivets, a fuel tank leak, and a couple of significant canopy issues. I know that Ron and Bill have been successful competing in Intermediate with their RVs, but I decided to back off in mine. Besides I’m interested in going further in competition aerobatics and I might as well get the right equipment. I’m still shopping for an Extra and more importantly an Extra partner!

I feel that having competed in my RV has been a blessing. It’s made me realize how much I enjoy competition aerobatics and how much I miss it. I can’t wait to get back in the game. I enjoy everything about it: the precise flying (knowing that I can put the airplane in any attitude within a couple of degrees at the perfect energy state is very powerful), having a reason to fly every day (always need to practice), the training camps and get togethers, the traveling, and of course the people.

Keep on having fun Brian. You’ve got the right attitude!

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments Jerry and Ron. Although I very much enjoy aerobatics, I still consider the RV my "primary" plane and when I had the Laser (or whatever acro mount I may end up with in the future), will always be just the "optional" plane. But I don't have to preach to you guys what a great all-around plane the RV is - you know that. Haha. Well, I guess if money were no object, an Sbach or Extra could do very well replace my RV. ;)

Jerry, too bad you're not closer to me, otherwise I'd love to be a partner with you in something. Extras are too expensive for me though. I was thinking maybe an Eagle would be good. Or if I had $200k to spend on a plane, I would buy this beauty tomorrow! Just dreaming out loud. :D

https://barnstormers.com/classified-1541726-Giles-202.html?catid=15867

Hi Brian,

Everything you wrote above is absolutely correct. It takes considerably more push than pull to do a good roller which I never quite got. I also used all of the rudder I could get. Like you, I initially didn?t feel comfortable pushing that hard on the stick. I would cheat as well trying to get the majority of the turn done while pulling. Sometimes I would get 50-60 degrees of turn while positive only to get another 20 degrees while negative.

I finally started getting better at them by practicing 45 and 60 bank level turns to the cardinal headings. Once I got comfortable with the 60 bank level inverted turn, my rollers began to improve. They weren?t great by any stretch, but they were improving.

Also, part of my discomfort was that I hadn?t yet installed a dual ratcheting seatbelt. I was in the process of doing so, but then I too felt like I was abusing my airplane practicing for Intermediate. I developed a few loose rivets, a fuel tank leak, and a couple of significant canopy issues. I know that Ron and Bill have been successful competing in Intermediate with their RVs, but I decided to back off in mine. Besides I?m interested in going further in competition aerobatics and I might as well get the right equipment. I?m still shopping for an Extra and more importantly an Extra partner!

I feel that having competed in my RV has been a blessing. It?s made me realize how much I enjoy competition aerobatics and how much I miss it. I can?t wait to get back in the game. I enjoy everything about it: the precise flying (knowing that I can put the airplane in any attitude within a couple of degrees at the perfect energy state is very powerful), having a reason to fly every day (always need to practice), the training camps and get togethers, the traveling, and of course the people.

Keep on having fun Brian. You?ve got the right attitude!

We aerobatic competition types call these "rollers". Flying a circular path over the ground and placing one to four, equally spaced continuous rolls, on that circular line. This if done to perfection requires no hesitations in rate of turn over the ground or rate of roll. If it is a 4 roll 360 degree roller each half roll should complete every 45 degrees around the circle, and finally all competition rolls are slow rolls,no barrel what so ever.

These are seen in intermediate (not very often), advanced and unlimited competition categories. They are called "the black hole of point deduction" because there are so many places to make mistakes. A by the book well judged roller is hard to get a score of 7 out of 10.

To perform a roller to competition standards a inverted fuel and oil system is a must.

Snap rolls in the RV

Hi Brian I too would be uncomfortable snapping the RV so I do not . I suspect the structure is not up to it . I think I did see the highly modified RV4 with the big ailerons with tail braces but memory is old Ron may know

It it is a 4 roll 360 degree roller each half roll should complete every 45 degrees around the circle.

Yep, half roll per 45 degrees of turn is one flavor. The other two flavors they come in are 60 degrees of turn per half roll, and 90 degrees of turn per half roll...all done both to the inside and outside beyond Intermediate. The matrix of possible combinations of snaps and rollers that you must do with competence really hits you hard in the upper categories.

Extras are too expensive for me though. I was thinking maybe an Eagle would be good. Or if I had $200k to spend on a plane, I would buy this beauty tomorrow! Just dreaming out loud. :D

It's hard to beat a Pitts S-1 series aircraft for an economic way into Intermediate and Advanced competition. Not sure you could beat the performance for the $$$.

Although from personal experience, Advanced is hard even on a Pitts. Problems with nails backing out, broken or loose parts inside the wing, broken longerons, and a broken crankshaft were just some of the issues on a Pitts I partnered in (that one was an S-2B flown by all the partners in Advanced).

Personally, I would not snap an RV. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it will take a toll on the airframe. There are a number of airplanes (the Decathlon comes to mind) where it's an approved maneuver, but causes issues with fuel tank leaks and whatnot. It's all a question of how hard to want to fly your airframe.

Intermediate compulsory sequences only contain a single positive snap roll. Once you get into Advanced, the delta on sequence difficulty rises exponentially. Anyway, the nice thing about an S-1 is it preserves the cash for operating another airplane. Lord knows a Pitts is great for aerobatics.... but not much else. :)

--Ron

Snap rolls in the RV

Hi Brian I too would be uncomfortable snapping the RV so I do not . I suspect the structure is not up to it . I think I did see the highly modified RV4 with the big ailerons with tail braces but memory is old Ron may know

Jerry, too bad you're not closer to me, otherwise I'd love to be a partner with you in something. Extras are too expensive for me though. I was thinking maybe an Eagle would be good. Or if I had $200k to spend on a plane, I would buy this beauty tomorrow! Just dreaming out loud. :D

For a few pennies more you could have this brute!

https://www.barnstormers.com/cat_se...email=&my_cats__name=&price__gte=&price__lte=

Here's the article you are referring to:

Thanks for your comments Jerry and Ron. Although I very much enjoy aerobatics, I still consider the RV my "primary" plane and when I had the Laser (or whatever acro mount I may end up with in the future), will always be just the "optional" plane. But I don't have to preach to you guys what a great all-around plane the RV is - you know that. Haha. Well, I guess if money were no object, an Sbach or Extra could do very well replace my RV. ;)

I know, it would be great if could partner. The airplanes I?ve been looking are late 90?s - mid-2000?s Extra 300L. They?ve been in the $200-250K range making it much more affordable as a partnership.. After much deliberation, I thought it might be easier to get the airplane first and then look for a partner. Almost bought one in January, but in the end I couldn?t bite the bullet. Glad I didn?t considering the current economic situation!

I know the airplane above and it?s owner; both very nice. He?s been doing very well in Advanced with it. But just like me, he wants to move into a 6 cylinder. He?s looking at the MX or MX2, which is basically an improved Giles with 6 jugs. I got a ride in an MX2 once and it is truly incredible.

The Velox Ron pointed out above looks to be a remarkable airplane and very well built. There aren?t very many flying. I would like to hold out for something more tried and true. However, any airplane purchase is currently on hold until we see what the future holds.

We aerobatic competition types call these "rollers". Flying a circular path over the ground and placing one to four, equally spaced continuous rolls, on that circular line. This if done to perfection requires no hesitations in rate of turn over the ground or rate of roll. If it is a 4 roll 360 degree roller each half roll should complete every 45 degrees around the circle, and finally all competition rolls are slow rolls,no barrel what so ever.

These are seen in intermediate (not very often), advanced and unlimited competition categories. They are called "the black hole of point deduction" because there are so many places to make mistakes. A by the book well judged roller is hard to get a score of 7 out of 10.

To perform a roller to competition standards a inverted fuel and oil system is a must.

Let?s see...

Two variations in roll rate, -2 pts
A couple of variations in turn rate, -2 pts
A lengthy pause between roll reversals, -1 pt
A 100? altitude loss, -1 pt

The average guy just got a 4 out of 10, unless there was an inadvertent... snap roll! Now it?s an HZ (Hard Zero).:eek:

Too many cool airplanes... not enough money. LOL.

It'd be nice to have a flying club with different types of aircraft and share costs.

Ron Rapp, totally agree on the affordability and bang for the buck of an S1. Ron Schreck, thanks for that RV article.

Last edited:
I would recommend skipping snaps in a Decathlon with the old wooden wing, with the newer wing it is fine. We had to buy new wings after the nails backed out to many times... :rolleyes:

I flew a Super D with the metal wings for two seasons of IAC competition and even it had issues along the ribs ? and that was without doing any snaps in it. It?s surprisingly easy to over-G that airplane. It doesn?t just stall if you pull a bit too hard the way the S2 or EA300 would.

To be fair, that Super D was also used for a LOT of aerobatic training. Still, I would recommend snaps in it. A bunch of years ago, Dave Watson wrote a good article in Sport Aerobatics about why that model should not be snapped. Of course, I then saw him fly an Intermediate (or maybe it was Advanced) sequence in his own Super Decathlon after losing the canopy off his Yak at Paso Robles, so....

?Ron

I flew a Super D with the metal wings for two seasons of IAC competition and even it had issues along the ribs — and that was without doing any snaps in it. It’s surprisingly easy to over-G that airplane. It doesn’t just stall if you pull a bit too hard the way the S2 or EA300 would.

To be fair, that Super D was also used for a LOT of aerobatic training. Still, I would recommend snaps in it. A bunch of years ago, Dave Watson wrote a good article in Sport Aerobatics about why that model should not be snapped. Of course, I then saw him fly an Intermediate (or maybe it was Advanced) sequence in his own Super Decathlon after losing the canopy off his Yak at Paso Robles, so....

—Ron

Yep, many a metal-wing Super D has experienced fuel leaks due to fuel sloshing from snaps, which cracked the tank/baffles over time. The tank design was updated at some point on late models, but I'd still be conservative snapping them, limit fuel quantity, and avoid too many of them.

Wow, I am amazed at your flying skill. I am too chicken to roll my aircraft. I did do spins but that was just for the testing phase.
Great control Brian...

I've snapped my -4 both level and at the top of loops for an avalanche.

Here's a video of my first -4 acro flight a couple of years ago. No inverted systems and a little rusty.
https://youtu.be/bYtCxTVg8qM first snap at 1:05

Eagle-eyed folks may notice a little fuel leaking past the o-ring on the gas cap. It was replaced after that flight.

Done within the recommended speeds, it isn't that hard on the airplane. I don't personally do it often but it is good know how to do anything the airplane is capable of.

The thing about a -4 is it may not be a great plane to learn snaps in. If you get the speeds a little wrong it wouldn't be hard to put a lot of load on the airframe.

Back