What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loctite 564

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
It’s called out in the lycoming oil screen plug specs for plug reinstallation. Hard to come by. What is an acceptable and easier to find substitute.

Which oil screen plug are you referring to? The oil supply screen in the sump that comes out of the back of the sump on the right side has a copper crush washer, and is safety-wired.

It?s called out in the lycoming oil screen plug specs for plug reinstallation. Hard to come by. What is an acceptable and easier to find substitute.

It is a low strength thread sealant.

1-444-28754-500x500.gif

NAPA is the cheapest place to get the the real thing. Any pipe sealant will work.

I ordered from NAPA and the local store says "yeah, we can't get it for you". So that seems to not work....

It looks like the little tube will cost $30-35 or so including shipping to get delivered.

And yes, there is a copper crush gasket and lockwire on this; I think it acts as a threadlocker in this application (a couple drops). There was def a low strength thread locker on there when I took it off yesterday (first time).

I'm wondering if there is something a lot like it, more readily available.

This looks very similar:
https://www.grainger.com/product/PERMATEX-50mL-Tube-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-2GXX5

Last edited:
umm, Lycoming SB 480F calls for Loctite 564 or equivalent on the oil drain plugs, not the suction screen.

what?s an equivalent to 564 ?

I bet any dedicated thread sealant would be fine. I've use 567 on thousands of NPT fittings over the last 20+ years with no issues. As that chart in the post above shows, 567 is the higher temp version of the general purpose 564 with the same agency approvals.

Last edited:
Talked with a Lycoming field rep a couple of weeks ago. Loctite 564 is still the recommended sealant for steel NPT fittings on Lycomings, like oil galley plugs and the steel governor fitting.

It is hard to get locally but I ordered a batch from these guys:
https://www.simsupply.com/
UPS lost it on the way to my door, so Sim sent me another.

564 is listed as a general purpose thread sealant so probably any good thread sealant would work. If you're working with a certified Lycoming installation, its best to stick with what Lycoming calls for. Lots of angst in the past for deviations.

Dave A

Back