What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Sport EX: Any PIREPS?

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anybody has a PIREP on the new GRT Sport EX EFIS? This device is making me look long and hard at the open space in front of the copilot in our airplane...

Not quite yet...

Just wondering if anybody has a PIREP on the new GRT Sport EX EFIS? This device is making me look long and hard at the open space in front of the copilot in our airplane...

Installed and working on programming. So far, it's impressive.
GRT is not tops on documentation but I'm getting there.

Thanks for the reply, Mel. Which options did you go for, if any?

I'm curious to know what you think of the display brightness and resolution. I've got an HX and a Mini-X and the Mini is far brighter than the HX and offers a much more crisp image. I'm hoping the Sport EX has glass much like that of the Mini.

I went with the OshKosh special VFR package. Internal AHRS, Internal GPS, Synthetic Vision, Moving Map, ADS-B Displays, Bluetooth Interface, Digital Magnetometer with orientation sensing, OAT, ADS-B 2020 compliant GPS, and wiring harness. 2020 compliant GPS not yet shipped.
All this with Veteran discount for under $2600.
Screen brightness seems great. I haven't flown yet but the display is much brighter than my D10A. I was very impressed when I first turned it on. The GPS found itself almost immediately inside the hangar with the door closed.
I don't do pictures on the website but if you will give me your email, I'll send pictures.

Last edited:
Does GRT routinely give a discount to veterans? I never thought to ask.
I've never wished for my HX to be brighter. That mini must be really bright!

Recently Completed install of Sport EX and MiniX

My option selection was similar to Mel's, with the addition of an OAT and backup battery in the Mini. Both units are connected to the magnetometer and OAT. Screen resolution and brightness appears identical. I have a serial connection between the units, so things like brightness and altimeter setting need only be entered on one unit. If the Sport goes down for any reason, the Mini will then operate completely independently.
I've mounted the Sport as close as possible to the center of my vision, with the Mini to the left. By so doing, I can use the entire screen of both units without having to duplex or triplex either. I fly instruments quite often, and my plan (so far) is to use the Sport in PFD configuration thru takeoff and up to cruise, with the Mini in map mode. Roles will be reversed once in cruise.
By choosing to use GRT for both screens, I've got only one set of "buttonology" to learn, and by using both units at all times, I don't have to carve up my primary- I've effectively got a much larger primary screen, taking up much less real estate.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Yes they do!

Does GRT routinely give a discount to veterans? I never thought to ask.
I've never wished for my HX to be brighter. That mini must be really bright!
It's only 5%, but every little bit counts.

I just upgraded our old WS to the Horizon EX. The resolution and brightness are definitely an improvement. The Horizon EX has all of the features of the WS plus synthetic vision and built in GPS. I was able to use all of the wiring and AHRS from the WS and it was almost a plug-n-play swap. Another nice feature I gained was the ability to show engine instruments along the bottom of the PFD page.

The only two gotchas we ran into were:
1. GRT's website states that it is a drop in replacement for the WS. That is almost true, but the one catch is that the mounting screws are not in the same place, so we had to move our mounting holes and nut plates. It wasn't that big of a deal, but a little aggravating if you're expecting to go out to the airport and swap them out real quick.

2. The second gotcha doesn't apply to everyone, but it did to us. Because we have an older transponder (GTX320A), we require a grey code adapter to get our EFIS to properly talk to the transponder. As it is right now, we can not squawk mode C. Fortunately, GRT's support guys are AWESOME and are currently in the process of building me one. Hopefully there won't be any issues installing it and getting it to work.

Here are some photos of the old and new. Caution, the pictures don't do the new system justice. The new resolution and brightness are definitely better, and western Tennessee is pretty flat, so the synthetic vision isn't quite as impressive as what you see on the GRT website.

Overall, I am happy with the upgrade and extremely happy with the service and support I've received from GRT.

Old Horizon WS System:

New Horizon EX System:

New Horizon EX Map Page:

Last edited:
Back