What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KIAO GSM Switch for Preheaters needs update

wawrzynskivp

Well Known Member
My reliable KIAO phone activated relay is no longer reachable by call service. Manufacturer says the 3G side of its 4G processor needs an updated chip as 3G gets phased out.

Symptom is that phone can't initiate ring to device and you immediately get a voicemailbox message.

Manufacturer wrote that they hope to test new chip next week. I don't know when a user fix will be available. Apparently messaging the device is still an option but that is slightly more expensive.

My unit was limited to 3G as well and I was getting warning emails that as of early July, SpeedTalkMobile the service I was using, is going to discontinue it. I just upgraded my hardware to the one below and use the same SIM card. Download the instructions for programming it online. Has 2 different relays even though I only need one. So far, so good.

52163597936_e528693b95_w.jpg
[/url]IMG_1289 by Brent Connelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

52163604026_76fe0faa97_w.jpg
[/url]Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 3.53.06 PM by Brent Connelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

I replaced my cell switch when 4g was implemented making my 3g switch useless. I did as PilotBrent did and purchased the 4g version of the same switch, mine is the same as he shows. It made swapping easy and everything is back to as before.

Back