What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Join the 200Kt club

Since we're not doing RV's, I call and raise you 300 kts :D

13 knot tailwind got me over 1000.

2009ukl.jpg

tragic how terrible those avionics are you guys fly with

I went out to play with the wind today.
On the ground -10˚C wind 280/10

DSC04017a.jpg

I climbed to 11500',the OAT was -22˚C the air was smooth and I found nice winds to play with.
On this picture I am actually flying backward or sideways at 7 knots. The aircraft was actually heading 330˚ and tracking 176˚!

DSC04022a.jpg

With the wind on my back this is what I got with WOT.

DSC04025a.jpg

Total performance and fun!

Last edited:
The need for speed

Salut Denis

It ain't an A-330 but it sure give us a lot of fun aren't they???

It looks really nice with the paint job, much better than the last time I saw it in your basement...many moons ago..;-)

Have a look at this site....You too Mousse

http://www.aeroclubmirabel.org/

You're more than welcome to join the gang..

Salut

Bruno
[email protected]

Last edited:
Guess you need pictures to prove it?:-(
I got 278 knots at 9500feet with a 95 knot tailwind(YES Straigh and level Mutha!:)) a few weeks ago.
Nordo
Fastest Rv around!:)

Allright Michel, a 180HP RV6 is a tough opponent for a RV9;)
Will you be based in Lachute?
Bruno, the only time I go backward 7 kts on the A330 is during the pushback:)
Bye

No camera available but my RV10 cruised at 6500 feet, mp2200, rpm 2400, fuel flow 15gph between Stephenville KSEP and Boerne Stage 5C1 most of the trip at 200-205 knots GS. Nice little quartering tail wind.

Leaving SRR this morning with a 60 knot push and my strongest turbulence experience ever. The Trio Pro Pilot held fast! A learning experience.

BTW I know someone who demonstrated this weekend that an unsnapped fuel cap will hold for about 200' of takeoff roll before bailing out, and then fuel dramatically starts to demonstrate how low pressure air moves over a wing's upper surface. :eek:

flytoday

f5ceeb2f6e43fff7bea61bb92a494b44_zps029d999e.jpg

BTW I know someone who demonstrated this weekend that an unsnapped fuel cap will hold for about 200' of takeoff roll before bailing out, and then fuel dramatically starts to demonstrate how low pressure air moves over a wing's upper surface.

Ouch, that's one way to drive up the hourly operating cost. :(

Haven't been able to fly a "REAL" airplane for a couple months! Not a great weather day, but a good day to make a FAST run....

E5902B67-0D3D-4F4A-A50E-36271211E482-5894-00000523858860F0_zps8231cefa.jpg

My fav!

We snowboard at Ski Apache almost every year and it has been my goal to fly my -8 into KSRR!! Looking forward to checking that one off the list! :)

Leaving SRR this morning with a 60 knot push and my strongest turbulence experience ever. The Trio Pro Pilot held fast! A learning experience.

BTW I know someone who demonstrated this weekend that an unsnapped fuel cap will hold for about 200' of takeoff roll before bailing out, and then fuel dramatically starts to demonstrate how low pressure air moves over a wing's upper surface. :eek:

flytoday

Leaving SRR this morning with a 60 knot push and my strongest turbulence experience ever...

That's who that was. I heard you call Roswell Approach while they were working all those T-34Cs. That's right around when I turned south from Roswell because it was getting too unpleasant for low level pleasure flying. You sounded very comfortable though.

I wish. I might have to come visit again next year. Too much going on this summer for long RV trips. I might be able to swing a two day trip to Osh, but no more.

over 200 knots

I have flown over Mount Rose in the sierra,s in a mountain wave and seen 000 ground speed. I stayed pirched on the top of mount Rose like a hood ornament on a car.:rolleyes:

Not my fastest, but fastest I have on camera

v6ngp4.jpg

My personal best is 238kts, but this is the fastest I have proof of.

Nice sectional shot, Vlad! I grew up in Hershey, just west of KMUI. Haven't been up north since becoming an RV owner, but plan on flying up to visit family one of these days. Will sure beat the 10-12 hour drive. Especially if I can get some good winds like yours!

Playing around with some post-mod testing, and doing a 55%(ish) LOP cruise test. Slightly LOP at 10.5K I saw this TAS, and thought, hey, that can be my "club" entry. As shown on my "20th century EFIS" (which I still dig...but have SV envy!) ;):

IMG_0573_2.jpg

Kinda loafing along, per another oldie but goodie screen! :D

IMG_0574_2.jpg

Gotta Love RVs!!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
200 KTS CLUB

Ok this is pretty wimpy but its the first time I hit 200 KTS going North and South. West to East is easier. You'll have to take my word for straight and level. :D

Sure made my trip from Cleveland to Parris Island quicker. ( I normally cruise 160-175 KTS if I'm in a hurry)

rm6ys2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 235 K Ground Speed over Lake Michigan once and wish I had a photo of that. I do occasional get a good tailwind.

The ground speed was great going east. Not so much going west earlier in the day. Even at 5500 the wind was 35 knots on the nose.
The displays are great also. The operator is however not so great with the displays. Learning curve is however coming along nicely. I see improvements on each flight from the pilot side of the house. I sometimes wonder how well a stripped down simple efis with only the most desired features using a great display would sell. The Big thing with the 4500 and I suspect most modern EFIS's is getting them dialed in and tailored to the owner by deslecting as many menu options as you find yourself not using.
One area I should mention since this is a new panal. Support from AFS and TruTrak has been simply outstanding. Never had this kind of customer support with any other product!!!!!!!

George

I sometimes wonder how well a stripped down simple efis with only the most desired features using a great display would sell.

Maybe if it would display 6 round instruments each showing a single function:). . . . . . But that's a different thread.

I too did over 200 kts ground speed yesterday but can not get a single picture of the gps and the 6 round gauges to prove it.

Last edited:
Six pack

Your AFS EFIS will display a digital 6 pack.
SixPack_zpsb579d8a9.png

I used it for my first few flights before I got used to the PFD. Pretty slick, nice to offer to guest pilots if they haven't flown a glass panel.

Last edited:
Had a good push in the stool today!

image_032.jpg

Came back from KBID this morning and saw this on the instruments!

These planes are awesome!

:cool: CJ

Brian,

You must have seen quite a dramatic improvement in performance when you swapped blades!

The -6 i fly has a Sterba wooden screw. For what it is, it is truly REMARKABLE!

My -7 with a Hartzell, FI and EI should be something to behold!

I am sooooo ready to fly the -7. It will be 10 years in the making quite soon!

:D. CJ

Brian,

You must have seen quite a dramatic improvement in performance when you swapped blades!

The -6 i fly has a Sterba wooden screw. For what it is, it is truly REMARKABLE!

My -7 with a Hartzell, FI and EI should be something to behold!

I am sooooo ready to fly the -7. It will be 10 years in the making quite soon!

:D. CJ

Yes, no real top end flat out speed gains but everything else it does it does very well! I could never go back now in this kind of airplane....

OK this was from back in April on my long journey East.
Up at 15000' to avoid turbulence and dust over the New Mexico desert.
89 knots of tail wind, 240 knots GS on 5.7 galls/hr.
e70cb1a640bc6b47e5178b6d7880762d_zpscd547885.jpg

Back