What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

spins in an older RV-6A

freegespeed

I have heard, but not definitively, that spins are not a good idea in an RV6A built before the era of the the larger vertical stabilizer and rudder. Does anyone have any helpful information about this subject? Thanks.

spins in RV-6

This is on Van's site.

http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb02-6-1.pdf

Have you read it? What is most interesting is that the -7 with the bent trailing edge rudder seemed worse than the -6. This is why Van offered -7 builders the RV-9's bigger (and double flush riveted trailing edge) rudder.

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the response. Thats a surprise about the RV7 being less spin worthy then the RV6. I will probably just do insipient spin recoveries as a matter of practice, rather then full blown spins.

Spins in older RV-6

Hi there,

It has to be said first that I am no expert on spins and that, if given the choice, I try and avoid them......also, I have not spun an RV-6A, only the RV-6..... if you accept this caveat, here is my experience:

On each of the RV-6's that I have been involved with (4) we have carried out spins as part of the Phase 1 test program. We have found that when spins are carried out within the recommended aerobatic weight and C of G, the RV-6 is a bit like the Cessna 152 in that it needs to be induced into the spin with a bit of heavy rudder off the top of a stall, however unlike the Cessna 152 the spin is not sedate. You will find that it will take about 2 to 3 turns to properly develop and with the application of normal recovery technique it will take you about 1 to 1.5 turns to recover once action has been taken.

We have found that spins with a full aft C of G can be a bit eye-opener and from my observation (on the ground!) I would suggest that this be avoided. Once in the spin you could find that it will take a while to recover and I am told that you need to ensure that the joystick is held FULL FORWARD because recovery will not occur if the stick is even slightly back off the forward stop. You will also need to have at least 6000' of airspace below you, and a clean rag to get all the oil off the belly once you land.

I am also told that recovery from inverted spins is as you would expect but I have to admit that I have not personally tried this and publically admit that the pilot who has claimed to have done this has bigger balls than I do!

As I carry out recreational aerobatics in the RV-6 that I fly, my instructor makes me demonstrate spins during my BFR. With two up and trying not to bust the aerobatic weight limit I can tell you that once settled in the spin, stick central and then smooth application of forward stick will see you flying again quickly. I feel that for me, currency is the biggest problem and if I don't do them regularly then I'd rather avoid going there. Once I've done a few it's not so bad, however I still avoid them where I can!

My suggestion to anyone that is wanting to go out and do spins would be to get instruction and get current. Don't be afraid of them but do keep your wits about you.

Regards,

Mike
RV-6
Remainder to do.

Thanks again

I'm the guy who started this thread, so once again thanks for the concise response to my question.

I havn't done any spins since my primary training so I have a healthy fear of them. From what I'm reading spinning seems like a skill that needs to be practiced frequently, and should be initially supervised by a very special kind of instructor, one who is both confortable in RV's, and aerobatics.

I recently did my first aileron rolls, what a blast! I have plans for an unsual attitudes course sometime this spring.

Back