What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back in the air after COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So I tested positive for COVID yesterday. Was sick for three days, but not as bad as a bad flu. Still not well but feeling lots better on day four. I had the Pfizer vaccine, and that undoubtedly kept me out of the hospital. While it's disappointing that the vaccine didn't keep me from getting COVID, complete protection was never a guarantee, only a reasonable expectation. I'll talk to the doctor tomorrow about protocols going forward for the protection of those around me as well as my own.

Given that COVID can have all kinds of off the wall symptoms, here's my strategy for getting back in the air, similar to what I did after spinal fusion surgery with its nine month layoff:
* Don't even think about flying until my driving skills are really sharp.
* First flight back will be a no holds barred flight review. My CFI buddies know how good I used to be, but that was then and this is now
* COVID can have long term neurological effects. I'll ask the doc about those and be alert for them over the next year.
* Will use the pulse oximeter on flights over 5,000 feet in case my physiology wants to play tricks on me.

Please, let's avoid thread drift into vaccine politics and war stories.

[ed. Glad you're feeling better Ed. I locked it - it went to politics fast. Too radioactive to leave unlocked. Again, glad you're better. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Given vaccination and quick recovery so far, very unlikely you'll have any significant long-term issues. Good plan nonetheless.

Covid

COVID messed up my concentration and general thinking ability. Weirdest thing every. Had it 8 days with high temp, cramps, major hip pain, and so on. Day 8 I gave up and got the monoclonal antibody infusion and COVID was gone the next day. That treatment saved my life. Nevertheless, one month later, I won’t fly the Aerostar. Mind just isn’t right. Doc said it could take a while to get my wires fixed. Got my sense of taste back last week, but no sense of smell yet. Got my sense of feeling back without all the pin and needles. Glad to be breathing and living and upright. Sold the Aerostar and bought another M4 Maule project. I wanted a RV-15 but who knows when that will be available. I need a project now and see if the restoration activity will help my brain recover. COVID sucks. Monoclonal Antibiotic infusion saved my life. Don’t get me started on how I had to beg to get it and had to drive 100 miles from my house.

I hope you continue to recover. That’s always good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back