What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dealing with the anxiety of the flight test phase?

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
I am 6 hours into my flight test phase and am definitely struggling with the anxiety of everything that could go wrong.

For background - I have been flying for 25 years, have a little over 500 hours in Cessnas and have an instrument rating (though not current).

So far nothing really scary has happened with possible exception of finding a small engine compartment fuel leak AFTER a recent flight test.

Yesterday I flew for about an hour - at 5000 feet agl, right over top of my airport. Yet even with the altitude and proximity to home, my anxiety level continued to grow the longer I was up.

I did distract myself by doing the CAS tests but as soon as they were done I did a "how am I doing check?". I decided that my anxiety level was reaching my limit.

I wanted to stay up longer to get the 40 hours down, and the weather was beautiful, but I had just reached my stress limit. So, i reduced power and managed a decent landing.

I don't think I ever really considered how the flight test phase would affect me. I was so busy building and besides, not many people talk about this subject.

I presume the more I fly the easier this will get, but that doesn't really help me right now.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for dealing with the anxiety of flight testing?

TIA
Gary

A few suggestions, from somebody only a few months out of phase 1 (and still doing plenty of learning).

Step back, find a trusted set of eyes and have him go over your plane, again. Even if he finds nothing (and there's always something), it's more reassurance.

Secondly, as soon as you feel comfortable, start easing your way into simulated engine outs. I started pulling the power earlier and earlier in the pattern until I was comfortable with a idle-power approach from pattern entry. When you get comfortable in "gliding" mode you realize how many options you usually have should there be a problem.

Lastly, mentally rehearse your response to the biggest problems, like engine out on takeoff. Know your plan for each runway, and be committed to it so you don't have to worry about "what would I do".

If you need to take a step back, maybe find another RVer to take you up and do some no-stress RV flying.

Have fun!

Chris

Your call.

It is normal to be apprehensive when doing things that are new to you and everyone takes it in their own way. I really don't have much for you other than just take it slow and easy. You don't have to do phase one in 5 days and there is no harm in flying shorter time spans, then stop and take every thing apart, check it all and get comfortable with it all again, then set down and make another test card and go do that one for a half hour or so. I would never tell someone to go outside their comfort zone, but give it some time in between each hope and think it through tell you are comfortable again. It is your call and I think we all would rather see you safe and sound. Hope this helps, yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Puncker factor

The designer of the first plane I built said that if you are not puckered up at both ends you don't fully appreciate what you are doing. I have test flown a half a dozen planes and that always makes me apprehensive. I think that is good. But as I aged I found that I had less of that "what the &?$ it is only a test flight nothing is going to go wrong" and more of the "there are so many things that could go wrong because I have seen so many friends die flying experimental aircraft"

Balance is the key here. Take a serious approach to this type of flying but don't let fear rule you. Either you will learn to control your fear or your fear will control you. As was suggested you may need to take advantage of the second pilot program. This is a hobby after all. It should be enjoyable or you won't be doing it for long.

I wish I could say I have totally conquered my fears but I think a little fear is a good thing.

Gary Specketer

Find an expert

Do you have someone like Walt Aronow or Jesse Saint out there in California? If I was worried about "what ifs" and had a real RV expert near I think I would have them look the plane over and fly it for an hour or two for me, then talk about squawks and potential issues.

It's good to listen to that voice in the back of your mind until you're satisfied everything is OK. Some things don't show up until you have a few hours on the plane, so, keep checking the systems between flights. John

Priorities

RV's display excellent flying qualities throughout the flight envelope. Even if you get behind the airplane, it probably will not bite you. Having said that, I did a very extensive "What if?" drill before Phase 1 - even though - or perhaps because - I had over 7500 hours and test pilot experience and developed my own emergency procedures checklist.

Came down to four prioritized concerns:
1) Engine Failure - takeoff, cruise, landing pattern. What EXACTLY was I going to do and in what sequence (in all cases, the first item was to ensure controllability). What were glide / slow flight handling characteristics?
2) Stall / Spin - did slow flight on flights one and 2 and stalled it on flight 3, including approach turn stalls after wings level stalls. Wanted to really know what the APPROACH to stall felt like. Didn't spin it until much later.
3) CG Awareness - used ballast to incrementally change CG.
4) Fuel Management - wanted to ensure I always knew how much gas was remaining - and where it was.

Incrementally MASTER the Phase 1 flight envelope without trying to do it all at once. Your anxiety level will decrease.

Do you have someone like Walt Aronow or Jesse Saint out there in California? If I was worried about "what ifs" and had a real RV expert near I think I would have them look the plane over and fly it for an hour or two for me, then talk about squawks and potential issues.

It's good to listen to that voice in the back of your mind until you're satisfied everything is OK. Some things don't show up until you have a few hours on the plane, so, keep checking the systems between flights. John

The one thing going for me is that I have had a number of experienced builders, and an A&P, reviewing my work and plane on an ongoing basis. I have been very lucky in that respect

Last edited:
A few suggestions, from somebody only a few months out of phase 1 (and still doing plenty of learning).

Step back, find a trusted set of eyes and have him go over your plane, again. Even if he finds nothing (and there's always something), it's more reassurance.

Secondly, as soon as you feel comfortable, start easing your way into simulated engine outs. I started pulling the power earlier and earlier in the pattern until I was comfortable with a idle-power approach from pattern entry. When you get comfortable in "gliding" mode you realize how many options you usually have should there be a problem.

Lastly, mentally rehearse your response to the biggest problems, like engine out on takeoff. Know your plan for each runway, and be committed to it so you don't have to worry about "what would I do".

If you need to take a step back, maybe find another RVer to take you up and do some no-stress RV flying.

Have fun!

Chris

I think getting comfortable with gliding and landing power off would really help. When I flew Cessnas I knew I could set that plane down power off where I wanted it. Slow flight and stalls are next on my flight test program and this ought to help somewhat.

As Gary said, "a little fear is a good thing". It's evidence of our realization that this is serious business.

A few thoughts.

Prior to flight, I always ask myself "what's the worst things that could happen?" Then plan for those. For me it was fire and engine failure. For everything else, there's always MasterCard :D and you will deal with them as they come up, or ignore until back on the ground.

Hone your landing skills. Get comfortable with stalls (at altitude) and slow flight.

A thorough preflight and good maintenance will eventually bring more confidence (that things will not go terribly wrong). The idea is to rule out questions (about the status of things) in your mind. ie, There are not likely any leaks, loose bolt/fittings, missing fuel caps etc etc because I just checked them. Check fuel AND oil prior to each flight.

Do a little reading about the effects of (mental) stress and how to manage it. In some ways, stress is like physical exercise. It is tiring but we can improve our conditioning (mental stamina) through "exercise". But it will always be tiring. Noise, altitude, workload, physical and mental activity are all contributors.

Stay hydrated and well rested. Go at your own pace, not anyone else's.

My thoughts only. YMMV

Bevan

Last edited:
I've read Lord Nelson had real problems with sea sickness. He was still the greatest admiral ever. I don't know you but I'm pretty sure you will prevail if you're getting that kind of help. John

I look at my First SOLO and that feeling of the old 70s something 172 rattling down the runway at Page in ft myers and saying WTH am I doing... then my training and skills took over and all went well, I am sure Gary the same will be with you, you just accomplished one **** of a project and you have every right to feel the way you do...

Trust the training..

Mike BTW great write up... I am so looking forward to the day..
I think!!

Keep you head fully in the game at every moment and there is little left over for anxiety. It just gets converted into execution of the mission. Know thyself and keep executing.

We've been flying our project for almost 10yrs now. I still don't "trust" it. Tanya would tell you that my pucker factor remained for about the first 350hrs. You'll build some sort of relationship with the machine and learn to listen carefully to it.

Based on what I have seen in other so-called "airworthy" airplanes, I have come to realize that poor condition does not necessarily mean the airplane will fall out of the sky on the very next flight. :eek: If that's of any help. :D

Bevan

Mostly, just keep flying. It sounds like you're doing it right and have a healthy respect for the fact that you're now (and in a sense always will be) a test pilot. It's completely normal.

You may experience many of these same feelings and thoughts the first time you "really" leave the home airport, the first time you carry a passenger, the first time you go on a real cross-country flight in your RV....

A friend, who had built an RV7A years before I finished my 9A, once mentioned that he didn't start to truly feel at one with his plane until about the 200 hour mark. It seemed that way for me as well. The good news is, 200 hours goes by FAST!

Fly safe, Gary, and congratulations!!!

edit: If you find yourself truly distracted by the "what-if's" to the point you're honestly uncomfortable or feel unsafe, there is no shame in finding/hiring a professional test pilot to fly off some of those hours.

Last edited:
Your anxiety is at least some part vigilance. Just don't fly too close to the Sun.
I've got 350 hours on mine and I still occasionally look down and think "I could fall from here." But my RV and I have developed some trust in each other. Especially when I recall all the ratty old Cessnas etc. I used to fly without thinking about it. So yes I think you will gain more confidence in what you built as time goes by.

Be patient...

Gary,

I remember being at that stage of phase one and thinking, "am I ever going to trust this plane/pilot combination enough to dare carrying a passenger?". Continue being thorough, deliberate, alert, and responsible, eventually the plane will demonstrate it's trustworthiness!

Have you thought about taking advantage of the additional pilot program? Having an experienced pilot right there with you for a few hours may help you overcome your anxiety and help you get through some of the more labor intensive testing where a second set of eyes and hands are almost priceless.

I had those same feelings every flight through phase 1. 10 hours out of phase one I moved, and had to fly my RV half way across the country. It wasn't until after that flight that I felt comfortable in the plane and taking passengers. Maybe you should plan a long cross country to help settle in.

Same thing after I got my private, literally had to force myself to go out and fly without an instructor.

Been there! I think it was my third flight where I had a fouled plug before takeoff. Had to go pull the cowl off and clean the plug. Ended up parking it for the day. Too stressed. I had all sorts of electrical issues that got sorted eventually (bad radio, bad VP-X) by the manufacturers. It made me really question whether or not I did something weird with the build. It seemed like I would never really get a trustworthy airplane that I could just fly without worry. After a 5 month Phase 1, I started getting more comfortable with just the stick and rudder work. I spent a lot of time learning all of the capabilities of the Skyview system, and I'm still not 100% with everything it can do. I still learn something new just about every flight. A trip to Casa Grande, AZ for Copperstate was my first really long cross country. It took me quite a while to figure out how to get my AP flight plan turned around to get me home!

Now I'm approaching 350 hours and feeling much more trust with the aircraft. Multiple oil changes give you some analysis on the health of the engine. The avionics all seem to be working great now. Every now and then something pops up which gets your attention - flat tire, brakes had a tiny leak on one of the pedals, boost pump switch went intermittent, oil temps too cool in winter, oil pressure needed some tweaking, strobes failed, steps cracked, canopy needed some sanding down to open when it is really hot out, alternate air sliding door mounting cracked, chips in the prop, etc., etc...
My point is that every flight has its risks and challenges. That won't change. The anxiety will taper off, but not completely.
My most recent BFR (thanks, Pete!) got me "uncomfortable", and really helped provide me with some experience with unusual attitudes that I wouldn't normally get near that edge of the envelope. This plane is way more capable that I am!

Have you thought about taking advantage of the additional pilot program? Having an experienced pilot right there with you for a few hours may help you overcome your anxiety and help you get through some of the more labor intensive testing where a second set of eyes and hands are almost priceless.

What he said!

Also, have a very specific test card for each flight. I'd think enough to fill maybe 45 minutes to an hour. Be focused on the completion of those tasks but not to the point of tunnel vision. Be fully aware of all your systems. That should keep you busy enough to push your anxiety to the background...but you don't want it to go away all together; keep a healthy concern for what could go wrong.

Mind you, I say this without ever having done any type of test flying except post-maintenance. I haven't even driven a single rivet on a project of my own. I simply speak from a background of 36 years of corporate flying.

Test cards for every flight! Keep them simple and the early flights short and very specific. I found I was so busy completing each task that I didn't have time to have anxiety. Many of the first flights only lasted a handful of minutes followed by hours of recording and calculating, then planning for the next card. I also flew each flight in my mind with my eyes closed until I didn't have to look at the card during the flight (but I did) and practiced systems flights in a powered up cockpit again until it was memorized.

With all that said, at about 10 hours, I took a flight for about a half hour without any porpoise and just about scared the hxxl out of myself realizing everything that could go wrong that I didn't have time to think of previously!

In the end, I had all the usual adjustments and resets that most have mentioned and didn't get that "strap it on" feeling until last year at about 200 hours. I am still cautious with every flight following advice from a friend who said "I love her but I know she will kill me in a second if I let her" Some day you will get that feeling of strapping her on and she will take you wherever you want her to go. That is a good day!

So many amazing responses,!

Thank you so for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. There are so many great suggestions in this thread.

I do use test cards on every flight and try and focus on the program. That does help but when I'm just flying I find I start worrying more.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Gary

We're all with you

I had several issues early on in my testing. A couple fuel problems, cut brake line. This meant several "unplanned" landings and the cut brake line force my buddy (helping me fly the test phase) off the taxiway and into the weeds until he plane could coast to a stop.

I know exactly how you feel. The key is to get the demons out and get some hours behind you and get it solid (both the plane, then you). All well built airplanes reach a phase where they go long periods of no or low issues. Just push through and it will get there. The same plane is a joy now.

good luck and we're all with you.

I had the same feelings and still do sometimes. As stated before, going thru the emergency procedures before every flight helped relax me. Also go up to a safe altitude and determine what your minimum altitude for a turn back to the airport in case of engine out. Pull that throttle to idle and practice the turn at a safe altitude. Before each takeoff, remind yourself of that turn back altitude. It will get better as you build trust in your plane.;)

Another trick or two

After my 15 yr build of my RV-4 including building the engine,while having great confidence, I still knew the first flight and phase 1 would be interesting to say the least. Turns out, there were no surprises and because of the proven and tested VANS design, I didnt worry much about airframe issues. I used a headband mounted G0-Pro camera for several flights to capture all the instrument readings and my general scan process while I focused on flying the plane and learning the sight picture and attitudes...this was really cool to review and document actual readings from, as well as listen to my audio comments. I found that when it was time to leave the airport pattern/area, nothing was more comforting than a fellow wingman flying along to chat with and compare speeds, ect...You will be fine!

Thankful to all here

Thanks to all who responded here. I am building an RV seven and fly Cessnas while building as well. I feel the same anxiety after not flying for a few months. These comments are so helpful in allowing me to accept anxiety as normal and live with them.

Thanks

Go practice in a 172 with an instructor. The Commercial maneuvers (Power off 180 and emergency decent) can give you confidence and the skills to get down quick and make a power off landing. If you get good at these at least you can remove some of the worry. When I practice the emergency decent we do so off the approach end of a small airport, spiral down keeping your distance to the runway a little high then slip and apply flags to touch down on the hash marks. With practice you can get really good at this. If you somehow lose your engine during test flying your RV you will have the skills and confidence to get back on the runway.
Bob

Anxiety

I have almost 350 hours and 6 yrs flying my RV-7A. I only had about 115 hrs total and that was 25 yrs prior to flying my RV-7A. I did transition train and got about 10 hrs in an RV before I flew mine.

My anxiety starts when I am driving to the airport and about 1 mile. Right after opening my hangar I visit the rest room. Similar to when you spook a bird in your yard and it lightens its load while taking off. Don?t know if many go through this but it happens every time I go flying in my RV. My anxiety level even increases when taking up a passenger.

However once I get down to business and do my preflight and get ready to start the engine, my anxiety drops to almost an unnoticeable level. Takeoffs, landings, slow flight, stalls, and higher performance maneuvers my anxiety increases and I am extremely focused on the task. I wouldn?t want it any other way.

I did have an immediate return to the airport incident (turned out to the a loose wing root gap seal slapping against the fuselage and making a racket). My anxiety level during the event wasn?t anywhere near as high as I would have thought. I was focused on the task of getting the plane back on the ground and then figuring out what was wrong.

The RV?s are designed well and the newer RV?s (7,8,9,10,12,14?s) are all match punched so there is very variation in the parts (not like the RV-4 and 6?s where you drilled most of the hole yourself). If you built the plane yourself you know the quality that is in it. If you bought the plane you most likely had it inspected by a knowledgeable person.

The control connections are very robust and can be easily inspected. So unless you over-G or over speed and exceed the operational limits of the design then you will be safe. Engine issues are what concerns me the most. However with proper maintenance and inspection I feel confident in my engine and fuel setup. I always tell my wife that as long as I maintain control during an engine failure we stand the best chance of surviving a landing.

So when your anxiety starts up while flying just remember you are one of the lucky pilots who can reap the rewards and joy of flying an RV.

Slightly different take

I am 6 hours into my flight test phase and am definitely struggling with the anxiety of everything that could go wrong.

For background - I have been flying for 25 years, have a little over 500 hours in Cessnas and have an instrument rating (though not current).

So far nothing really scary has happened with possible exception of finding a small engine compartment fuel leak AFTER a recent flight test.

Yesterday I flew for about an hour - at 5000 feet agl, right over top of my airport. Yet even with the altitude and proximity to home, my anxiety level continued to grow the longer I was up.

I did distract myself by doing the CAS tests but as soon as they were done I did a "how am I doing check?". I decided that my anxiety level was reaching my limit.

I wanted to stay up longer to get the 40 hours down, and the weather was beautiful, but I had just reached my stress limit. So, i reduced power and managed a decent landing.

I don't think I ever really considered how the flight test phase would affect me. I was so busy building and besides, not many people talk about this subject.

I presume the more I fly the easier this will get, but that doesn't really help me right now.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for dealing with the anxiety of flight testing?

TIA
Gary

Gary,
The previous 3 pages of suggestions are good ones, yet, I'm suggesting something very different.

There was a time when I did mostly test flying (as opposed to GA/Fun flying), and there were issues.

The loss of confidence is one of the most difficult things to get back.
It can be accomplished by experinceing a series of small successes.

Even Maverick in Top Gun had trouble engaging, although this is no joke.

I personally leaned on a GREAT instructor, Dave Austin out of Denton, TX.
You will find a guru.

My suggestion is a very personal one; look deep inside yourself and ask "what am I really afraid of".
You do not need to share that with anyone, yet, face it (perhaps with an RV instructor). Then, face it head on. Get it back.
Your plane will be fine.

Plan your flights.
Fly your plans.

Daddyman

My suggestion is a very personal one; look deep inside yourself and ask "what am I really afraid of".
You do not need to share that with anyone, yet, face it (perhaps with an RV instructor). Then, face it head on. Get it back.
Your plane will be fine.

Plan your flights.
Fly your plans.

Daddyman

I have found the above advice to be the key to overcoming apprehension when test flying. My level of apprehension in early flights of a new aircraft (built five so far, all different designs) has risen in a direct relationship with my personal odometer. The risks I used to take with two-stroke powered aircraft are no longer acceptable to this pilot twenty-five years older/wiser.

It has been interesting to me how level of concern has also increased along with my expanded aviation knowledge background. In the early years I may have been a bit more "fat, dumb, and happy", but now I'm more cognizant of what might happen. I guess that is one reason our combat pilots aren't 63 years old. ;)

But the bottom line is what is described in the quote above....use introspection to determine exactly the source of the apprehension. It may be flight inexperience, or doubt concerning a particular aspect of construction, or gross unfamiliarity with engine dynamics, or some other corner of the flight experience. Once the primary source of apprehension is identified, then do whatever is necessary to add knowledge and/or skill to reduce the source of concern.

Why do we not fear the reliability of a C172? Because it is built and maintained to a known standard. Then built and inspect our new aircraft to a similar level of reliability.

Why do we not fear the flight characteristics of a C172? Because we have flown it sufficiently to understand how it flies. Then transition with an instructor in an aircraft similar to our new plane so we won't be surprised by unknown flight characteristics.

If our new RV is built to the same level of reliability as a certificated aircraft, and our flight skills are brought to a level appropriate for our new plane, then the chances of unforeseen problems are reduced tremendously. The biggest benefit is we no longer have a rational reason to fear the aircraft's or our own ability to conduct safe flight.

It is very likely that some pilots will never be comfortable with test flying their new aircraft just as some folks will no longer ride a motorcycle on the road or jump out of airplanes. Sometimes the nerves just aren't there due to insecurities or simple advancement of years. In my case, I have spent the summer flying a new aircraft that has no contemporary because of a unique engine installation for that particular design. The added stress of sorting out some serious aerodynamic issues has pushed this old pilot close to his limits of risk tolerance. But through a gradual sequence of testing within my personal limits the plane has been safely sorted out and my confidence in it is increasing to where I can fly it simply for enjoyment.

But an RV is such a know quantity that a motivated builder can fly a reliable plane with known flight characteristics and engine installation. Crank back the expectations of a brief Phase One and instead use a progressive approach to confront every source of apprehension as it arises. Gradual progression into Phase One is the key to low-stress completion of the test flights and an enjoyable acclimation to your new plane.

I'm curious whether you had any transition training.

I found that about 9 hours with my friend, Tom Berge, who also did the first flight, made flying my RV-7A just another RV-7A since I'd gotten so comfortable flying his

I think a lot of people view transition training, especially when it's required by the insurance authorities, as hours to be flown off. It's also a chance to unwind the unfamiliarity with a new aircraft.

This process is very much like becoming a parent for the first time. In the last few weeks of pregnancy, you start to wonder whether you're really up for this? What if I can't do it? What if I don't love him/her? Anxiety that is heightened by the fact it's too late to do anything about it.

This is your baby and you will bond with it, but it also takes a little bit of time. The anxiety you're feeling is also heightened by the anxiety about the anxiety you're feeling.

It's going to be OK. You're going to be a great parent to your plane.

Last edited:
This is an excellent thread with lots of great comments and recommendations from experienced folk who went through the same thing. We all did.

I had a very good primary flight instructor when I was getting my ppl some 20 plus years ago. Before I soloed he would randomly do things like open a door or window, grab the yoke and yank on it, and other purposeful distractions. "See, this thing isn't going to fall out of the sky, relax, and fly the airplane." He did this so often that it became routine. He would pull the mixture and kill the engine, I would simply push it back in. Things like that. After a while, my heart didn't jump out of my chest anymore when some.ething unexpected happened. I dealt with it.
Fly the airplane, fly the airplane, fly the airplane. That is your mantra and perhaps your salvation.

Most will never know how they might react in an emergency. i didn't know until the day I lost power in flight. I didn't panic. I had a small airport in site, I was able to glide to final, and if I could just stretch this glide path a little..... then I noticed the back pressure on the stick, my airspeed approaching stall, and it kicked in "fly the airplane". I let the pressure off, picked up some airspeed, and landed gently in a field of 4' tall clover ( which eventuall caught up in my gear and slowly put me on my back).
I lived, repaired the airplane and flew it for another 9 years. (Another first flight story that tested me again, twice!) but that's a story for another day. I sucked enough air out of the room already.....
Good luck, be safe, and fly the airplane!

I had a very good primary flight instructor when I was getting my ppl some 20 plus years ago. Before I soloed he would randomly do things like open a door or window, grab the yoke and yank on it, and other purposeful distractions. "See, this thing isn't going to fall out of the sky, relax, and fly the airplane." He did this so often that it became routine. He would pull the mixture and kill the engine, I would simply push it back in. Things like that. After a while, my heart didn't jump out of my chest anymore when some.ething unexpected happened. I dealt with it.

That's more than one way to shorten your life expectancy as a flight instructor.:eek:

Bevan

I'm curious whether you had any transition training.

I found that about 9 hours with my friend, Tom Berge, who also did the first flight, made flying my RV-7A just another RV-7A since I'd gotten so comfortable flying his

I think a lot of people view transition training, especially when it's required by the insurance authorities, as hours to be flown off. It's also a chance to unwind the unfamiliarity with a new aircraft.

This process is very much like becoming a parent for the first time. In the last few weeks of pregnancy, you start to wonder whether you're really up for this? What if I can't do it? What if I don't love him/her? Anxiety that is heightened by the fact it's too late to do anything about it.

This is your baby and you will bond with it, but it also takes a little bit of time. The anxiety you're feeling is also heightened by the anxiety about the anxiety you're feeling.

It's going to be OK. You're going to be a great parent to your plane.

My transition training was too short and poorly handled. It was the perfect example of how not to do it, unfortunately.

I had a good day today

As a follow up, today my mentor asked my wife and I if we wanted to fly to a nearby airport for lunch. Linda would fly in his plane and I in mine.

The winds were a little more gusty than I would have liked, but I agreed to go for it.

First off, flying with another plane (1 mile separation) completely distracted me from worrying about the plane. I was actually just enjoying going some where.

When we got to the destination airport, the wind shifted on approach and I found myself with a gusty tailwind on short final resulting in a go around for a landing in the opposite direction.

We had a great taco stand lunch and then flew home to another gusty landing.

The whole experience felt like an adventure. The challenging landings were really ca confidence builder.

I really appreciate my friend suggesting we go got this flight. It reminded me why I love to fly.

Now I'm actually looking forward to flying tomorrow instead of stressing about it. Hopefully this feeling will last!

Last edited:

That's more than one way to shorten your life expectancy as a flight instructor.:eek:

Bevan

Bevan

I am sure in today's milk toast flight training programs. He moved on to flying mercy missions in Africa. All I can say is his training was impactful, and when the going got tough, I remembered to fly the airplane....and dealt with the situation without panic. That's better than the average engine out outcome, which often leads to stall/spin and death.

Last edited:
I just noticed this thread and read quickly through the responses and am astounded that with four pages of comments, no one has mentioned wearing a parachute.

I had been a skydiver for two decades before taking my primary flight training in 97 and it made _no sense_ to me at all, to be up in the air without a parachute. "What if something goes wrong", I would often say to myself.

Now I'm a pilot, A&P, and Parachute Rigger and I feel even more strongly about this. If the aircraft will allow for egress in flight, why not wear a parachute?? When the proverbial s!*t hits the fan, it gives one an _Option_. I know all the arguments against such as; " I won't have time, I can't get out of it, what happens to the airplane when I leave it". Etc, etc.

In my mind, there is no reason that when we push the power forward and commit to flight that we should also be wedded to bringing the airplane back in one piece. Not at the risk of our lives and our loved one's futures. There is a good reason the FAA makes us do our phase I testing in a sparsely populate area so why not take advantage of it. If there is no reasonable chance of bringing the airplane in for a survivable landing, simple switch roles and become a skydiver. Then?collect the insurance money, have a great hangar story to share, and correct any mistakes you made on the *next* build. Of course, get the proper training and preparation and all that stuff.....

To me, wearing a parachute while flying adds a tremendous amount of comfort, relief from anxiety, and a sense that I'm well prepared for most any eventuality.

Now I'm a pilot, A&P, and Parachute Rigger and I feel even more strongly about this. If the aircraft will allow for egress in flight, why not wear a parachute?? When the proverbial s!*t hits the fan, it gives one an _Option_. I know all the arguments against such as; " I won't have time, I can't get out of it, what happens to the airplane when I leave it". Etc, etc.

As has been discussed numerous times on this forum, the RV aircraft are either extremely difficult or impossible to exit during flight. If you want more particulars about this subject, the Search function will brings up threads describing the design issues the make opening the canopy problematic. The four-place RV-10 is most likely the only RV that would allow easy egress in flight.

Last edited:
As has been discussed numerous times on this forum, the RV aircraft are either extremely difficult or impossible to exit during flight. If you want more particulars about this subject, the Search function will brings up threads describing the design issues the make opening the canopy problematic. The four-place RV-10 is most likely the only RV that would allow easy egress in flight.

I hate to disagree with Sam on anything, but here I must. IMO the early RV-6 would be the easiest RV to exit in flight. Tip-up, jettisonable canopy with no struts. Unlatch, pull the handle and the canopy is gone!

True, Mel, but the tip-up RVs built in the last twenty years won't have that canopy design. You are flying a "legacy" RV-6. :)

The RV-4 canopy could be jettisoned but newer RVs weren't designed for easy egress.

Last edited:
>As has been discussed numerous times on this forum, the RV aircraft are either extremely difficult or impossible to exit during flight.

Thank you for that. I will do a search and check into it because this is something I care about. To me, it's a shortcoming. We build these things ourselves, why not design and build-in an egress system. I'm building an Acroduster II and I've put more time and effort into the canopy jettison system than any other part of the airplane.

When I flew my RV-3 for ~ 500 hours I regularly wore a parachute and I had no doubt that I could and would, bail out if I had to. Of course, that's probably because of the mindset brought about from my skydiving background.

True, Mel, but the tip-up RVs built in the last twenty years won't have that canopy design. You are flying a "legacy" RV-6. :)

OTOH, if you want, it's very easy to convert to the earlier version.
I would NEVER think of converting my airplane to the later version!

Thank you for that. I will do a search and check into it because this is something I care about. To me, it's a shortcoming. We build these things ourselves, why not design and build-in an egress system. I'm building an Acroduster II and I've put more time and effort into the canopy jettison system than any other part of the airplane.

The original RV-6 WAS designed with a very good jettisonable canopy.

I had similar flight time and experience when I finished building my 7A. I recommend some dual with an RV instructor to gain confidence and ability in the event of engine failure. I flew 5 hours with Mike Seager out of Vernonia Oregon, and feel the cost was the smartest money spent on the project to date.

Jay

Back