What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"R" vs "L" choke valve nomenclature?

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Just a curious question: Does anyone have the backstory regarding why the choke disc valves (I know, it's not really a choke, it's an enrichment circuit) are labeled "R" on the left side and "L" on the right side of the engine?

Heavy Maintenance Manual §73-00-00 p 33: "The shafts for the rotary disc valve have two markings, L and R. The shaft marked R is for the carburetors for cylinders 2/4, the shaft marked L for the the carburetor for cylinders 1/3. Fig. 73-25 shows the positions of the markings on the choke shaft."

thanks in advance,
-dbh

A few years ago I had a west coast shop do the 500 hr overhaul of my carbs. They swapped Right to Left resulting in an engine that would not start. After much troubleshooting I figured it out and swapped the “choke” assemblies back. The engine sprang to life. Right and Left are labeled for a reason.

R vs L

I don't know the backstory. But I do know that Bing carbs are used for more than just Rotax 912 engines. So, maybe another application...?

I seem to recall something about the engine's original design being a "pusher" motor, whereas on the RV-12, it is in a "tractor" configuration.

So, when Rotax 912 first came out, that's how the Bing carb enrichement levers got labeled.

I seem to recall something about the engine's original design being a "pusher" motor, whereas on the RV-12, it is in a "tractor" configuration.

So, when Rotax 912 first came out, that's how the Bing carb enrichement levers got labeled.

Using Occam's razor: that sounds like the simplest (and thus best) explanation. I'll take it! :)

Rotax should have the BING carburetor MFG label the enrichment stuff "Cyl 1 3" and "Cyl 2 4" to solve this problem.

Back