What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main gear weldment fit

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm trying to fit/install the weldments but seem to be having an issue. I can't find any additional places of interference that would be keeping it from sitting all the way against the center spar.

How much can these be off from the manufacturing vs improper installation?

The inboard side is flush against the spar but the outboard angles and creates about 1/8" gap.

Also, even with one end tight against the spar, the bolts would be short. I barely get one thread showing.

Thoughts on issues?

Thank you!
Allen

Rivet heads?

It has been over 12 yrs since I test fit my weldments but I had an interference with the universal head rivets in the pre-made center section and the clearance hole in the weldments. The center section was not installed when I noticed the interference.

Had to add to open up the weldment clearance holes to clear the heads.

It has been over 12 yrs since I test fit my weldments but I had an interference with the universal head rivets in the pre-made center section and the clearance hole in the weldments. The center section was not installed when I noticed the interference.

Had to add to open up the weldment clearance holes to clear the heads.

I also had to do this. It is also worth checking to see if there are any welds protruding that my prevent it from sitting flush.

Fitting them mounts seemed like it would be a 30 min job. I was so mad when it took 5 hours. haha Way it goes some times.

Thanks. I made sure all the hole for rivet heads were clear when I did my first fitting. It also took me 5 hours to do this!
The manual says to shim if over 1/16", I just don't know if it's acceptable to shim for 1/8".
Hopefully, this doesn't change too much of the fit because thinking it was good, I drilled the other support arms. These things are like $450 a piece!

Thanks. I made sure all the hole for rivet heads were clear when I did my first fitting. It also took me 5 hours to do this!
The manual says to shim if over 1/16", I just don't know if it's acceptable to shim for 1/8".
Hopefully, this doesn't change too much of the fit because thinking it was good, I drilled the other support arms. These things are like $450 a piece!

I hear ya, don't worry too much if they are already drilled. I had to weld one of the holes shut on the support arm and re-drill it, not a big deal. An 1/8" gap is pretty large to shim IMO (although that would be a Van's question in my mind)
Can you see/tell if anything is causing interference? I know it's hard to see back there. You may get a feeler like a chip clearing tool and see if you can feel where it is hitting. (assuming you are 100% sure the rivets are clear)

Back