What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

67" diameter 69" pitch 3 blade Catto on 160hp O320 RV8

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
I have been planning on purchasing a Catto 2 or 3 blade all around prop for my RV8 in which I will be installing a 160hp O320.

However I may have the opportunity to secure a 67" diameter 69" pitch 3 Blade Catto propeller with about 63 hours on it which is currently fitted to an RV3. The Catto website recommends climb pitch of 71", all round 72" and cruise 73" for the RV8 with the 160 hp O320.

The advertisement says the propeller has a design RPM of 2700rpm and maximum of 3200. I don't think the Lycoming is designed for 3200 RPM.

What if any issues would you envisage if I installed that prop on the RV8 with the 160hp O320?

I am thinking about possibly doing this and living with the finer pitch for the testing phase and then upgrade to the all around propellor when I need to do a bit more cruising (with appropriate further testing as required).

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Talk to Nicole at Catto... she'll answer your question and provide the best choice for your plane. Top notch

Talk to Nicole at Catto... she'll answer your question and provide the best choice for your plane. Top notch

There is also a chance that Catto can repitch the prop to suit your needs for a reasonable amount. I had mine refurded not long ago and was very surprised how reasonable the pricing was. Go it back looking good as new for hundreds of dollars, not thousands

I ran a 70/70 Catto on my IO-320 RV-8 for 500 hrs, it worked very well.

However, I have found the Whirl Wind ground adjustable to be more durable and it is infinitely adjustable to what ever operating conditions you need.

Back