What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration Issues and Backlog

Upsideup

The plane I bought a while back (not in flying condition) had expired registration. It is back ready to fly with a recent CI but the registration paperwork is still stuck in the FAA backlog and judging by the speed they are moving will be for another 2-3 months.

So does anyone have any advice on how to get them to work on it sooner in this situation?

I had my reg delayed as well. Status never went past "Pending". I called the registration office and spoke with someone about it. They confirmed it was in process and pending, that was all they could do. Next day I check and it's finalized, 3 days later the paperwork all arrived in the mail.

Not sure of the call and completion was a fluke or if the call helped. Doesn't hurt to try, although the hold time is frustrating.

Change of address on N number reservation

I thought about registering the plane as part of an LLC but decided to just use a PO box instead.

So if I have a reserved N number at a different address, do I have to change the address of the reserved N number before using it; or does just the name has to match?

I assume the bill of sale and registration address must be the same thou.

Thanks

I was transferring my registration from me to an LLC that I own and it took 8 months, having just received. I emailed when the temporary was about to expire and I got an extension “until the new registration is issued”. Interesting wording. The extension took 3 days from my email.

I thought about registering the plane as part of an LLC but decided to just use a PO box instead.

So if I have a reserved N number at a different address, do I have to change the address of the reserved N number before using it; or does just the name has to match?

I assume the bill of sale and registration address must be the same thou.

Thanks

Call the FAA office in OK. Describe your situation and tell them the N-number that you reserved. I had mine reserved but never got the confirmation. I talked to the nice gentleman at the FAA and he prioritized my registration form. It took me 7 days from the send date to my N-number officially registered.

The issue you have is the information on your N-number reservation is no longer up to date. The man from the FAA specifically asked me about my plan to submit the registration with the same name or change it to a corporation because this will increase the time. However, I recommend talking to the FAA because most of us don't know about the day-to-day priority at the FAA. The FAA gentleman said the FAA is prioritizing all initial registrations for EAB aircraft. So your case may fall on the priority list as well.

I had my reg delayed as well. Status never went past "Pending". I called the registration office and spoke with someone about it. They confirmed it was in process and pending, that was all they could do. Next day I check and it's finalized, 3 days later the paperwork all arrived in the mail.

Not sure of the call and completion was a fluke or if the call helped. Doesn't hurt to try, although the hold time is frustrating.

I had a somewhat similar experience. My reg had been submitted in December. While I was at Oshkosh a few weeks ago I went to the FAA building at the show and spoke with a lady handling the "aircraft registration" line. She looked me up on her computer, looked up at me and said "Your registration has just gone through." I don't know if she did it or if it was coincidence. It was at my house soon. Prior to this, any time I called FAA I got a message saying "We're experiencing an unusually heave call volume and can't take your call. Try again later (click)."

Jerre

FAA

I got the same “we are experiencing delays call back later” and though this is a waste of time. I’ll need to hire an agent “it’s normally pretty reasonable their offices are next to the FAA’s but thought I’d try again later in the day. Sure enough got in the que and talked to a very nice and helpful FAA person and in 2 days done. The FAA seems to be bending over backwards to help us GA people. Thanks !!

Back