What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire and Pitot/AOA routing around aileron crank

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
My project arrived with wire conduits installed. The large one is along the bottom of the rib behind the large opening in the ribs. No problem. There is a smaller conduit for Pitot heat and roll servo that ends in the bay outside of the aileron bellcrank. It's routed directly beneath the pivot point of the bellcrank. I plan to route the Pitot and AOA tubes above and below this conduit and the bellcrank, but will this conduit in this location interfere with the aileron operation? IMG_8983.jpg

Here's how I routed my pitot and AOA lines. Wires were in the Van's recommended wing rib location, near the aft end of the access panels, not under the bell crank.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 313
  • 2015-10-31 11.54.20.jpg
    2015-10-31 11.54.20.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 355
Bracket

I made a small bracket that keeps the Pitot & AOA lines below the bellcrank. It is made of 0.032 and the bellcrank bolts hold it in place.

FP22042016A0016R.jpg

Yup. Planning on something similar. I'm more concerned about a 1/2" wiring conduit on the way to the Pitot heat controller, or roll servo in the other wing. It currently goes directly beneath the bellcrank. Spoke to Van's this morning, and Tech said that location is ok if you fab up a guide bracket to restrain the wiring as it passes beneath. I'm planning on splitting the pitot and AOA tubes to the top and bottom of the space and restraining them by guides tied into the Tie Down bolts.

Safe

This may look safe but is really scary to me. If, in the future, a tie comes loose or something, that wire run can snag the bell crank and cause control problems. In my mind, a few extra feet to go around well clear won't make much of a difference in weight, but may save a incident.

I'm running a few wires up the tunnel in my RV-10, including some RG-400 for various antennae, the wires from/to the battery, and the firing cable for my BRS parachute system.

To prevent any of these interfering with the push rods, bell crank, and flap motor, I have drilled and dimpled holes in the sides of the tunnel to install Adel / cushion clamps to secure all these wires wherever I'm afraid they could move and get in the way. Zip ties, conduits, and gravity are nice, but a tight Adel clamp will rarely fail.

For wing runs I use:
- The existing 5/8” rib holes for the right wing and the part of the left wing outboard the pitot tube. I use standard plastic cold water pipe for the conduit.
- For the left wing inboard the pitot tube I increase the rib holes to 3/4”, then use the Van’s conduit (it fits but takes a little effort to get it in).

The 5/8” run is big enough for all wires, including the right wing autopilot and wingtip nav antenna coax.

The 3/4” run is big enough on the left side for the wires, and the pitot and AOA 1/4” tubing.

I never liked the tubing under the bell crank idea.

Carl

Back