What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 30-06 problem rivets

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've been trying to figure out how to set the top rivets in the shoulder harness lug assemblies common to the F-01406 A & C bulkheads. I was able to squeeze the lower rivets but I cannot for the life of me figure how to set the upper rivets. I can't get a squeezer on them from either direction. I can't even get a yoke lined up with the rivet holes (without the body of the squeezer). The bottom of the yoke where it surrounds the "plunger" can't get lined up with the rivet because of the top side skin and the lug itself is in the way from the front. I can push it somewhat out of the way with a lot of pressure but can't imagine it not pushing the squeezer off the rivet.

I've checked several rivet sets, including single and double offsets. The shoulder of the single offset hits the lug. The double offset is probably the best bet but the lug still puts enough pressure on it that I imagine a major smile resulting.

How have you guys handled this one? I asked the mothership about a pulled rivet but didn't get a solid answer that would give me any warm fuzzies.

Image is from the left side of Figure 3, page 30-06.

Attachments

• Page 30-06 Clipping.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 157
Okay, I'll look at that again. Seemed like I couldn't get it straight on the rivet without the lug putting substantial downward pressure on the set.

There’s a word for those rivets. The moderators will kick me off if I use it.

Yes…offset rivet set. And a partner if possible to buck while you use two hands to hold everything straight. They aren’t that difficult to drill out though :rolleyes:

Another builder, Ken B., taught me a trick that works especially well with the double offset rivet set - put a square of duct tape on the end of the set and it will stay on the rivet head (replace tape after a few rivets).

_Alex

Another builder, Ken B., taught me a trick that works especially well with the double offset rivet set - put a square of duct tape on the end of the set and it will stay on the rivet head (replace tape after a few rivets).

Sounds like a neat trick. Just a little too late to try in this case.

Back