What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutplate install over #8 dimpled screw hole

huse0054

Well Known Member
Any tips for installing nutplates over a dimpled screw hole? I am having difficulty installing nutplates over a dimpled #8 screw hole. The rivet holes are countersunk and I am using oops rivets so have not dimpled the nutplate or the skin for the rivets.

The problem is when I cleco one side of the nutplate to squeeze a rivet on the other side, that side is not flush to the skin. How are you getting that side flush to be able to squeeze a rivet?

Maybe too obvious, but in these cases I usually run a screw into the nutplate if I need to hold it tight to the skin while riveting.

Any tips for installing nutplates over a dimpled screw hole? I am having difficulty installing nutplates over a dimpled #8 screw hole. The rivet holes are countersunk and I am using oops rivets so have not dimpled the nutplate or the skin for the rivets.

The problem is when I cleco one side of the nutplate to squeeze a rivet on the other side, that side is not flush to the skin. How are you getting that side flush to be able to squeeze a rivet?

So the screw hole is dimpled, but the rivet holes are countersunk? Are you sure you have the skin thickness to countersink? A couple of thoughts are that maybe you need the platenut (anchornut) that accepts a dimpled screw hole (K1100) or that your rivet hole spacing is not correct. If the rivet hole spacing is not correct, it will pull the platenut to align that hole which will cause the platenut to not sit flush.

Maybe too obvious, but in these cases I usually run a screw into the nutplate if I need to hold it tight to the skin while riveting.

I use this method too to keep the nutplate tight to the sheet metal. I also put a cleco on the open rivet hole to keep on the pressure and to keep the nutplate from rotating.

There are plenty of RVers in the Twin Cities. Have a Tech Counselor or other local RV builder stop by and take a look at your situation. Check the VAF white pages for contacts.
There are lots of little trick and tips to nutplates/platenuts.

Back