What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA vent screen

Bgill

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a “bug” screen in the air vent? In my RV-10, i installed a small section of window screen over the rear of the aluminum vent. The -14 mounts directly to the NACA duct and I am not seeing a good solution. I am using Steins aluminum vents.
Hoping someone has a nifty solution.

I used regular window screen, over the NACA duct port under the hose. It’s still there after 17 years.

And I use stainless steel screen from a colinder I purchased from the grocery store.

Aluminum window screen

I think I "lost" the supplied 3X3 screens in a move.
I found some aluminum window screens, bought the smallest size (24X24 inches) and cut my own.
I installed one on the NACA for the pilot vent.
I forgot to install the second one on the NACA below the wing for the passenger vent.
I put it on the SteinAir passenger vent instead...
Homebuilding... :rolleyes:

I made some out of pvc and screen. Fits in scat tube. Believe there was a kitlanes article on it cause I know I didn’t design it myself

Attachments

• 13DEDAE2-D8A7-477B-9227-77C016FF2995.jpg
    13DEDAE2-D8A7-477B-9227-77C016FF2995.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 526
I used nylon window screen on each NACA duct on my RV-8. Learned a lesson on the fuselage screen; should have let the ProSeal set up a bit longer before riveting; it got a little pushed in. The wing one is better.

Two short lengths (~1/4") of PVC pipe with an OD greater than the ID of the vent. Cut lengthwise and remove enough so that the rings will fit into the vent. Install one ring, a circle of stiff screen followed by the second ring. Add about 2 drops of thin CA to each ring... Done..

Attachments

• NACA screen 1.jpg
    NACA screen 1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 443
  • NACA screen 2.jpg
    NACA screen 2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 437
You can buy small sheets of stainless steel screen mesh from McMaster Carr relatively inexpensively. Just decide what size you need based on bug size, trim to shape with tin snips, then bond in place with sikaflex PU or pro seal. It gives a rigid screen that looks professional, works great and will last the life of the aircraft. The biggest downside is you’ll get a taste for buying parts from McMaster Carr and before you know it half your aircraft is built from McMaster Carr pieces.
Tom.
RV-7

Your local Dollar Tree store sells S.S. spatter screens for frying pans @ $1.00 each. That provides enough screening to do a couple planes. I cut mine out and used Pro-Seal to glue them to the edge of the NACA duct connection end after forming the screening edge to fit inside the duct end.

Bug screen

I have plastic scrub pads inside my scat tube, still get good flow but no bugs. Good choice for something simple

A bit different animal

While the suggestions are great - and similar to what I did on my RV-10, the 14 is a bit different in that no SCAT tube or room is provided. I (hopefully) have a screen shot showing the build section. The entrance to the vent actually sits recessed in the SV-10 transition duct. I also included a close up view looking into the NACA opening from the fuselage exterior. You can see how close the vent entrance is to the NACA opening.

The only other option I have thought about is to machine or 3D print an insert for the output side of the vent face - that will be visible from pilot & passenger all the time and affix a screen in that area. Not sure if I like that thought yet..

Thanks all for the responses.

Attachments

• 14Vent.jpg
    14Vent.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 220
FWIW I had no screens for the vents in my -8A and in ten years of flying and many weeks of being parked outside never had a bug come in thru the vents. So I don't plan to put any screen in the vents for my -14 either.

I use aluminum honeycomb "kill-flash" material off of ebay. Rough cut on the bandsaw to the ID of the vent plus a smidge. Press into the vent barrel and secure with a bit of RTV, or not. Minimal flow restriction and looks cool.

Attachments

• grid.jpg
    grid.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 321
Winner

Mike W.

That may be the ticket I need. I had seen the scope covers before but not the bare material. I now have the info to order some to try out.

VAF comes through again!

Thanks,

I use aluminum honeycomb "kill-flash" material off of ebay. Rough cut on the bandsaw to the ID of the vent plus a smidge. Press into the vent barrel and secure with a bit of RTV, or not. Minimal flow restriction and looks cool.

There sure are a lot of different types of that material out there. Any guidance on specs?

Aluminum Mesh

I used a piece of aluminum window screen, about 3"x3" IIRC. Wrapped it over the NACA outlet, and used the SCEET duct & Breeze clamp to secure the entire assembly. No fuss, No muss, No bees, wasps, etc..

Grids

I bought mine from “honeygrids” in the 3/8” thickness. Bought oversize diameter and ground to slight oversize before pressing in the output side of the vent. Added a bit of RTV to keep from shifting. Couldn’t be happier with the results.
The material is like an extruded plastic so has some compressability when you push it in.

I bought mine from “honeygrids” in the 3/8” thickness. Bought oversize diameter and ground to slight oversize before pressing in the output side of the vent. Added a bit of RTV to keep from shifting. Couldn’t be happier with the results.
The material is like an extruded plastic so has some compressability when you push it in.

What "cell diameter" size did you use? I see they have different sizes from 0.135" to 0.365", and sheet thicknesses from 0.18" to about 2".

This one. They mention cell diameter but I only saw one listed 1/8”
Cell Size: 1/8” Diameter - 3/8” (.36) thickness (most popular)

Like others, I found that the basket from a 3-inch food strainer nests very nicely inside the vent, and only takes a few minutes to cut and install.

Attachments

• air vent.jpg
    air vent.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 89
Back