What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Build Inspection

SteveO

Hello all. I have a couple questions about having an experimental aircraft inspected:

What are the “legal” requirements for an experimental aircraft to be signed off as airworthy? Is it just an inspection by an FAA inspector near the end of the build?

And

What are some opinions/recommendations regarding inspection “during” the build process.

Thank you,
Steve

TC

Only one inspection required.
My opinion
Find a Tech Counselor. Better still, use a different one each visit. Multiple eyes.
Get a TC inspection before closing the first empennage component, before closing wings and tanks, canoe stage of the fuse and before the final inspection.

What are the “legal” requirements for an experimental aircraft to be signed off as airworthy? Is it just an inspection by an FAA inspector near the end of the build?

And

What are some opinions/recommendations regarding inspection “during” the build process.

Thank you,
Steve

At the 'end' of the build (airplane is ready for first flight) the builder signs it off as "in a safe condition for flight". (For technical reasons the FAA doesn't approve of the use of the word "airworthy" here.) It then is inspected by an FAA inspector or a DAR ("designated airworthiness representative", a non-FAA employee who is authorized to do this (for hire)) who issues the 'special airworthiness certificate'. The degree of "inspection" varies wildly, with some (especially, it seems, FAA inspectors) only looking at the paperwork and, maybe, required placards and/or height/width/spacing of the N-number. Others will give the plane a more careful going over. But technically they do not "inspect" the airplane and declare it safe. The builder does that.

No other inspections are required (this is US only - other countries have different rules), but it's never a bad idea to have someone else look, as mentioned above.

If you want to do some light reading, I would recommend you get a copy of FAA AC 20-27G and AC 90-89B. The first deals with EAB certification and the second gives guidance on preparation for and actual flight testing. There should be an EAA chapter somewhere nearby with folks who have experience with local DAR’s. Also look in the DAR section of this site for contact information. I would (and did) talk to a designee early in my build to see what I could expect down the road.

As previously stated, there is no “inspection” requirement until you reach the end of the build and are ready for flight testing. Anything else you do prior to that is your choice. I can’t stress enough how valuable your local EAA chapter can be for advice and assistance during the build.

Back