What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passenger legroom question

sgubser

I'm New Here
Hello everyone,

I am considering buying or building an RV7 or RV8. One challenge is my wife / co pilot has a bad left leg. She really must have this leg elevated when sitting for long periods of time. Something like it sitting on a footstool when sitting on a couch.

In the RV8, can the rear passenger straighten the left leg out on that side of the pilots seat?

My wife is 5'10 with a 36" inseam.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Steve

In the RV8, can the rear passenger straighten the left leg out on that side of the pilots seat?

Not with her heel in the footwell. If you do not install the rear rudder pedal option, it may be possible to place the heel more forward, elevated on top of the main spar. Seems like it would require a foam cushion under the calf. You'll just have to find an -8 for a trial fit.

Don't know

My wife is a lot shorter than this and has fairly good health, but she will not ride more than two-two and a half hours with out stretching the legs and taking a natural break. I'm with Dan on this one, you should try her out in the back of an 8. The back seat is not hard to get in and out of, but it's not the most comfortable to set in for very long. I would guess your wife will not like the back seat of an 8, but that's just a guess. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I have Classic Aero leather seats and several people have commented that the rear seat in my RV 8 is the most comfortable seat they have ever used. I am 73 inches and have ridden in the back seat and found it very comfortable. Note: no rudder pedals.

FWIW, I'm 6ft with short legs, and I've ridden in the back of an -8 twice. Both times, my legs felt quite restricted and I think I would have been going nuts after about an hour. I just couldn't move them hardly at all except to push the little rudder pedals the builder installed. But I'm one of those people that can't sit still for very long; I'm constantly shifting and moving about, even in my sleep.

As others have said, let her try one on.

I agree that she needs a trial fit. The -8 certainly has a natural position with the feet higher than most planes, but elevating it further with a cushion might not be comfortable for her and might interfere with your elbow and arm movement. And, Paul keeps dropping the seat belt buckle onto my foot! (To be fair, I've been known to do the same to him.)

Depending on her problem, entering and exiting the back of an -8 could be problematic. Despite an earlier statement, most people find ingress and egress with the back seat of an -8 considerably more difficult than any other RV (except, probably, the -4). And, -6s, -7s, and -9s aren't easily accessible as it is. We have older friends who will not get in the back of the -8 again because they were afraid that they wouldn't be able to get out (and did need significant help). Even with my good agility, I find the -8 much less entry- and exit-friendly.

I have a friend at Pecan who has covered up the rear foot wells in his 8A. That would allow your legs to be horizontal and you could add a small pillow. The 8 has lots of room in the back and because you can lift yourself out with the side rails on both sides I also believe its the easiest RV to get in and out of.

Easiest or Most Difficult?
Perhaps just different depending on model. All RV's, except maybe the 10 are like climbing in and out of a tub. Seating position/posture are different and opinions vary on what is better/best.
Great advice given by many already - the trial fit.
I find the 8 back seat to be quite comfortable and there would be room to elevate the legs somehow but leg movement side to side is what it is. None.

Back