What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tyco W23 Odd Failure Mode

Cth6

Well Known Member
I figured I would share as this was not anything I had seen before nor had any of my hangar mates.

Symptoms - Over past 5 flights, electric DG would occasionally throw up the flag and the DG was not holding heading for very long when the flag was hidden. Two times it would not start right away when avionics power was energized. This weekend, nothing I could do would spin it up.

Well, I figured it was time for me to decide on the G5 or the AV-30 as I have been kicking that decision down the road for months.

On a whim, I decided to check to see if the breaker was working since I was not able to even get the littlest noise out of the DG. The breaker has never tripped since I have owned the plane. Voltage on the line side was 12.4v and on the load side 2.8v. I cycled the breaker a few times and still just below 3v.

I have seen breakers fail both open and closed, but never in a partial voltage state.

I never had a Tyco breaker fail (three RVs over 20 years), but did have this exact same issue on a GTN-650 install. The problem was a loose connection on the breaker terminal.

BTW - I vote for the AV-30 over the G5!!

Carl

They have been the subject of quite a few airworthiness bulletins and AD's.
Definitely not my first (or second) choice.

They have been the subject of quite a few airworthiness bulletins and AD's.
Definitely not my first (or second) choice.

Walt, I know of the W31 issues back in 2008 but I have not seen anything about the W23 breakers. Two completely different animals.

I have searched but not found anything. Can you point me in the right direction?

Walt, I know of the W31 issues back in 2008 but I have not seen anything about the W23 breakers. Two completely different animals.

I have searched but not found anything. Can you point me in the right direction?

Same POS IMO.

I've been having a similar problem. Mine is a Tyco W58 10A breaker that causes 2--3 volts of voltage drop. Connections are all tight. I can wiggle it or flex it and it temporarily will function correctly again, then a short time later, reverts to strange behavior.

Thanks Walt, I did this search specifically because I couldn't remember if it was Tyco or Klixon that was the problem so I know what to buy to replace it.

I figured I would share as this was not anything I had seen before nor had any of my hangar mates.

Symptoms - Over past 5 flights, electric DG would occasionally throw up the flag and the DG was not holding heading for very long when the flag was hidden. Two times it would not start right away when avionics power was energized. This weekend, nothing I could do would spin it up.

Well, I figured it was time for me to decide on the G5 or the AV-30 as I have been kicking that decision down the road for months.

On a whim, I decided to check to see if the breaker was working since I was not able to even get the littlest noise out of the DG. The breaker has never tripped since I have owned the plane. Voltage on the line side was 12.4v and on the load side 2.8v. I cycled the breaker a few times and still just below 3v.

I have seen breakers fail both open and closed, but never in a partial voltage state.

Last edited:
Back