What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS CPI/EM users: panel question

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I will be working on my panel design and getting it firmed up in the next few weeks. I had been planning on placing the CPI-2 control head to the left of PFD with the related switches below it. However, I'm wondering if there might be reason to place it at the top of my center stack (beside a Garmin G-5). Operationally, does its placement make much difference to you?

I will be working on my panel design and getting it firmed up in the next few weeks. I had been planning on placing the CPI-2 control head to the left of PFD with the related switches below it. However, I'm wondering if there might be reason to place it at the top of my center stack (beside a Garmin G-5). Operationally, does its placement make much difference to you?

I have an RV-8 with a Dual CPI2. My CPI2 display/controller is mounted on the panel to the right of my AFS 4500. I have 4 round gauges on the right side of the panel. The CPI2 display/controller is situated in the left lower corner of the four gauges.

Works great.

I am planning to use the SDS system and have seen people putting the control head in the center both low or high. If you plan on flying from the right seat this might be a consideration. In addition, I find I do most of the button pushing with my right hand whilst my left hand is on the control stick.

I have heard Vans is coming out with a mod that moves the jettison canopy handle over to the left side thereby freeing up valuable real estate in the center of the panel. I have seen nothing official yet.

Best,
Jim

I am planning to use the SDS system and have seen people putting the control head in the center both low or high. If you plan on flying from the right seat this might be a consideration. In addition, I find I do most of the button pushing with my right hand whilst my left hand is on the control stick.

I have heard Vans is coming out with a mod that moves the jettison canopy handle over to the left side thereby freeing up valuable real estate in the center of the panel. I have seen nothing official yet.

Best,
Jim

I wish that I had more room in the center for engine switches but I haven't really looked too much at switch placement yet. Maybe the needed room is there.

Rian Johnson mentioned the canopy jettison handle mod in the "What's New at Van's" forum at OSH. They mentioned three handy new mods for the -14, all just in time for me: jettison handle, new canopy struts for the taildragger, and a new flap motor.

Other than initial setup and pushing the LOP switch (which I believe can be remote mounted) there isn’t much button pushing needed with the CPi-2. I mounted the programmer/control head in the only space available. More important IMO is where the switches are located. I placed the power and kill switches in the upper left of my panel so I could operate them with my left hand while keeping my right hand on the stick during run ups.

Attachments

• BFEE9A1C-EB89-4C70-8F99-BFB231722E62.jpg
    BFEE9A1C-EB89-4C70-8F99-BFB231722E62.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 157
More important IMO is where the switches are located. I placed the power and kill switches in the upper left of my panel so I could operate them with my left hand while keeping my right hand on the stick during run ups.

Yeah, for that reason, in my -14, I think I need to do my best to get those switches into the center panel where I can operate them with my right hand and keep the stick in my left. But, maybe I can leave the control head upper left and leave the canopy jettison handle alone.

Thanks.

Note to all: I'd still appreciate further input if anyone has experience with these systems.

Yeah, for that reason, in my -14, I think I need to do my best to get those switches into the center panel where I can operate them with my right hand and keep the stick in my left. But, maybe I can leave the control head upper left and leave the canopy jettison handle alone.

Thanks.

I'm with F-1 Rocket re: switch placements.

Think of where ignition switches are in more conventional planes, usually far Left, consider that you really only need easy access to these during start & run-up. I follow this reasoning with all EM-5 & CPi/CPi2 installations I've done. I keep critical ignition switches far from normal in flight action areas (center panel / throttle areas). I also use guard fences on these switches so flailing hands don't hit them in bumpy flight conditions.
As for the control head, main criteria for placement would be ease to activate the LOP switch in flight, secondarily is the display visibility as after the initial CPi setup (first 3 hrs of flight?) you don't really have to touch or monitor it...

Other than initial setup and pushing the LOP switch (which I believe can be remote mounted) there isn’t much button pushing needed with the CPi-2. I mounted the programmer/control head in the only space available. More important IMO is where the switches are located. I placed the power and kill switches in the upper left of my panel so I could operate them with my left hand while keeping my right hand on the stick during run ups.

Nice panel! What is down in front of the stick? Is there a panel there too? Who did your panel?

I'm with F-1 Rocket re: switch placements.

Think of where ignition switches are in more conventional planes, usually far Left, consider that you really only need easy access to these during start & run-up. I follow this reasoning with all EM-5 & CPi/CPi2 installations I've done. I keep critical ignition switches far from normal in flight action areas (center panel / throttle areas). I also use guard fences on these switches so flailing hands don't hit them in bumpy flight conditions.
As for the control head, main criteria for placement would be ease to activate the LOP switch in flight, secondarily is the display visibility as after the initial CPi setup (first 3 hrs of flight?) you don't really have to touch or monitor it...

Great input! Thanks, Ralph!

Back