What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV’s on the CBS Saturday Morning Show Today (7/10) !

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Don’t know why I didn’t post this earlier, but if you’re looking for something to put on the TV with your morning coffee today, there’s a little feature on the CBS Saturday Morning Show where I took Jeff Glor (the host) flying in the Valkyrie! Just saw the teaser…. Will be on sometime during the show!

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up!

Got it recording!!

The teaser was just on at 7:27 central daylight time.

Last edited:
Great job Paul. Congratulations. I WAS a little disappointed that Louise didn't make an appearance.

Great job Paul. Congratulations. I WAS a little disappointed that Louise didn't make an appearance.

Thanks Mel - and as you can imagine, Louise was running at 110% the whole time they were here, running logistics and keeping camera folks from wandering into props……

Last edited:
A saved video?

Just did an on-line search of CBS This Morning | Saturday, no joy of a video in all of their features this morning unless I missed it.

Did anyone save a video that can be posted?

NEVER MIND _ SAW THE POST MADE WHILE TYPING THIS ONE.

Outstanding! Great interview as expected, and the added photos and video to build the background/foundation story really popped the whole piece. Sweet view of the whole hangar too. Those production guys can really pack a lot into a short time.

Now waiting for the whole movie!!!

Thanks Paul!

Enjoyed the interview

Mrs. and I were watching the show this morning while drinking coffee, and saw your interview. We both really enjoyed it, nice job, Paul. You made me smile when Jeff asked if he could land, and you said “not today”.
Hopefully we can chat again, at OSH HBC this year.
Cheers!

Thanks for posting the links folks - and thanks for watching!

A little inside baseball - we tried to arrange this last year when the book came out, but COVID wouldn’t allow the CBS folks to travel, and they really wanted to fly with me. So when they called back this spring, we were pretty happy that they had remembered! We arranged the date, and set the schedule up so we could fly several airplanes, do some Air to Air with Louise flying, and really get a bunch of video.

So of course….the day arrives, and we have winds at 20 knots, gusting to 30 first thing in the morning, and predicted to only get worse as the day progressed! At least they were more or less down the runway. So the guys arrived, and we said “if we’re going to fly, we have to go NOW!” They put a couple of GoPros on the Valkyrie in a hurry, and we launched, with me thinking “great, all I have to do is get him up for a little flight and land in this wind once.” So we’re three miles out, climbing away, and Louise comes on the radio “Uh, Iron….we need you to come back - they forgot to turn on the GoPros!”

So…..had to land in the gusts, turn on the cameras, and then do the flight again. So when you see the wing rock on landing, realize that the winds were by then gusting to 35! At least they were down the runway……more or less…. ;)

Paul

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that piece, Paul. Thank you for sitting for that. You have a beautiful backyard out there. v/r,dr

As soon as I saw your post I changed channels but it wasn't on this morning in the LA market. That's what lead me to search for the video. Good job Paul! Thanks for sharing.

-Marc

Thanks for the link

I missed seeing it live but very glad to see the video. Nice to see Dayton Airpark in the news especially since that is where I fly into and park when I visit my Dayton brother-in-law.

Last edited:
My pal told me about the cool flight director with a hangar full of planes that was interviewed on CBS. He was impressed when I said, “Oh, that’s Paul Dye”. He loved the piece. I did too.

Enjoyed the interview

I was one of the lucky few who visited that hangar. It was in August 2015 on a time building trip before Iron Jet era. Met Russian dogs too. Enjoyed Paul and Louise hospitality and had a great time. Left next morning with a medallion forged from space metal. That trophy travels in my plane since.

Paul's_hangar_-_1.jpeg

Paul's_hangar_-_1_(1).jpeg

Loved it!

Excellent interview and flight, Paul! Thanks for being such a great GA/Experimental ambassador for us all!

Well done Paul. I like the model of the Jupiter II outside your office. I bet someone, somewhere thinks it's an actual spacecraft out of Area 51 or some such place and telling their friends they have "proof" from a NASA flight director. LOL

Well done Paul. I like the model of the Jupiter II outside your office. I bet someone, somewhere thinks it's an actual spacecraft out of Area 51 or some such place and telling their friends they have "proof" from a NASA flight director. LOL

Only us "OLD TIMERS" remember the Jupiter II. :eek:

Back