What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Plans

jssaylor2007

Do the plans that come with the newer kits contain the giant drafting table size drawings/plans that the older kits contained? Talking about like the RV-10 RV-14.

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks a ton. I really wished I lived closer to some EAA activity. There are a ton of things I could learn from just walking around someone's hangar who was doing a build.

Size matters...

I don't have the answer to your question, but my prehistoric RV-4 plans are desktop 24X36 (I believe) size, which in my opinion are the way all blueprints should be. I made copies and always had a sacrificial one on the bench to write notes and dates on while working. Of course, the RV-3,4,6 needed blueprints due to extensive lay-outs, where the later kits require more of an "assembly" drawing, but the bigger, the better.

Agreed on size matters.

I don't have the answer to your question, but my prehistoric RV-4 plans are desktop 24X36 (I believe) size, which in my opinion are the way all blueprints should be. I made copies and always had a sacrificial one on the bench to write notes and dates on while working. Of course, the RV-3,4,6 needed blueprints due to extensive lay-outs, where the later kits require more of an "assembly" drawing, but the bigger, the better.

I wonder if Vans might offer some large format (24x36) drawings/plans of the -10.

Print them

If you don't already have it, you can buy the plans & construction manual from Van's for $10 on a memory stick. Just walk that into your local print shop and get whatever size you need/want printed.

Do the plans that come with the newer kits contain the giant drafting table size drawings/plans that the older kits contained? Talking about like the RV-10 RV-14.

The 10 doesn't come with plans at all. It comes with assembly instructions. There are some drawings for pieces that need to be fabricated from angle or flat stock but that's it.

You can view most of the -14 and some of the -10 instructions on van's site under Service Information and Revisions.

The RV-14 empennage kit has an 11x16 "instruction manual". Each section of the manual covers a major piece - Vertical Stab (chapter 6), Rudder (Chapter 7), etc. There is not a large engineering drawing for the any of the empennage sub kits that I've seen that has all the details. Each chapter has steps and drawings with them that provide just enough information to get through that set of steps / page.

Van's posts revisions to the plans, and you can view a few here to get an idea of what they look like:
Chapter 6
Chapter 8

If you're considering any of the platforms, $10 to Van's gets you the preview plans on a USB stick. Highly worth it.

Edit: What jacoby said.

The RV-14 empennage kit has an 11x16 "instruction manual". Each section of the manual covers a major piece - Vertical Stab (chapter 6), Rudder (Chapter 7), etc. There is not a large engineering drawing for the any of the empennage sub kits that I've seen that has all the details. Each chapter has steps and drawings with them that provide just enough information to get through that set of steps / page.

Van's posts revisions to the plans, and you can view a few here to get an idea of what they look like:
Chapter 6
Chapter 8

If you're considering any of the platforms, $10 to Van's gets you the preview plans on a USB stick. Highly worth it.

Edit: What jacoby said.

So as far as the DVD's that Vans has for sale, are any worth it? I'm 100% new to this. I need to start rounding up some tools I imagine, but the list is a bit overwhelming.

There are advantages to drawings

The RV-4 plans are quite spartan; however, drawing to scale (sometimes full) do have advantages. I have/I've had to measure the actual drawings to determine some fab dimensions. As the later kits don't require the builder to make a lot (any?) parts the new "instruction book" approach is probably more appropriate. Opinions?

Mentor

So as far as the DVD's that Vans has for sale, are any worth it? I'm 100% new to this. I need to start rounding up some tools I imagine, but the list is a bit overwhelming.

I'm sure they are. EAA has tons of free webinar videos. Personally, I lean best "hands on" so I'm a big believer in finding a Mentor.

Believe me I'd love to, but I'm a good hour from the nearest EAA chapter/member, and GA is pretty much dead in all forms near here.

Believe me I'd love to, but I'm a good hour from the nearest EAA chapter/member, and GA is pretty much dead in all forms near here.

Yep. You are a few miles from big cities. In that case find an Internet Mentor. Happy to help if I can. E-mail or Text anytime.

I built my RV-10 from the 11 x 16 (B size) drawings provided, and didn't miss having larger size at all. I did buy the digital plans (on DVD when I bought them 4 years ago, but now provided on a thumb drive) and found them to be well worth the cost. I mostly used them to view plans on my laptop at home while I kept the paper plans in my shop. I also found that it made it easier to find where a particular part was located by using the search function in Acrobat (the reader application).

You could always have the electronic pdf plans printed on a D size or even E size paper at your local office supply store, but it is going to be expensive. So if you want to do this, I suggest you select the specific pages you want in large size and just have those printed, rather than the entire set of drawings. (Not sure of the total number of pages, but perhaps 400-600 since they are double sided? At $3.59 each page at Staples for 24 x 36, printing 400 pages would cost you $1436 !!!

Welcome to the world of RV Building.

I would also recommend a a builders class. It will cost you a few dollars, but you can try all of the tools (tools are highly preference based), and get some training/experience in the process.

It’s an education. Education costs time and money. My experience is that you’ll pay it one way or another.

I would also recommend a a builders class. It will cost you a few dollars, but you can try all of the tools (tools are highly preference based), and get some training/experience in the process.

It’s an education. Education costs time and money. My experience is that you’ll pay it one way or another.

Are there any held in Texas? I maybe could come do one if so.

Are there any held in Texas? I maybe could come do one if so.

Not sure. I’m pretty new to TX, having come from Atlanta about a year ago. I think Synergy air has something in GA now, as well as in the north west? Someone else will probably chime in in a few minutes with an idea.

The RV Adventure

Building an RV is long term commitment AND adventure. You’re 1 hour from a big city???? Lotsa RVs in Texas. I visited the factory in Canada before I bought my engine. I visited builders locally, within 30 miles plus builders in NorCal (400miles away) and in Portland Oregon. Along with a visit to the Mothership. U are getting ready to spend $70K+. I think u need to do some searching for important things and places that will result in builders to talk with and get information & ideas to help u. U will have lots more questions as u take this journey. A mentor is great. More are better. VAF can only help so much.

Building an RV is long term commitment AND adventure. You’re 1 hour from a big city???? Lotsa RVs in Texas. I visited the factory in Canada before I bought my engine. I visited builders locally, within 30 miles plus builders in NorCal (400miles away) and in Portland Oregon. Along with a visit to the Mothership. U are getting ready to spend $70K+. I think u need to do some searching for important things and places that will result in builders to talk with and get information & ideas to help u. U will have lots more questions as u take this journey. A mentor is great. More are better. VAF can only help so much.

I'm an hour from A city. I'm 6-7 hours from Dallas which is the closest major city. I do plan on getting involved in the EAA in Lubbock (hour away.) It's pretty rural where I'm at though, GA is few and far between.

Last edited:
EAA 19

We would like to have you visit our next monthly meeting. We are social distancing and all that; we will meet at 7 pm on the second Tuesday of the month at Lubbock Executive (F82). Fly in if able or drive in. We have numerous aircraft in progress including my restoration of a RV3.

Look at our website for updates and Facebook also.

Jon

We would like to have you visit our next monthly meeting. We are social distancing and all that; we will meet at 7 pm on the second Tuesday of the month at Lubbock Executive (F82). Fly in if able or drive in. We have numerous aircraft in progress including my restoration of a RV3.

Look at our website for updates and Facebook also.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the invite! I would love to come out. How long do the meetings typically last? I'll need to pay due and whatnot, but I'd love to come out and take part. If you could message me that'd be great.

ETA: Is the 2nd tuesday meeting at Hub City or Exec? The website shows it being at Hub City.

Thanks,
Jordan

Last edited:
Back